follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #15
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfrs View Post
Yea it's not fluid, do you think I should really take mods off just for the check up like to figure out what it is? They aren't going to take the center console apart to see if I have a sts @Dezoris
When it comes to a $4000+ warranty claim chances are they will be instructed to look for modifications to deny claim.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
Celigts

Drives: 2014 Toyota FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Mine grinds in 4th and 5th...but only when speed shifting or down shifting...I've got 10k miles on the car...I assumed it was the clutch cuz I drive it kinda hard day to day...it's all stock...could this be same issue??
Celigts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celigts For This Useful Post:
sweetfrs (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #17
Accurate Race Shop

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celigts View Post
Mine grinds in 4th and 5th...but only when speed shifting or down shifting...I've got 10k miles on the car...I assumed it was the clutch cuz I drive it kinda hard day to day...it's all stock...could this be same issue??
I talked to the dealership I go to today and I was told there is a list of potentially effected vin numbers but no official recall. I bought mine in June 2012 and the other I heard about bought theirs almost a full year later so I have my doubts about that list of vin numbers. I also would assume the same parts supplier made all of the internals for the transmission. It sounds like a nice way of saying we are only going to fix the ones that complain and avoid an official recall unless forced to by a government agency. I was given the same story in 2012 when I first went in for the chirping. I would bet if some of us have this then the majority have it.

Sent from my Q10
Accurate Race Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Accurate Race Shop For This Useful Post:
sweetfrs (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 07:03 PM   #18
Norton 850

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accurate Race Shop View Post
It sounds like a nice way of saying we are only going to fix the ones that complain and avoid an official recall unless forced to by a government agency. I was given the same story in 2012 when I first went in for the chirping. I would bet if some of us have this then the majority have it.

Sent from my Q10
You nailed it. The AISIN manual transmission is definitely a chronic problem for us BRZ and FRS owners and Subaru or Toyota will only fix it if we complain enough. I doubt the government will get involved because it's not a safety problem. The best we can hope for is perhaps a class action lawsuit.

This crap transmission really puts a black mark on an otherwise pretty decent and fun to drive car. It's a shame that we have to whine and beg to get a faulty transmission fixed. I blame AISIN for the most part, not Subaru. So maybe we should direct our complaints to AISIN?
Norton 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Norton 850 For This Useful Post:
Accurate Race Shop (08-06-2014), sweetfrs (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #19
sweetfrs

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
so i went and the guy went for ride with me down here in the nw. i went to toyota of kirkland, and the guy that went with me told me about how he has a 240 and blah blah and he asked what mods i got, and i started of with suspensions and exhaust and tried to not mention about the transmission stuff. and then he asked what about your transmission, i was like nah i don't have anything, so we went back to the dealer and he told me that i could come back and get the transmission fluid replaced and we could go from there. so my appointment is on friday.
sweetfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #20
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfrs View Post
so i went and the guy went for ride with me down here in the nw. i went to toyota of kirkland, and the guy that went with me told me about how he has a 240 and blah blah and he asked what mods i got, and i started of with suspensions and exhaust and tried to not mention about the transmission stuff. and then he asked what about your transmission, i was like nah i don't have anything, so we went back to the dealer and he told me that i could come back and get the transmission fluid replaced and we could go from there. so my appointment is on friday.
I am a real estate appraiser aside from my weekend job helping people with their muscle cars. As an appraiser I am lied to every day.. I swear every house has imported cabinets from France. If you go back and he sees the mods like the bushings I would be ready cough up $4k for a new transmission after they deny your claim. Not trying to be mean but when someone comes to your work and tries to play you for a fool you normally do not respond well. If I were you I would have the trans stock before you go back in and let them get it on a lift.

Sent from my Q10
Old 08-06-2014, 09:51 PM   #21
stugray
Banned

Drives: 2013 GBS BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,445 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quote:
but when someone comes to your work and tries to play you for a fool you normally do not respond well. If I were you I would have the trans stock before you go back in and let them get it on a lift.
We tried. He didnt listen.....
stugray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stugray For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:01 PM   #22
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
IF YOU HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS GO TO THE FREAK'N DEALER AND TELL THEM! WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO BRING THIS UP SO IT CAN BECOME A RECALL AND NOT A WARRANTY FIGHT. my car does this as well, its bad syncros and my dealer tells me im the first one in the area to mention it.(possibly a lie) Everyone that has a syncro problem needs to file a claim with Toyota so this can get fixed. this has nothing to do with mods or power, its a faulty syncro and if everyone that's moded the car is afraid to tell their dealer this wont get resolved.
sweetfrs (08-07-2014), zdr93523 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:08 PM   #23
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
IF YOU HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS GO TO THE FREAK'N DEALER AND TELL THEM! WE NEED MORE PEOPLE TO BRING THIS UP SO IT CAN BECOME A RECALL AND NOT A WARRANTY FIGHT. my car does this as well, its bad syncros and my dealer tells me im the first one in the area to mention it.(possibly a lie) Everyone that has a syncro problem needs to file a claim with Toyota so this can get fixed. this has nothing to do with mods or power, its a faulty syncro and if everyone that's moded the car is afraid to tell their dealer this wont get resolved.
...and Subaru
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
zdr93523 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zdr93523 For This Useful Post:
sweetfrs (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #24
zdr93523

Garage
My transmission was replaced under warranty by Subaru and refilled with Motul 300 (I provided) by Subaru with approval of Subaru engineers.

