follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-28-2015, 01:33 PM   #29
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
Odds are if you feel like the police are targeting you, its probably your fault not the car.
I might think so, if it weren't for the fact that I have two vehicles that I drive pretty much in the same conservative manner.

If I'm driving the old Jeep Cherokee, cops never look twice at me.

If I'm driving the red BRZ, cops make obvious lane changes to get in behind me, turn when I turn to follow me, tailgate me aggressively (in some extreme cases) and hit me significantly more often with speed detection. There is a definite, noticeable difference.

Maybe you don't profile that way. Maybe you don't think you do. But I'm getting a little tired of cops in general immediately turning into assholes when they see my car.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #30
FRSNewb

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
If I'm driving the red BRZ, cops make obvious lane changes to get in behind me, turn when I turn to follow me, tailgate me aggressively (in some extreme cases) and hit me significantly more often with speed detection. There is a definite, noticeable difference.

Maybe you don't profile that way. Maybe you don't think you do. But I'm getting a little tired of cops in general immediately turning into assholes when they see my car.
I think red cars in general attract more police attention. They apparently are also the most common colour of cars stolen and are the most expensive colour of cars to insure
Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkush View Post
I do that in 2 months
Me too 8K divided by 2 is my 4K a month.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #32
mmmcambelsoup

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Literally just got an 80mph in a 60mph zone/freeway citation. Didn't even bother trying to converse w/ the cop. Damn it, charge it to the game.

... 10 min later catch a honk and from a toyota tundra. lol #optimistic

10 series // TRD x Turbo Build:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79474

Last edited by mmmcambelsoup; 01-28-2015 at 02:02 PM.
mmmcambelsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mmmcambelsoup For This Useful Post:
FRSTRM (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #33
Akari

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
I might think so, if it weren't for the fact that I have two vehicles that I drive pretty much in the same conservative manner.

If I'm driving the old Jeep Cherokee, cops never look twice at me.

This must be specific to the area you drive in. One person's experience in one area doesn't necessarily make it true everywhere, and many of us have the opposite experience.
Akari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Akari For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #34
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
no issues here

I've had some officers follow me very closely for a few km's and a couple have followed me into my parking lot at work, which I find odd. I think they want to pull me over but when they run my plates and see I have no tickets in the past 12 years they just move on. With a vanity plate on my car, doesn't make much sense to dry like a maniac as its easy to remember the plate. I always drive 10-12 km over the posted limit except schools. Having a child I don't mess with that environment.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pbrown For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #35
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbrown View Post
doesn't make much sense to dry like a maniac .
Sorry! Was just to good to let slip by!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #36
Rabbit of Caerbonnog
Run Away!

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

Well I dry like a maniac after I wash the car. Damn water stains.
Rabbit of Caerbonnog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #37
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
I've been pulled over twice so far. First time I was in PA with NJ tags late at night heading home got pulled over because the cop said I was speeding 40 in a 25 which is weird cause I was only going 30 but whatever. He asked why I was in PA and tried to insinuate that I was a drug dealer or I stole the car. I told him to run my name and tags and you will see I'm squeaky clean not one speeding ticket. I ended up getting a ticket for just tint.

Second time time I was pulled over the officer was way cooler the only reason I was stopped was because I was pulling out a Home Depot at 3 am. I explained to him I had gotten a text from some girl I just meet at the bar to come over. And had to pull over to put the address in my gps. Said he completely understood and wished me luck and sent me on my way lol.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brandonblt2 For This Useful Post:
IDFWU 420 (01-29-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #38
extrashaky

Backing up for a minute:

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlikeahole View Post
Also most cops don't enjoy writting tickets and will avoid it if they can...
I don't believe that for a second, because it doesn't make any sense. Some may not enjoy it, but I don't believe even those try to avoid it because they have very strong incentives to write those tickets. If a cop is set up in a speed trap out on the highway, writing tickets is why he's there. If he comes back with no tickets, I would suspect that a supervisor would be wondering what the hell he's doing out there all day. For that matter, I have been told point blank by more than one cop that they had quotas they were expected to meet, and it's not uncommon for governments to budget for ticket revenue before it's collected, regardless of legality. A cop is not going to try to avoid writing a ticket with such strong incentives to the contrary.

And I don't believe that most cops don't enjoy writing tickets. They selected a job where they get to bully people and get away with it. That kind of work is naturally going to attract bullies. It's no different from any other kid of work that attracts a particular type of person. Auto repair is going to attract people who like working on machines, even though there are some who aren't very good at it. Actuarial is going to attract people who prefer working with numbers, even though someone with an actual personality might sneak through. Police work is going to attract people who enjoy the feeling of power over others.

