follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-14-2016, 06:35 PM   #141
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Does your window index 10mm, or 20mm? There's a TSB to replace both door switches of the earlier serials when it was discovered 20mm was excessive.
It also replaces the guides which seems to help the squeal a lot.
Ultramaroon (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #142
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It also replaces the guides which seems to help the squeal a lot.
Are these guides the same as "stabilizer bars"?

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:06 PM   #143
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Are these guides the same as "stabilizer bars"?
Yes in the weather strip TSB.
The window freezing TSB replaces the actual lifters.
I had both done at the same time and they were pretty sure it was the stabilizers (guides) causing the squeal.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #144
jegglz

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes in the weather strip TSB.
The window freezing TSB replaces the actual lifters.
I had both done at the same time and they were pretty sure it was the stabilizers (guides) causing the squeal.
Damn....i suppose a visit to a dealer is in order, i recently had my drivers window seal replaced on my 2013, It was folding on itself and allowing water in. Ever since i had this car from around 1800 miles the windows squeaked from the auto roll up and down,kinda just ignored it for awhile, now they both make a terrible noise going up and down. Windows also get frozen stuck very easy.
jegglz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #145
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegglz View Post
Damn....i suppose a visit to a dealer is in order, i recently had my drivers window seal replaced on my 2013, It was folding on itself and allowing water in. Ever since i had this car from around 1800 miles the windows squeaked from the auto roll up and down,kinda just ignored it for awhile, now they both make a terrible noise going up and down. Windows also get frozen stuck very easy.
Mine have never frozen since I had it done. Well they have frozen but with exterior ice that would have had the same effect on any window.
Old 02-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #146
jegglz

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Well they have frozen but with exterior ice that would have had the same effect on any window.
Ah ok seems to be a different issue then i was imagining with mine, The way i took the window freeze comment was from ice. Will post about what the dealer decides to do with mine to fix the squeal.
jegglz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #147
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegglz View Post
Ah ok seems to be a different issue then i was imagining with mine, The way i took the window freeze comment was from ice. Will post about what the dealer decides to do with mine to fix the squeal.
It is ice for the TSB but it is ice from water that gets right down into the door. Surface ice can not be avoided and there isn't a power window made that can deal with it if it is to thick.
jegglz (02-18-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #148
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I got my car back, no more squeaking noise.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-18-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 06:54 AM   #149
73TORANA!

Drives: Orange GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
2 years ago mine started and got real bad. A Ford dealer friend said to spray a teflon dry lube into the window channels and bingo after a few ups and downs, perfect.
I used Sellys dry lube for out door blind zippers. Dupont also have one for you guys in USA but any teflon dry lube spray from a hardware store should do. Mine has had a lot of rain over the 2 years but still perfect. July 13 car. Cheers
73TORANA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:32 PM   #150
mausr

Drives: GT86
Mine windows have also started to squeak after the car parked 10 hours in rain, so I did what the relevant TSB requested:
  • replaced the weather seals (the ones at the bottom of the windows)
  • replaced the guides
  • aligned the window

The result? On the very first rainy day, they squeaks like before. Here are the "fun" facts:
  • I received the 6th(!) iteration of the seal
  • even if the new seal looks completely different that the original one, the main issue still not resolved: the felt is simply not pushed enough to the window to do its job
  • replacing the guides is not necessary, they can be cleaned and reused (if not damaged, e.g. due to icing)
  • window alignment is not necessary as the seals/outer guides cannot be adjusted. The only thing can be adjusted is the inner guide, however, its position can be marked.
  • the window does not need to be removed, contrary to the TSB, the outer guides can be replaced by lowering the window and removing the inner guide first

So I got tired and waxed the guides directly....
mausr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #151
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mausr View Post
Mine windows have also started to squeak after the car parked 10 hours in rain, so I did what the relevant TSB requested:
  • replaced the weather seals (the ones at the bottom of the windows)
  • replaced the guides
  • aligned the window

The result? On the very first rainy day, they squeaks like before. Here are the "fun" facts:
  • I received the 6th(!) iteration of the seal
  • even if the new seal looks completely different that the original one, the main issue still not resolved: the felt is simply not pushed enough to the window to do its job
  • replacing the guides is not necessary, they can be cleaned and reused (if not damaged, e.g. due to icing)
  • window alignment is not necessary as the seals/outer guides cannot be adjusted. The only thing can be adjusted is the inner guide, however, its position can be marked.
  • the window does not need to be removed, contrary to the TSB, the outer guides can be replaced by lowering the window and removing the inner guide first

So I got tired and waxed the guides directly....
Good info. Mine are squeaking but also scratching the glass on the outside really bad. I haven't taken mine apart yet but what do you think is contacting the glass that causes it to scratch? What do you think needs replacing to keep it from scratching more? Is the seal what is scratching the glass?

One of these days I need to pull the door apart to see how it all fits together.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #152
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Good info. Mine are squeaking but also scratching the glass on the outside really bad. I haven't taken mine apart yet but what do you think is contacting the glass that causes it to scratch? What do you think needs replacing to keep it from scratching more? Is the seal what is scratching the glass?

One of these days I need to pull the door apart to see how it all fits together.
It is the stabilizers. Updated part numbers and instructions in the attached TSB

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1409711423

Worked for me so not sure what went wrong for Mau.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #153
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
It is the stabilizers. Updated part numbers and instructions in the attached TSB

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1409711423

I looked at that TSB and I see the new weather strip part number but it looks like the stabilizer number hasn’t changed. If I understand correctly the weather strip was letting too much water pass which would damage the stabilizers. In what way does it damage them? Rust?

I wish there was a cheaper way to get rid of my scratches too.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #154
mausr

Drives: GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I looked at that TSB and I see the new weather strip part number but it looks like the stabilizer number hasn’t changed. If I understand correctly the weather strip was letting too much water pass which would damage the stabilizers. In what way does it damage them? Rust?

I wish there was a cheaper way to get rid of my scratches too.
The stabilizers are just small plastic parts, with fur on on side and a tiny metal backplate on the other. The fur touches the window and it clogged with dust/mud with time due to the insufficient sealing of the scraper seal. This will cause squeak/minor scratches. In extreme cases the fur can be iced to the window and thus the metal part will be exposed making serious damage. They are cheap, however, if they are not damaged yet, they can be washed and waxed and no more squeak can be heard.

Quote:

To be honest, I have no idea, even the new seals are barely touch the window compared to the seals of the others cars we have. Even if the seal is fully pushed to the window, it allows water to pass trough. Would it be possible to take a picture on how the scraper seal touches the window when the door is closed (especially at the end of the windows)? It may provide a solution for me.

Last edited by mausr; 12-06-2017 at 02:39 PM.
mausr is offline   Reply With Quote