A brief drive with the service manager to demonstrate the problem was all that was needed. A few min later, after he called SOA, the new trans was on order.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
The Following User Says Thank You to zdr93523 For This Useful Post:
Reaper (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:40 PM   #25
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
I know of 2 people in michigan that have gotten replacements. Problems like these are the risk you take when you mod a new car. In the past the after market for a car (aside from intake, exhaust, and suspension) came out years after the release. People that go forced induction are probably in for an argument as they will say the transmission was never rated for the power and torque they are putting in. If you just have the simple mods intake, exhaust, and suspension you should have no problem at the dealership.

Sent from my Q10
Old 08-06-2014, 10:45 PM   #26
Reaper
in orbe terrum non visi

Drives: violent
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
I know of 2 people in michigan that have gotten replacements. Problems like these are the risk you take when you mod a new car. In the past the after market for a car (aside from intake, exhaust, and suspension) came out years after the release. People that go forced induction are probably in for an argument as they will say the transmission was never rated for the power and torque they are putting in. If you just have the simple mods intake, exhaust, and suspension you should have no problem at the dealership.

Sent from my Q10

Magnusson act states that if they cant prove your modification caused the problem they can not deny you warranty service because of it. HP and TQ does not break syncros. Therefore, it doesn't matter if I put 1000whp to this transmission if im complaining about a syncro issue. now if I sheared the teeth of a cog that would be my own fault.
Dephective (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #27
zdr93523

Garage
Quote:

Sent from my Q10
If it came down to it, (depending on the actual HP/Tq level) I don't believe that the power argument would hold up in court for multiple reasons. The Lexus from which these transmissions are sourced have more power than the CARB FI kits for our cars. More importantly, OEM clutches are designed to fail before the transmission. So, if the power exceeded the transmission rating, the clutch would've been toast before the damage occurred, unless we're talking about abuse by improper transmission operation by the driver.

With this in mind, if the transmission is being operated correctly, and the clutch is in good condition, then the power capacity of the transmission has not been exceeded and the transmission is probably faulty. Again, these transmissions are filled with GL-3. Lexus has a TSB with a Warning that says that use of fluid less than GL-5 WILL cause transmission damage. This should be a recall to refill all with Subaru Extra-S (GL-5). The fluid will not fix damage, but will probably prevent it.
www.makesmodels.com
www.camautomag.com
Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 PM   #28
Accurate Race Shop

Garage
Quote:
Magnusson act states that if they cant prove your modification caused the problem they can not deny you warranty service because of it. HP and TQ does not break syncros. Therefore, it doesn't matter if I put 1000whp to this transmission if im complaining about a syncro issue. now if I sheared the teeth of a cog that would be my own fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdr93523 View Post
If it came down to it, (depending on the actual HP/Tq level) I don't believe that the power argument would hold up in court for multiple reasons. The Lexus from which these transmissions are sourced have more power than the CARB FI kits for our cars. More importantly, OEM clutches are designed to fail before the transmission. So, if the power exceeded the transmission rating, the clutch would've been toast before the damage occurred, unless we're talking about abuse by improper transmission operation by the driver.

With this in mind, if the transmission is being operated correctly, and the clutch is in good condition, then the power capacity of the transmission has not been exceeded and the transmission is probably faulty. Again, these transmissions are filled with GL-3. Lexus has a TSB with a Warning that says that use of fluid less than GL-5 WILL cause transmission damage. This should be a recall to refill all with Subaru Extra-S (GL-5). The fluid will not fix damage, but will probably prevent it.
Trust me we are on the same page I do not believe that it has anything to do with it. The problem is when the dealership tells you to kick rocks you have now have to go get legal representation. Your lawyer is probably gonna charge you a few hundred buck all they way up to a grand. You are going to have to find an certified mechanic with a degree to put in writing that power has nothing to do with it. Once all this is done your lawyer will present this to the corporate office. At this point it is pretty much a guarantee they will fix the car. If they still tell you to kick rocks you have to file a lawsuit and then try to get them to settle before you have to pay a lawyer for a visit to a court room. You are looking at a long drawn out pain in the ass. Most people will just get mad and go away to buy a new transmission out of their pocket. Should it be like this HELL NO!!! but unfortunately it is, and while your spending money and time all they have to do is keep saying no hoping you go away. The burden of proof should fall on them to prove is effects it not on you to prove is doesn't. They simply open the maintenance manual and say look this is what the trans was tested too for this car and you exceeded it now go prove it doesn't matter.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Accurate Race Shop For This Useful Post:
Rampage (08-10-2014), zdr93523 (08-06-2014)