Furthermore, if a cop chooses to write a ticket just because he doesn't like the driver, that cop has no business carrying a badge and gun. He's there for law enforcement, not for I-don't-like-your-tone-so-fuck-you enforcement. I've personally witnessed numerous incidents where cops were assholes from the outset, with no provocation at all, yet we're all supposed to love cops and be nice to them. You reap what you sow.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
IDFWU 420 (01-29-2015), Target70 (01-30-2015), WolfsFang (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 03:08 PM   #39
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah yes, a classic typing at work error. Was in London in early December for some training and was going to look you up but driving down in the wind storm for 10 hours kind of messed with that plan. didn't get in until 9pm instead of 6. Leaving London, I went to the full serve gas station out by the strip club ( Flesh Gordons I believe) and the attendant started wiping the dirt off the car with his glove. needless to say I quickly put a stop to that. If you're ever in the Ottawa area shoot me a pm. will give you a local tour of the city and introduce you to others, 20+ of us get together every Friday night for meets. strong group of enthusiasts here. Think there were 11 FRS/BRZ at the last track day in Calabogie.
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pbrown For This Useful Post:
austin_kw (01-28-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #40
Tcoat

Quote:
Backing up for a minute:

I don't believe that for a second, because it doesn't make any sense. Some may not enjoy it, but I don't believe even those try to avoid it because they have very strong incentives to write those tickets. If a cop is set up in a speed trap out on the highway, writing tickets is why he's there. If he comes back with no tickets, I would suspect that a supervisor would be wondering what the hell he's doing out there all day. For that matter, I have been told point blank by more than one cop that they had quotas they were expected to meet, and it's not uncommon for governments to budget for ticket revenue before it's collected, regardless of legality. A cop is not going to try to avoid writing a ticket with such strong incentives to the contrary.

And I don't believe that most cops don't enjoy writing tickets. They selected a job where they get to bully people and get away with it. That kind of work is naturally going to attract bullies. It's no different from any other kid of work that attracts a particular type of person. Auto repair is going to attract people who like working on machines, even though there are some who aren't very good at it. Actuarial is going to attract people who prefer working with numbers, even though someone with an actual personality might sneak through. Police work is going to attract people who enjoy the feeling of power over others.

Furthermore, if a cop chooses to write a ticket just because he doesn't like the driver, that cop has no business carrying a badge and gun. He's there for law enforcement, not for I-don't-like-your-tone-so-fuck-you enforcement. I've personally witnessed numerous incidents where cops were assholes from the outset, with no provocation at all, yet we're all supposed to love cops and be nice to them. You reap what you sow.
Canada Man Canada!
And no the old "cops everywhere are all the same" does not play!
Ace0711 (02-26-2015)
Old 01-28-2015, 03:09 PM   #41
extrashaky

Quote:
Now, of course I don't "know" what they are actually doing but all appearances tell me they are checking my plates. When I as the owner come up as an "old" guy with zero tickets they leave me alone. I am not convinced that it would be the same story if young with a bunch of infractions.
Quote:
I've had some officers follow me very closely for a few km's and a couple have followed me into my parking lot at work, which I find odd. I think they want to pull me over but when they run my plates and see I have no tickets in the past 12 years they just move on.
I've had this happen to me also, where I can see the guy weaving around on the road because he's looking me up in his computer.

Here's the problem: Why the hell are they following us in the first place?

If we haven't done anything wrong, it doesn't matter how old we are or how many tickets we have. If I'm obeying the speed limit but have tickets on my record, how is past action any cause to pull me over?
Old 01-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #42
Tcoat

Quote:
Ah yes, a classic typing at work error. Was in London in early December for some training and was going to look you up but driving down in the wind storm for 10 hours kind of messed with that plan. didn't get in until 9pm instead of 6. Leaving London, I went to the full serve gas station out by the strip club ( Flesh Gordons I believe) and the attendant started wiping the dirt off the car with his glove. needless to say I quickly put a stop to that. If you're ever in the Ottawa area shoot me a pm. will give you a local tour of the city and introduce you to others, 20+ of us get together every Friday night for meets. strong group of enthusiasts here. Think there were 11 FRS/BRZ at the last track day in Calabogie.
To bad it was late!
I worked there when I was 12 to 15 (Gas station you went to not the strip club)! and grew up right across the street when that part of London was still undeveloped.

Was posted in Ottawa for about 8 months and driving staff cars meant I saw a lot of it. Doubt it has changed much but will certainly drop you a note if I go there.