follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #29
sidebrake

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sorry to bring this thread back but after owning my car for about 1200 miles now, I feel like the first 1-3% of the gas pedal travel doesn't have enough response to my liking. It is making my starts from a dead stop not as smooth as I like especially If I'm trying to take off quickly. I'm either giving it too much or not enough throttle and I can't seem to find that middle point consistently. Bear in mind that I been driving MT for 10+ years but this is my first car with electronic throttle. My question is this going to be something I need to get used to or can this Apexi unit add some throttle response to that first 1-3% travel of the pedal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-P View Post
I had a chance to test the APEX-i Smart Throttle Controller this week, and it's been 4 days since I got it strapped to my car. It's a very easily concealable unit, consisting of a brain CPU box that is about as big as a cigarette pack, and with long enough leads to hide it anywhere. The FRS has a lower trim panel under each side of the center console area which can just pop off, and quite a bit of space is inside where things can just mount without issues. So the box went in easily in there, and harness couplers just go between the throttle socket and main E/BCU harness.
10 min install for most folks who can figure out how to put a socket in and out of plugs.

The main reason for Apex-i USA and I was to make sure the unit works as designed and since it is a universal Denso style unit not specifically made for this FRS, that we wanted to see what effects this will have on the car.
Everyone knows that playing with throttles won't add any power to the car, but it is there to tune the throttle pedal in relation to the actual actuator motions at the engine to fine-tune and tailor things to the driver's tastes, which this unit is designed to do.

The Apex-i TCC has sort of a unexpected benefit, now that I spent a few days with it.

The original FRS throttle, as designed by Subaru and Toyota engineers on this car, reacts really precisely and rapidly, unlike most of the previous lazy Denso throttle on other cars, where it isn't any slower or nudgy.
It actually behaves REALLY good out of the box, and there isn't a single complaint for the FRS throttle.

There, as almost predicted, the response turned "up" on the controller didn't help much in the FRS, as it made it overly sensitive, and sort of became rather jumpy. Perhaps this would however be useful if you are sort of into revving at the light in neutral, or performing quick starts if you can modulate the clutch pedal in lightning quick ways of a pro-NHRA guy.

In track use, the normal FRS throttle would give the best balance of response, and predictably as Mr.Tada and his team designed so feverishly to stay in focus of the character and use of the FRS. At least to me, it was wonderful in stock form whether AT or MT.

However, in the three degrees of ECO modes of the Apex-i unit, the throttle becomes slightly lazier in actuation curve without losing the response, and it helps when you might want to lend the car to someone who just wants to get from A to B, without having the drama and Initial D experience. It makes maneuvers in parking lots easier and possibly extends freeway miles by regulating smaller inputs, especially in AT equipped FRS, to a milder state where AT doesn't kick down in confusion at the slight input, or rough driver inputs by someone not familiar with how responsive the FRS reacts. The ECO-1 mode actually made the throttle feel almost like a traditional cable direct actuation, toning down the really enthusiastic response to something like as if it was a inline four with side-draft carburetors, LOL! Classy!

The FRS throttle is very much dedicated to skilled and enthusiastic sports driving, and there was no compromise to accommodate the "committee." Therefore, it's far responsive than most other cars in production. AS such, this device can make it feel more mundane for those that prefer it for daily uses.

Considering it adds virtually no weight to the car, and reasonable pricing, it might be one of the items on your shopping list that you can play with, and have pretty noticeable difference in how the car responds. I think I'd much rather put couple hundred bucks in this device, knowing in the future there may be some mods to the car, than to invest in some random magic octane boost or swirl generator in the air box...LOL! None of the latter would have any effect really, on a modern GDI engine like the FA20... but playing with the parameters of input signals will have some fun results in engines like this, where everything is monitored and dependent on electronic signals from the ****pit.

I would know that I can fine tune the gas pedal in as easily steps as a click of a couple of buttons in the 4 settings. ON/OFF and in steps of ECO, 1~3, and Low, Boost, and High Boost mode. And regardless of whatever reasons you may have or wish to make it behave one way or another, this is one of those devices that will add to the fun of "tailoring your car, your own"

Again, it is one of those things, where if all your brain can digest is specs on paper, and numbers coming from sheets, in the published stats-Olympics, no, this won't do anything to change your ego.
But if you are a discerning driver with human sense, and can interact with a car in a more intuitive way, then it sure adds some element of fun.

I say thumbs up. As this is something that does enhance the FRS experience, a car born of intrinsic fun and tactile interactions of the driver.

Please excuse the less than ideal photo...and semi-temporary mounting...
I didn't want to start hacking the dash for this little switch just yet as there may be other things later that I need to plan.

Apex-i SMART Throttle Controller by Moto@Club4AG, on Flickr
sidebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:41 PM   #30
Liliflower

Drives: 2008 FT86 GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
how many $ =178,500 yen
Liliflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #31
willypongtb
P MAI86

Drives: subaru brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i just install Apex-i Smart Accel Controller on my brz auto trans. i like it. give you more response if you turn on sport mode will be more fun. thanks to Randy @Evasive Motorsports he hook me up with good price.
willypongtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #32
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I know it's going to seem like a dumb question and I'm sorry, but I'm just new to this throttle by wire stuff. I don't at all like the idea, but that's what the car came with so it's the cost of doing business.

So far the car seems pretty responsive to my inputs, well, when the traction control is turned off. I haven't done extensive testing, just everyday driving with the occasional spirited jaunt. I really need to find a nice open area on a rainy day and spin it around for a while and see if it freaks out. I'm not doing that around other drivers.

I don't want ANY "tuning" to the throttle. When I stomp it, I want it to stomp. When I hold it at 50% I want it 50%, etc. I don't want the computer "interpreting" anything; just do what I told you to do. If I screw up, don't try to correct me; let me "tune" myself.

Do I need something like this to achieve that or does killing the traction control make the throttle behave like a simple cable throttle?
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:52 AM   #33
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@themadscientist the DBW does not interpret anything, it's just a set of lookup tables. Nothing is changed by the VSC & TCS settings bar it's interference when it deems necessary.

You may think that DBW is worse than cable, although I'm not sure why, but it has many great advantages. The stock pedal output does not relate to a linear throttle angle response, but then you don't really want it to.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #34
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
My main rub with throttle by wire is I don't like only electronics between me and the throttle. As we saw a few years ago with some Toyotas taking off by themselves, having no physical control over the throttle can be dangerous.

I have driven cars my whole life with simple throttles that do exactly what my foot tells them to do without a problem. Simplicity is always my preference. It's needless complication to me, but I can accept it if it stays out of my way.

So far I don't feel like it's screwing with what I want to do so I'm ok. When the traction control kicks in it feels more like the brakes are grabbing rather than the throttle playing games. With TC turned off it feels almost normal which is great.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote