follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
I've read so much content on the net about this car, and the primary gripe that I've seen is lack of power. I find it rather amusing. So many people care about stock hp/tq numbers... but, the type of people that are concerned with hp/tq... don't they plan on modding their cars anyway?

I think the twins are a fantastic platform to mod from. 200 hp/151 tq isn't bad at all coming out of an N/A 2.0L engine IMO. Regardless, the low weight/CoG and good balance is something you can't easily mod/change. I'd rather have a great Chassis and great looking car, than a boxy car that looks ugly but has more stock hp/tq.

There are also cars out there that come specifically detuned from the factory, like the 2003/2004 Ford Cobra (Termi). I know that is a more radical example, but still... I don't understand why so many people are focusing on the stock numbers rather than the mod potential.

From all that I've read about our cars so far, it seems like engine in the twins has alot of modding potential.

Did anyone purchase an FRS/BRZ without the intent of modding, and expected it to be fast?

I guess I don't understand what all of the complaints are about... This car was designed to appeal to the "tuner" market, was it not?

EDIT: Also, I didn't purchase this car strictly to buy a "sports" car. I bought this car because it was basically an upgraded version of the 7th Gen Celica... great gas mileage for a DD, while looking great and offering a fun driving experience. Although... now that I have the car, I do eventually plan on turning this into a track car while still maintaining it as a DD (most likely by utilizing an Open Flash or something where I can toggle between ECU maps).
It's weird, but, I never modified a car before this one and didn't plan on it; however, I have the bug now. I loved the car as soon as I test drove it. Is the car slow - no. Is the car fast - depends on your car experience. I bought the car for its driving dynamics because it feels like an extension of myself. Anyone that owns one will eventually gain enough experience to want more power, but, you shouldn't be surprised about the car's powerband if you test drove it.
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
So its not a real sports car unless it has brake pads that can handle track days?

I can't take this forum anymore, its new bullshit everyday for this car.
Demandred7 (09-20-2013), horrorbiz (09-20-2013), Marchy (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
So its not a real sports car unless it has brake pads that can handle track days?

I can't take this forum anymore, its new bullshit everyday for this car.
I have never found the brakes to be lacking and I would definitely have different brakes for track days. I firmly believe that it is a real sports car because that is why I bought it.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
meadowz06
THE CORVETTE KING!

Drives: 2013 FR-S, and 2016 FR-S!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I completely disagree with BOTH articles. The FR-S is NOT a starters sports car. I have owned multiple 500+hp Corvette's and I do not feel out of place one bit in the FR-S. It was not built as a straight line performance car. And just because the FR-S cost 25,000 does not make it a starter car. It is a fantastic driving car REGARDLESS of the price. It drives better than cars costing 3 times as much. And the Cayman has that God awful shape that resembles a 911. Horrible. As far as the Porsche being a dream car, I don't think so. Dream cars are named Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, etc. Actually the FR-S looks more "exotic" than the Cayman. Did I make my point?
:happy0180:
The Following User Says Thank You to meadowz06 For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
bkblitzed
is better than you

Drives: 2013 raven FRS
Thanked 1,347 Times in 745 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
a low powered rwd, neutral feeling car is a great beginners car, that can even excite experienced drivers just because of how easy you can throw the car around.
bkblitzed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bkblitzed For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #20
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowz06 View Post
I completely disagree with BOTH articles. The FR-S is NOT a starters sports car. I have owned multiple 500+hp Corvette's and I do not feel out of place one bit in the FR-S. It was not built as a straight line performance car. And just because the FR-S cost 25,000 does not make it a starter car. It is a fantastic driving car REGARDLESS of the price. It drives better than cars costing 3 times as much. And the Cayman has that God awful shape that resembles a 911. Horrible. As far as the Porsche being a dream car, I don't think so. Dream cars are named Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, etc. Actually the FR-S looks more "exotic" than the Cayman. Did I make my point?
There is definitely a variety of reasons why people have come to the FR-S. There is obviously a certain percentage that this is a beginner's enthusiast car and there are others that have sampled a variety of platforms and have realised that the FR-S is simply a great drivers car. To quote a car reviewer, "this car is such a willing playful thing.". I think calling a Porsche an exotic might be somewhat of a stretch, but, it is definitely a sports car worth aspiring to. For me, I would prefer a 911 Turbo S, but a Cayman is considerably more affordable.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
Asinar

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Firestorm
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowz06 View Post
As with many of these arguments, it depends on how you define the term being argued over. I choose to define "starter sports car" as "a sports car accessible to someone with limited resources and experience that leaves the owner prepared for more demanding vehicles." (I'll let someone else define "sports car".) A low price is requisite under this definition but not sufficient to make it good.

