follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 02-09-2023, 01:03 PM   #1583
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
I think it's doing something but hard to say. The angle of my bracket is the only thing that I'm unsure about. It seems solid though.

The fact that the OEM intake had a brace makes me think it's needed whether ASM says so or not. Until it was brought up I didn't think much of it, but now I can't see a reason to not run one.
A more vertical brace would provide more compressional and tensile resistance vertically, and if it was at an angle to the block then it would provide a component of compression and tensile resistance for forces that pull and compress in the horizontal plane towards the side of the block and against the bolts. These would be lateral G-forces, which are relatively minimal compared to vertical forces.

Your brace combines all planes, including forces in the frontal plane from acceleration and deceleration, which is also not insignificant, but far less.

The lateral and frontal forces are not only less intense or abrupt, but their occurrence is dramatically less by several factors, and that should be obvious. The motor vibrating and the repeated cycle of road vibration is significantly more frequent and destructive. This also is the case because of the design of the manifold. The bolts and structure of the manifold provide plenty of compressional and tensile resistance in the lateral and frontal planes, but the short height of the flange and long length of the runners and weight of the manifold creates a significant lever where minimal vertical forces can play a larger role in material deflection.

I think I will make a brace too, if not to avoid manifold fracture, it may help to reduce NVH too. Where did you get the tubing?
Old 02-09-2023, 01:22 PM   #1584
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
A more vertical brace would provide more compressional and tensile resistance vertically, and if it was at an angle to the block then it would provide a component of compression and tensile resistance for forces that pull and compress in the horizontal plane towards the side of the block and against the bolts. These would be lateral G-forces, which are relatively minimal compared to vertical forces.

Your brace combines all planes, including forces in the frontal plane from acceleration and deceleration, which is also not insignificant, but far less.

The lateral and frontal forces are not only less intense or abrupt, but their occurrence is dramatically less by several factors, and that should be obvious. The motor vibrating and the repeated cycle of road vibration is significantly more frequent and destructive. This also is the case because of the design of the manifold. The bolts and structure of the manifold provide plenty of compressional and tensile resistance in the lateral and frontal planes, but the short height of the flange and long length of the runners and weight of the manifold creates a significant lever where minimal vertical forces can play a larger role in material deflection.

I think I will make a brace too, if not to avoid manifold fracture, it may help to reduce NVH too. Where did you get the tubing?

3/4" tube from Lowe's I think. The sticker says Hillman and when I pull up the info on Lowe's it says 1/8 or 11 gauge thickness. It was a 36" stick and I think I used maybe 20"?

If I triangulated the bracket towards the alternator I think it would be better but there's not much space or bolt area available that screamed "use me". This is the first version, possibly the last, but it could be improved I think.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-09-2023), Kelse92 (02-09-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 10:31 AM   #1585
Kelse92
At the track

Drives: '14 FRS - Former e92 M3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Anyone looked at putting a K20Z3 / RBC or K20Z4 / RSP head on their motor? It seems like they share the same layout as the K24A2 head so our existing intake manifold and coolant neck would work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
This was something I dove heavily into. Almost bought an RBC and searched far and wide for an RSP. If you found an RBC ready to bolt in for a good deal, say $500 or so it may be worth it. I tried to find some dyno plots and saw that Kpower put together one in an E30. It mentioned only a 5 hp gain. Don't know if cams will make better use of the added CFM but it doesn't appear to be worth it unless you just had one kicking around.
I am thinking about revisiting this idea you guys had... After seeing just the DIC's and thinking on it for awhile, I think even with the DIC's on e85 I'm going to fall a little short of the power goals I'm trying/needing to make.
My car is stupid light for an 86, but I have a feeling if my avg pwr is only around 220-225 I'm going to be disappointed and looking for other ways to take points that aren't worth it for classing. I also want to finish the front-half of my cage at some point so I'd like to future proof power numbers for a little added weight to the car and maybe give myself the option to run non-DOT tires and up-class.

I found a pretty good deal on a machined RBC head with valvetrain upgrades... Leaning towards just going that route at this point. Any reasons I should avoid it? I was trying to do this swap cheap-ish but now here I am considering a built head lol but the price on the one I found seems worth the gamble.
Old 02-10-2023, 10:50 AM   #1586
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
I am thinking about revisiting this idea you guys had... After seeing just the DIC's and thinking on it for awhile, I think even with the DIC's on e85 I'm going to fall a little short of the power goals I'm trying/needing to make.
My car is stupid light for an 86, but I have a feeling if my avg pwr is only around 220-225 I'm going to be disappointed and looking for other ways to take points that aren't worth it for classing. I also want to finish the front-half of my cage at some point so I'd like to future proof power numbers for a little added weight to the car and maybe give myself the option to run non-DOT tires and up-class.

