follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #15
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
not really, figure replacing the clutch within 50-100k miles. given that this is a RWD you should be able to replace it with a stocker or mild aftermarket clutch including labor for about 1K so it's not exactly an expensive part to go out either. (assume 3-4 hour shop time and 5-600 in parts/fluids). learning isnt hard either, just dont try to do it on a busy road. go out for a ride in the country, its really not difficult once you get the feel for the engagement point of the clutch (where it starts to grip). best way to practice that is to move the car around a shopping lot without using the gas.
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #16
Lo

Drives: Old Saturn
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
... learning isnt hard either, just dont try to do it on a busy road. go out for a ride in the country, its really not difficult once you get the feel for the engagement point of the clutch (where it starts to grip). best way to practice that is to move the car around a shopping lot without using the gas.
1) ENGAGEMENT POINT! thanks!
2) Without the gas: I second that! Best way to learn to know your clutch. Ideally, find an empty lot with a slight incline (when you're ready) so that you can learn to start off an incline and to get used to the feeling of having your car back up while on an incline (girls I try to teach freak out at that point and floor it. Not saying you're a girl or wtv if you freak out.). Learn to use your handbrake in those situations to free your foot from the brake pedal.
Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #17
Pakjk89

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
not really, figure replacing the clutch within 50-100k miles. given that this is a RWD you should be able to replace it with a stocker or mild aftermarket clutch including labor for about 1K so it's not exactly an expensive part to go out either. (assume 3-4 hour shop time and 5-600 in parts/fluids). learning isnt hard either, just dont try to do it on a busy road. go out for a ride in the country, its really not difficult once you get the feel for the engagement point of the clutch (where it starts to grip). best way to practice that is to move the car around a shopping lot without using the gas.
What does move the car without using the gas? Wouldn't the car not move then? I'm a bit confused. I'm a complete manual noob.
Pakjk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
Lo

Drives: Old Saturn
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakjk89 View Post
What does move the car without using the gas? Wouldn't the car not move then? I'm a bit confused. I'm a complete manual noob.
At the engagement point, the car starts to move. Not fast, something like 5 km/h (3 mph) maybe? That's basically ur cue to input some gas, but it must be done gradually.
Lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #19
powertrip

Drives: Mercedes C320, S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakjk89 View Post
As you release the clutch at a certain point the driveline begins to connect to the engine. its at the point the power starts getting transferred which is the "engagement point". Basically once you're decent with it you can get a car rolling (slowly, think idle speeds) using no gas. once you get this down driving a manual is easy as getting the car moving is the hardest part. its easy to shift once moving, all you do is push in pedal then pull out of gear and put in new gear. the part a lot of people have problems with is stalling out while trying to get the car moving.
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
DantKR

Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Basically what the others are saying is the best thing to do the first time you start driving a NEW(you haven't driven that particular model)manual car is to not use the gas at all and find the engagement point of the car with nothing but the clutch. Once you get that down and are able to get the car rolling every time without gas you'll be good to go.
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
blackmist27

Drives: Subaru BRZ
this thread is premature to say the least.... ugh...
blackmist27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #22
no_name

Drives: 2005 Hyundai Accent
My AE86 was the first manual car I owned. I even had a friend drive it home for me because I didn't know how to drive it yet. It took me a few months to get really confident on hill starts and not doing accidental burnouts at stop lights, but a manual car is far more rewarding to drive than an automatic. Good luck.

GT86: "This car has two steering wheels: one is circular, the other is operated with the right foot."
no_name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Don't forget that driving schools offer Manual driving course, they even teach you in a performence car. Here in my area you can pay about 120$ to 200$ depending on how many hours and they teach you in a mustang or Corvette. It's not so bad because you can haggle the rate and the instructors are professional former race drivers it seem worth it. Check around in your are for performance driving schools.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:07 PM   #24
Pakjk89

Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Don't forget that driving schools offer Manual driving course, they even teach you in a performence car. Here in my area you can pay about 120$ to 200$ depending on how many hours and they teach you in a mustang or Corvette. It's not so bad because you can haggle the rate and the instructors are professional former race drivers it seem worth it. Check around in your are for performance driving schools.
Mind giving me some names of places in MD? If I find a good and cheap school, I wouldn't mind driving that way from VA to get some good teaching.
Pakjk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #25
Kunzite

Drives: Toyota Auris
Well, there are only 3 major parts which can be destroyed if you insist:
1. The clutch. Eventually, you will have to replace it anyway (much cheaper than replacing an automatic gearbox).
Just remember, don't keep the clutch partially depressed - as this means wear. Don't keep the clutch fully depressed, either. Never drive with the foot on the clutch pedal. Practice handbrake starts when uphill. And that burning smell means you're doing it wrong
2. The gearbox. Always fully depress the clutch when changing gears. Never force the lever into a gear, especially if you hear grinding noises.
Come to a complete stop and wait just a little before engaging reverse.
3. The engine itself. Be careful not to downshift from 5th to the 1st

Not using the gas pedal (on plane surfaces, and not in traffic) is indeed an excellent method of learning about the "engagement point" (but not a driving technique!). Release the clutch very slowly, and don't forget you can actually press the clutch pedal back if the engine wants to stall.
One should be able to do it even in 3rd gear, with a low power car.
Kunzite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #26
DantKR

Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Can you even get the gear into first gear in most cars now a days? I know in some of my old cars you would have to be decelerating and be below 30 or so for the shifter to even go into first.
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:36 PM   #27
KevinDuMa

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Shit for $120-$200 I'll teach you how to drive standard in less than 30 mins guaranteed.
KevinDuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinDuMa View Post
Shit for $120-$200 I'll teach you how to drive standard in less than 30 mins guaranteed.

I'll do it for $100.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, clutch, manual