A $20k sports car that leaves novice owners embedded in trees would not make a good starter car. A $20k sports car that acts like its price won't train the user how to properly handle a performance platform. Fundamentally, a good "starter sports car" will have to be an at least passable sports car and, as everyone points out, the twins are very good sports cars. Possibly the only feature of the 86 which is at odds between "good sports car" and "good starter sports car" is the lack of excess power. It helps keep newbies (like myself) out of trouble but I can understand how some drivers can find it limiting.

Just because something's good for (or even designed for) amateurs doesn't make it inadequate for serious users.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #22
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ivey View Post
I notice you drive a Camry. So, WTF are you talking about?
Yes, what the fuck am I talking about? Didn't know you have to own a FRS/BRZ to be qualified to talk about these things on internet forums.

But to each their own.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #23
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
According to that definition, there'd be no outright sports cars on the market. Every car needs to have some parts upgraded for extended track use, whether it's tires, brakes, oil cooler, suspension, etc.

You're conflating sports car with race car.
I think you misunderstand what I was getting at...

The tidbit about track use/spirited driving was in reference to the weak points on our cars. If you got a more "pure" sports car, the weak points aren't so glaring. A 350Z track edition comes to mind.

There will always be a trade-off for what we get with our cars, the FRS/BRZ is a good starting point for someone wanting to get a sports car without breaking the bank, or someone else looking for a car that can get a lot more performance and bang for the buck with a few minor mods (i.e. most of us, myself included).

That's all I was getting at.

-alex
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (09-20-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #24
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

The tidbit about track use/spirited driving was in reference to the weak points on our cars. If you got a more "pure" sports car, the weak points aren't so glaring. A 350Z track edition comes to mind.

There will always be a trade-off for what we get with our cars, the FRS/BRZ is a good starting point for someone wanting to get a sports car without breaking the bank, or someone else looking for a car that can get a lot more performance and bang for the buck with a few minor mods (i.e. most of us, myself included).

-alex
As what some have already said, it all depends on what we consider the definition of a sports car.

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously there was a little misperception going on with the words that you chose. I for one read your other posts as that our cars are: a) not sports cars and b) not enthusiast cars. There are many here that would disagree with those points. Certainly, we don't know your history of cars to judge, but, it is a natural reaction to see simply the guy that drives an appliance is judging whether the FR-S is a sports car..........certainly one does not need to own an FR-S to make for a qualified opinion, but, it doesn't hurt either.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:02 AM   #25
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post

-alex
A 350z track edition is not that different in my mind. Anyone who plans to use it for extended periods at the track will upgrade the brake pads and fluid, and would probably be wise to invest in an oil cooler. It's not really a track-ready car, despite the marketing.

Brake pads, fluid, and oil cooler are the same three upgrades you'd want on the Twins. Probably tires as well so that's one additional item, but the RE040's on the 350z aren't really track tires either, so you'd probably want to replace them at some point anyway. The big difference to me is that the Twins are nearly 500 lbs. lighter and you'll feel that mass in every turn on the track.

I think you might be saying cars like the 350z track are incrementally more track-ready than the Twins, but I think that's arguable both ways and certainly the difference in either direction isn't great enough to say one is clearly a sports car and the other not based on that. Just my 2c.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:09 AM   #26
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
As what some have already said, it all depends on what we consider the definition of a sports car.
Right. I'm old school and only consider two-seat roadsters sports cars. I like the way Toyota labels these GT's worldwide except for North America.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Demandred7 (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #27
Demandred7

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Right. I'm old school and only consider two-seat roadsters sports cars. I like the way Toyota labels these GT's worldwide except for North America.
Personally, I like what Nino Karotta called our cars in his video review of the GT86. The GT86 is more of a "Tiny Tourismo".

If you haven't seen the video, it has great production values and can be found on both YouTube and Vimeo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Demandred7 For This Useful Post:
torqdork (09-21-2013)
Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #28
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred7 View Post
Personally, I like what Nino Karotta called our cars in his video review of the GT86. The GT86 is more of a "Tiny Tourismo".

If you haven't seen the video, it has great production values and can be found on both YouTube and Vimeo.
"You really have to be an aggressive idiot", hehe, (which I plan on doing at the next Porsche Club auto-x next month).

Magnificent production I hadn't seen, well worth 21 minutes of everyone's time who hasn't seen it. Thanks for the tip.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYrvhkIivgA"]Epic Scion FR-S, Toyota GT86 test drive: racetrack, drift & cross-continental dash - HD - YouTube[/ame]

I think I'll go out to the garage to admire my car now.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (09-22-2013), Demandred7 (09-21-2013)