follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 12-30-2013, 03:59 AM   #15
trustyler

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
The flashing triangle is only lighting up when you brake AND your reverse foglight is turned on. Otherwise it will not ligth up at all. At least that is what it is intended for - does not mean that ppl are on purpose wiring them "wrong" because they think its cool.
IMO its not cool to run rear foglights for "it looks cool" reasons, or as a 3rd/4th brake light. In my country, if a guy rear ends you and you had improper light wiring, they will claim a big amount of the damage from you, because its part your fault having improper/illegal lighting on your car.

To your question, it can, just have to hook it up to the brake light wire, and maybe (you would have to check) see if there is a relais that checks if the foglight itself is on and disable/bypass this.
Thanks for the clarification. I was just confused because the Tommy Kaira video had the red triangle on at all times along with the flashing of the red while braking.

From where I'm from, reverse fog lights are ok because half of the year we have heavy rains and a lot of PUVs and old cars don't have proper head/fog lights. I wasn't implying that people were wiring them wrong on purpose to look cool. I was just confused why/if the JDM, USDM and EDM seemed to operate differently out of the box. I've been thinking about getting these for about a week now. I just wanted to see where I should order from.
trustyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trustyler For This Useful Post:
Killerbee (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:22 AM   #16
Killerbee

Drives: GR86 / Supra MK5 MT / MR-S / Z4
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustyler View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I was just confused because the Tommy Kaira video had the red triangle on at all times along with the flashing of the red while braking.

From where I'm from, reverse fog lights are ok because half of the year we have heavy rains and a lot of PUVs and old cars don't have proper head/fog lights. I wasn't implying that people were wiring them wrong on purpose to look cool. I was just confused why/if the JDM, USDM and EDM seemed to operate differently out of the box. I've been thinking about getting these for about a week now. I just wanted to see where I should order from.
Just to make sure you did not missunderstand me here, I was not refering that "because it looks cool" to you, that was just to give you an idea why you see ppl running those lights incorrectly wired.

About the "wiring" issue of JDM/USDM/EDM, its not so much the lights, but the car that differs. The Taillights for JDM differ from USDM/EDM, so JDM seems to have turning signal/braking lights turned upside down. USDM/EDM however work as intended out of the box (and also the JDM is just changing out 2 cables to get them wired right)

If it comes to the rear foglight the question is really if your car was equipped from factory with a rear foglight. If yes, the Valentis will work plug n play. If no, then you will have to buy the Rear Foglight kit (there are some sellers for that around here) to get the wiring/switch for the rear foglight, and then you can mount the Valentis Foglight with no issue. Alot of ppl do however just connect the Valentis Foglight to the normal light of their car which results in the wrong wired lights you see around.

As for a good seller to get Valentis from, I can recommend @pansontw as I know at least 5 ppl (including myself) that did order from him, and he always keept us informed and delivered on time as promised.
Killerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Killerbee For This Useful Post:
trustyler (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #17
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
On USDM cars if you have front fogs with a stalk/switch, you can just wire the rear fog to the front fogs. That way you can just shut them off by shutting all fog lights off. That's the way mine is wired.

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:12 AM   #18
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Here are how mine look and work, including valenti bumper light.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=68
Old 12-30-2013, 08:01 AM   #19
trustyler

Drives: Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerbee View Post
Just to make sure you did not missunderstand me here, I was not refering that "because it looks cool" to you, that was just to give you an idea why you see ppl running those lights incorrectly wired.

About the "wiring" issue of JDM/USDM/EDM, its not so much the lights, but the car that differs. The Taillights for JDM differ from USDM/EDM, so JDM seems to have turning signal/braking lights turned upside down. USDM/EDM however work as intended out of the box (and also the JDM is just changing out 2 cables to get them wired right)

If it comes to the rear foglight the question is really if your car was equipped from factory with a rear foglight. If yes, the Valentis will work plug n play. If no, then you will have to buy the Rear Foglight kit (there are some sellers for that around here) to get the wiring/switch for the rear foglight, and then you can mount the Valentis Foglight with no issue. Alot of ppl do however just connect the Valentis Foglight to the normal light of their car which results in the wrong wired lights you see around.