I found a pretty good deal on a machined RBC head with valvetrain upgrades... Leaning towards just going that route at this point. Any reasons I should avoid it? I was trying to do this swap cheap-ish but now here I am considering a built head lol but the price on the one I found seems worth the gamble.

If the deal is good it can add 5-10 hp depending on who you ask. If you already have upgraded valves jump to the DC 2.2 and put them to work.
Kelse92 (02-10-2023), RedReplicant (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 10:58 AM   #1587
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,218 Times in 520 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The more I read about the ported TSX head / RSP / RBC head on a K24 the more it kinda sunk in that you really need to be above the DIC area cam wise for them to work well and not just trade midrange for top end.

I dunno though.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:01 AM   #1588
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
The more I read about the ported TSX head / RSP / RBC head on a K24 the more it kinda sunk in that you really need to be above the DIC area cam wise for them to work well and not just trade midrange for top end.

I dunno though.

I'm curious about this as well. Your DIC numbers have had me consider getting them and selling off the DC4, 2.2 and the head. Less hassle but still some gains. I think I'm in that paralysis by analysis stage right now. Just need to make a decision and stick with it.
funkjaw (02-11-2023), RedReplicant (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:15 AM   #1589
RedReplicant

Also, Kelse92, you might want to talk to Dai, if you haven't yet. He doesn't post here, just lurks, but he had his 13:1 / ported K20A2 head / DC 2.2 on the dyno a couple of weeks ago and made in the area of power that you're looking for.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:16 AM   #1590
Kelse92
At the track

That's what I don't want to get into, analysis paralysis. Cause it's easy to do!
This head I found seems worth the gamble, I'm not a huge fan of the cams the owner chose (Skunk2 Tuner Stage 1) but suppose those could be swapped again again down the line, valvetrain building beyond a DIC isn't something we necessarily want to mess with around here so having the valves/springs done is a big plus and opens up some more options down the road I think. Guess I'll at least try it out and see what happens numbers wise
Old 02-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #1591
Kelse92
At the track

Quote:
Also, Kelse92, you might want to talk to Dai, if you haven't yet. He doesn't post here, just lurks, but he had his 13:1 / ported K20A2 head / DC 2.2 on the dyno a couple of weeks ago and made in the area of power that you're looking for.
And yeah, I talk to him quite a bit, his is a bit more built than I'd like to do on the bottom-end, but the power numbers were spot-on for what I need which got me thinking...I think the range can be had with just the head
RedReplicant (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 11:35 AM   #1592
RedReplicant

Any of you ever managed to fault ABS? I had something weird happen yesterday where ABS stopped working after spinning the tires through 1st, 2nd, and 3rd in some water. Restarting the car, replugging the ABS unit, unplugging rear wheel speed sensors didn't change their reported speed, etc.

I had to clear the ABS codes and recalibrate with Techstream before it started working again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
And yeah, I talk to him quite a bit, his is a bit more built than I'd like to do on the bottom-end, but the power numbers were spot-on for what I need which got me thinking...I think the range can be had with just the head
The problem (imo) with this on a track car is that the cams / head shift the power right, so you're forced to rev the motor higher than is 'safe' with stock rods/pistons for reliability when beaten on. Street cars can get away with it forever but yeah.

This is why I picked DICs, they peak by 7300-7400-ish.
Old 02-10-2023, 01:55 PM   #1593
Kelse92
At the track

Yeah, I am going to need to consider the rev range a bit. I'm thinking the car will lose some weight with the swap and will gain some weight with the remaining parts of the cage added, so in a perfect world hopefully peak power I get is more than I need so I can limit the revs a bit and tune to where I want to be and best-case ballast up if I need to.
RedReplicant (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 08:12 PM   #1594
ML

Drives: 13 White MT FR-S
Thanked 1,130 Times in 522 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure if anyone was thinking about doing the cd009 swap but it was really easy, but holy shit is the fitment need a lot of work. Took me about 3 days of cutting, hammering, bending, grinding to get everything to fit and then find the header just slightly hits the transmission...also the pipe with the o2 sensor just straight will not work. Hits the new mount and I think it would probably melt the plastic in the mount its so close anyway.

Build Thread https://www.instagram.com/mount_tele_lion/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Symbiont View Post
I swear I will punch your car if you put these on. Right in the face.
ML is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ML For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (02-11-2023), endless_pain (02-13-2023), funkjaw (02-11-2023), Irace86.2.0 (02-10-2023), Kelse92 (02-11-2023), RedReplicant (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 09:30 PM   #1595
RedReplicant

That looks... not fun. Curious to see how you end up routing the thing.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:45 AM   #1596
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Yeah, looks like after the merge you may have to cut and start from scratch. Good time to weld on a v band and skip the three bolt flange too. I don't know if it will gain any room but make assembly a lot easier.
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (02-11-2023)