follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2015, 02:26 AM   #1
EvoPrecision8

Drives: 2015 BRZ Sport Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Broken Exhaust Stud During FP Install

While trying to install my front pipe today one the nuts seized after getting it part of the way off from the FP to OP stud. In the end I had to break it off. The stud was too damaged to thread another nut on, so the flange is currently held with only one nut, which has obviously resulted in a significant exhaust leak.

Is this just a stud that is treaded into a welded nut on the back? Does anyone know how to go about replacing the stud? Do you think this is something an exhaust shop could easily fix, or would it require a specific stud from Subaru? If so, does anyone know the part number?

Thank you
EvoPrecision8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 02:31 AM   #2
tyrantcf

Drives: '16 WRX, CBR1000RR
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Stud? Or bolt? I'm having trouble figuring out which you're speaking of
Old 03-29-2015, 03:01 AM   #3
EvoPrecision8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrantcf View Post
Stud? Or bolt? I'm having trouble figuring out which you're speaking of
I believe it would be considered a stud? It's possible I'm using the wrong terminology though. Attached to the rear overpipe flange there are two studs(?) that the nuts thread onto in order to clamp the flanges on the OP and FP together.

One of those nuts got seized and I sheared the stud/bolt. So I'm wanting to replace that.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:14 AM   #4
Tmank

Drives: 2014 FRS
That happened to me when installing my front pipe. One of the stud broke. You will have to bring it to an exhaust shop, and they should be able to do it. I did some research, it is almost impossible to do it myself.
Tmank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #5
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Now you have an excuse to buy an overpipe
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:07 AM   #6
king83c10

Drives: 2013 FRS
It can be fixed but you would most likely have to remove the over pipe from the car. It would require either a press or a torch and a hammer to get the stud out. It would be easier to just buy a aftermarket over pipe and replace it. For future reference it is helpful to soak all exhaust bolts in pb blaster or the like before attempting to remove exhaust parts.
2013 Scion FRS::Revworks uel header::Motiv front pipe::Motiv over pipe::Invidia N1::Perrin CAI::Eibach prokit::Enkie Raijin wheels::30% tint::OFT stg2uel::TWM performance M1 Abrams shift knob::Winjet black headlights::8000k OLM HID Kit::Muteki SR48 Lug Nuts
king83c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #7
mig86

Drives: MY15 86 GTS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I had the same thing happen too. Mine was was able to be removed but I had to separate the pipes by cutting the stud with a jack saw. Strange so many people experiencing the same thing wiith the same joint.
mig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:37 AM   #8
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
yeah it's like a bolt welded into Over-Pipe. i would just buy an aftermarket over pipe instead of fixing it. it could be fixable but so much hassle and time wasted
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #9
EvoPrecision8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
Now you have an excuse to buy an overpipe
It's like the world is giving me signs! A few days ago my local shop informed me that they had an extra overpipe in stock that they want to get rid of for cheap, and now this happened.

Sounds like it would be best to just replace the factory one if it has to come out to be fixed anyways.

I did soak them in PB Blaster, and the car only has 1200km on it, so I'm kind annoyed that this happened still.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
OmarYasin

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoPrecision8 View Post
While trying to install my front pipe today one the nuts seized after getting it part of the way off from the FP to OP stud. In the end I had to break it off. The stud was too damaged to thread another nut on, so the flange is currently held with only one nut, which has obviously resulted in a significant exhaust leak.

Is this just a stud that is treaded into a welded nut on the back? Does anyone know how to go about replacing the stud? Do you think this is something an exhaust shop could easily fix, or would it require a specific stud from Subaru? If so, does anyone know the part number?

Thank you
All it is, is a double sided stud. One side has righthand threads the other left side. Yes its a pita to take off. Usually u need to tighten the fp more to try and release the other side from op side. If u can get those studs out just replace them with a single bolt and nut, itll be alot more easy when u need to swap the gasets again
OmarYasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:50 PM   #11
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
Happened to me too, and quite. a lot of people as I found out when searching. Something about those particular bolts. I took the over pipe to a muffler shop and they drilled the bolt out for me in about 5 minutes (I didn't have a suitable vice) so an easy fix unless you want an excuse to buy a new OP.
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:58 PM   #12
EvoPrecision8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy99 View Post
Happened to me too, and quite. a lot of people as I found out when searching. Something about those particular bolts. I took the over pipe to a muffler shop and they drilled the bolt out for me in about 5 minutes (I didn't have a suitable vice) so an easy fix unless you want an excuse to buy a new OP.
It would be very easy if I could pull the overpipe, but I'm not really set up to do that. I'm pretty sure that they can't replace it while still on the car, and if they have to take it out anyways I might as well just replace the OP.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:01 AM   #13
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Those studs are a major PITA. Mine was messed up as well and I had to cut the nut off with a Dremel. Luckily I was replacing the OP anyways. You can remove the stud with a stud remover. You'd have to soak it in some PB Blaster or some other penetrating oil for a while first though. They sell a pack of studs/nuts/bolts in most auto stores that is a direct replacement and most likely better than stock.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:37 AM   #14
jonboy99

Drives: Black Panda BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoPrecision8 View Post
It would be very easy if I could pull the overpipe, but I'm not really set up to do that. I'm pretty sure that they can't replace it while still on the car, and if they have to take it out anyways I might as well just replace the OP.
How do you mean not set up to do it? You don't need to lift the motor, it's just a case of wriggling / rotating the OP to the right angle then it just slips out easily. Might be different if you are right hand drive though IIRC.
jonboy99 is offline   Reply With Quote