As for a good seller to get Valentis from, I can recommend @pansontw as I know at least 5 ppl (including myself) that did order from him, and he always keept us informed and delivered on time as promised.
Ahhhh...now I see. We dont have the rear fogs activated from the dealership here. And most just connect it to the existing lights as you've mentioned. So the main difference is I need to get the one that offers the switch (which I think some installers do here) so I can turn the reverse fog on/off independently with the rest of the lights. Actually I want it to be a brake only light because I'm pretty satisfied with the look of the v light in itself while complemented by the tail lights same as op.

By the way, sorry to op for kinda jacking your thread. I like your combination and have the same questions. Thinking of getting them myself. Its either I'm going with the smoked set or just go with Toms or continue to live with my peeling tinted tails. Lol!
trustyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trustyler For This Useful Post:
Killerbee (12-30-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 02:49 AM   #20
PSJohnDoe

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Garage
I would think you can open it up and disconnect the wiring to the triangle only, it doesn't satisfy your first preference, but it would satisfy the second. You could probably open it up and either tint the inside of the plastic or black it out with electrical tape.

On the topic of brightness, I bought and installed the smoked version on my FR-S this weekend. I have the stock tail lights and as far as I can tell, in the dark, the brightness for the triangle is as near as makes no difference to my tail lights (without braking). The only thing that leaves for me is the blinking portion which I'm guessing is much less of a deal than people are making it out to be. I am a conservative braker (even in traffic) so I don't think constant blinking is going to be that much of an issue.

What I would love to see is a DIY guide to adding a normally open (I think that's the right way of saying it) accelerometer that closes when sensing greater than 1G acceleration (or in this case, deceleration). In that case we can run that in the brake light wire and we'd get that as a warning for heavy braking situations.
PSJohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #21
charged86

Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
your pictures are farking huge.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:10 PM   #22
Gundark

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I wrote a DIY on the wiring a few months ago. Search for "valenti rear fog alternate wiring" to see if my setup is what you would like. I would link it but I'm on my phone
Gundark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gundark For This Useful Post:
PSJohnDoe (01-01-2014)
Old 01-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #23
djdnz

Drives: 2013 BRZ WRB S/C
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundark View Post
I wrote a DIY on the wiring a few months ago. Search for "valenti rear fog alternate wiring" to see if my setup is what you would like. I would link it but I'm on my phone

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47409

There you go. Looks like this is what the OP is after. Looks much better this way IMO.
djdnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 PM   #24
Gundark

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I agree I think it looks much cleaner this way. Thanks for posting the link!
Gundark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #25
503 BRZ

Drives: '14 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm very close to purchasing Smoked Tails, but I'm worried about the legality in OR. I've seen it both ways. Have you been pulled over?

Formerly "The Natural"
503 BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:34 PM   #26
evan

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
I'm very close to purchasing Smoked Tails, but I'm worried about the legality in OR. I've seen it both ways. Have you been pulled over?
Have smoked Valenti's.. No harassment. Have even been pulled over for other reason and cop let me go. No complaints. OR cops are cool IMO.

Eat your vegetables..
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #27
503 BRZ

Drives: '14 SWP Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan View Post
Have smoked Valenti's.. No harassment. Have even been pulled over for other reason and cop let me go. No complaints. OR cops are cool IMO.

Eat your vegetables..
Thanks Evan!

I am having a serious internal debate about which to get. I have an SWP BRZ. I love the look of smoked when they are on, but the tail lights just look too black when the car is off. Meanwhile, the Clear/Red ones look to white and I think being able to see the LED tube makes them look really cheap.

Should I get the smoked, or do I go clear and get them smoked so they are a little less darker?

Formerly "The Natural"
503 BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 503 BRZ For This Useful Post:
evan (03-03-2014)
Old 03-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #28
evan

Drives: fr-s
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Natural View Post
Thanks Evan!

I am having a serious internal debate about which to get. I have an SWP BRZ. I love the look of smoked when they are on, but the tail lights just look too black when the car is off. Meanwhile, the Clear/Red ones look to white and I think being able to see the LED tube makes them look really cheap.

Should I get the smoked, or do I go clear and get them smoked so they are a little less darker?
Of course it's a matter of personal pref, but I like the smoked look better. Opening up tails to smoke can be risky (no guarantee they won't leak thereafter). I suppose you can spray them externally, but I haven't really been a fan of that. Also, I should mention that the smoked ones don't look too dark when it's sunny outside (not that it really matters much in the NW ).

Eat your vegetables..

Last edited by evan; 03-03-2014 at 01:30 PM.
evan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evan For This Useful Post:
503 BRZ (03-03-2014)