follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #29
armythug

Drives: Pegasus White 86GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I would get manual car. Manual = man control, Automatic = Machine control (unless you use sport mode).
Some extremists would say, "you need to drive a manual car to be a car enthusiast", I call it BS. Transmission has nothing to do with being an enthusiast; However, it's more practical to use manual to shift up and down than use sport mode in automatic.
I wonder what would those extremists/enthusiasts do with a brand new skyline GTR
Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #30
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armythug View Post
I wonder what would those extremists/enthusiasts do with a brand new skyline GTR
They probably can't afford the car. If they do, good for them. They drive a 2 clutch car.
It's good to learn to drive stick car though (sportbike too).
Old 03-03-2012, 04:27 AM   #31
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
We are close to the she that MT will go the way of the dinosaur. With more modern technologies going in and manpower trying to make the perfect AT it's close. Paddle shifters have been around for a while and are constantly improving. Add in traction control and various modes to round out the system will leave you with very little to do behind the wheel but steer.

In 10 years even that will start to go away. There was already a car that drive coast to coast with a human only there to co-pilot.

That being said MT will let you feel more in control of your vehicle, and let you have more direct input. You'll have a greater feel for the car and road, and keep occupied.

Ultimately you have to choose your own path.

MT for me though.
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:54 AM   #32
SLeRoux92

Drives: 2005 Nissan Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
They probably can't afford the car. If they do, good for them. They drive a 2 clutch car.
It's good to learn to drive stick car though (sportbike too).
lol sport bikes are so much easier to shift than cars. I rode for a while and ended up selling my bike after an accident but can jump on one any time and be fine. I don't DD a manual so it still takes a minute for me to adjust when I drive a M/T car... but my next car is going to be a manual, no question
Old 03-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #33
MF_DEUCE
Adventure Enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistax View Post
well i'm relatively new to driving it so, an automatic would be a better bet for now, Until i finish practicing the manual. Ideally automatic off the lot would be better, but i think i'll have more fun mastering manual afterwards though. Only get to buy one car so i want to pick the one ill end up having hte most fun with.
im sorry. but it sounds like you've made your decision and keep making excuses for yourself as to why you "can't" drive M/T on a daily. I learned in a day and it took persistence and will power to drive my mother's VW M/T. If you want to learn you will do it, every person I've taught or converted to M/T has never looked back. In other countries, they start or only drive M/T, so there's no excuse. I laugh at those who say "they're lazy when it comes to shifting" or, MY FAVORITE, "due to the traffic conditions in my area i feel it would be best to drive A/T." Get over the hump of learning and just do it. Simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian View Post
Ultimately you have to choose your own path.
/thread
Old 03-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #34
mistax

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF_DEUCE View Post
im sorry. but it sounds like you've made your decision and keep making excuses for yourself as to why you "can't" drive M/T on a daily. I learned in a day and it took persistence and will power to drive my mother's VW M/T. If you want to learn you will do it, every person I've taught or converted to M/T has never looked back. In other countries, they start or only drive M/T, so there's no excuse. I laugh at those who say "they're lazy when it comes to shifting" or, MY FAVORITE, "due to the traffic conditions in my area i feel it would be best to drive A/T." Get over the hump of learning and just do it. Simple.

/thread
I'll probably just end up getting a manual than

Last edited by mistax; 03-03-2012 at 06:35 AM.
mistax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #35
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Just test drive both? See how you feel, sleep on it, then decide.

Try to avoid a bias going in, see what's more appealing. I don't think you made up your decision yet, or why bother posting it in the first place? You honestly want to know, and there's really no way of knowing until you drive it. Its a good question (if often somewhat repeated...) but hey, you're going to get this car and it'll probably last at least a few years, at most a few decades. So go, try it when its out. No point deciding now though feel free to prepare driving in mt?

After your test drive, compare it to all your pros and cons on what you'll be doing for your life.
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #36
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Don't forget to take into consideration the type of driving you will be doing. Some cities/areas are more manual friendly. Will you have an hour commute in bumper to bumper traffic?, manuals suck in that sort of thing. The auto in this car has a clutch that engages in gears 2-6 so it will feel connected like a manual and in sport mode it will NOT shift until you tell it to. FYI: Ferrari has done away with the manual so don't feel like less of a man somehow if you get the auto. This car is about handling, not power, why not have the convenience of the auto.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:38 AM   #37
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by armythug View Post
Skyline GTR are manual only. The Nissan skyline GTS has auto ,n nissan GTR is dual clutch.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #38
scwewywabbit

Drives: Wienermobile
from all the reviews, it seems like this car's manual is fairly lenient and easy to control / shift, so I think this would definitely be a good car to learn manual on, as compared to say, the Genesis Coupe, which manual for some reason feels like that of a box truck.

I have a feeling the transmission on here has more of the s2000 feel than the GenCoupe feel, which is a great thing for beginners like me.
scwewywabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #39
dori.
Seņor Member

Drives: white BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
IMHO, spend $300 on some shitty early 90s toyota tercel or something that's stick.

drive it around till you blow the clutch or the motor dies

then step into a new car.

It's always good to know how to drive stick. You never know when your friend with the WRX is gonna be too drunk to drive home and you're the DD
dori. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #40
NumbersGuy

Drives: Nissan
Get whichever one you feel fits you best. Good luck buddy!
NumbersGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #41
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
You said you're "in the process of learning how to drive a manual." Just a hunch... are you at a point of frustration in learning that prompted you to post this thread/are you having second thoughts? It can be tough but don't get discouraged and stick with it.

I've haphazardly thrown myself into this before. My 1st manual car was driven off the dealer lot by me stalling a few times with jerky shifting (my family who went with me didn't know how to drive manual). Daily stalling on the freeway on my commute to/from work in SoCal traffic was frustrating for a while. But I stuck with my car and forced myself to learn. My 1st year or 2 took extra mental energy compared to how I drive now which is completely effortless/carefree even in stop-n-go traffic. The act becomes a part of you... like remembering to breathe.

You seem to have an inkling of interest in the manual. Don't let fear deny yourself of your curiosity. Answer the question yourself and get the manual. That's the only way to fully define the truth you're looking for. If it doesn't grow on you, then, oh well, lesson learned for your next car purchase. But I hope you let that inkling fully develop into an appreciation of a handy, fun little skill to have. It's a peculiarity in life God gave us worth experiencing through mastery. Especially nowadays before it goes extinct.

I did not know this. I thought auto would cost more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
I think tranzformer misspoke; the auto is an option and is thus more expensive than the manual.

Typo on my mobile device. Stupid fat fingers. Yes auto will be $1000 more. Manual standard.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #42
jor8888

Drives: sad
auto faster than manual 99% of the time, manual is only good for fun drive if u live in area with no traffic and no stoplight every 1 block.
jor8888 is offline   Reply With Quote