follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-13-2017, 03:29 AM   #155
ZoLazoa

Drives: 95 miata mx-5
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have my exhaust completely detached from the transmission case and it still rattles. It did not make much difference in my case (detached vs attached). I have the IRP fix kit in place. I also have STI engine and Transmission mount which probably isn't helping the rattle either. Based from my setting even with the enlarge hole with rubber mount probably won't help much either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakiv View Post
I have a suggestion for someone to try with their shifter to get rid of the rattling. I brought this up when I got a solid transmission mount on my trans and it has me convinced this is similar. Someone should look at creating a rubber mount to go between the hanger and bolts for the exhaust hanger that bolts on to the transmission. I think it is transmitting engine vibration along with exhaust vibration into the shifter. If someone wants to try that, see if this helps. You are going to have to possibly widen the bolt holes on the hanger and add in a rubber grommet to absorb all of the vibration, otherwise just placing a rubber piece between the hanger and transmission isn't enough because those bolts will be on the hanger and mount. Someone let me know if this helps at all. If I don't hear anything I will test this out myself once I buy the shifter and swap it out. I have been super busy lately with moving and the new house so I can't do much right now.
ZoLazoa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZoLazoa For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (10-13-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 07:06 PM   #156
Drakiv
Project Shadow

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoLazoa View Post
I have my exhaust completely detached from the transmission case and it still rattles. It did not make much difference in my case (detached vs attached). I have the IRP fix kit in place. I also have STI engine and Transmission mount which probably isn't helping the rattle either. Based from my setting even with the enlarge hole with rubber mount probably won't help much either.
well that sucks

Instagram: Drakiv
Drakiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:53 PM   #157
Surok
Wise old man

Drives: 86 GTS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
for those interested, we are doing a group buy in australia for 372 euro including shipping.
Surok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:14 AM   #158
Qc86

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 M6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Didnt go throught the whole thread but anyone running the IRP with mtec shift spring and the shifter bushing? Any opinion or review ? Whats your thought ?
Qc86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #159
Hawk77FT

Drives: GTS 86
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qc86 View Post
Didnt go throught the whole thread but anyone running the IRP with mtec shift spring and the shifter bushing? Any opinion or review ? Whats your thought ?
I have the Mtec springs and the shifter bushing. Love it! very stern and precise. Hard to describe it really
Hawk77FT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:54 PM   #160
NRXRaptor

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
This shifter seems really cool especially after watching subispeed's video, but after reading this thread this seems like a $500+ tuning fork. This is something that makes me go "Aww man." I'll just stick with the stock shifter that neither melts nor freezes my hand

In an unrelated note, I don't really feel like the mtec shift springs made shifting easier. To me it feels more like shifting into each gear is more consistent, but shifting into each gear is harder than before. If I had a do over I'd just stick with a stiffer shifter bushing and save some money. Perhaps a weighted shift knob is in my future, but those are made of metal and that doesn't sound like fun here where winter temps can be below 32F and summer temps above 100F
NRXRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:54 AM   #161
byun

Drives: 2015 BRZ CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I’m running the irp with mtec springs. Loving the shifter especially on track. Makes shifts quick and precise. It does rattle sometimes but really not that bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
byun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #162
fixa

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone driven the car with the reverse lockout button and rod removed to confirm if i3t is the source of the rattle?
fixa is offline   Reply With Quote