follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
frsinpa

Drives: fr-s!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So my FR-S is officially a lemon...

I've battled with the tail light condensation issue for a while, but it's finally reached the point where it's entered "lemon territory".

I've got the right tail light fixed 2X and now the left one is collecting condensation, so the same issue is rearing it's ugly head yet again.

PA Lemon law states the following:

Quote:
Under the law, the manufacturer must, at no cost to the purchaser, repair or correct any defect which
substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle which occurs within one year after delivery, or 12,000
miles of use, or the term of the manufacturer’s express warranty, whichever comes first.
If the defect cannot be repaired in a reasonable time, you may be eligible for a replacement vehicle or the
refund of the purchase price, less a limited allowance for use.

... more importantly

Pennsylvania Lemon Law 1956 Presumption of a reasonable number of attempts.

It shall be presumed that a reasonable number of attempts have been undertaken to repair or correct a nonconformity if:

1. the same nonconformity has been subject to repair three times by the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealers and the nonconformity still exists; or

2. the vehicle is out-of-service by reason of any nonconformity for a cumulative total of 30 or more calendar days.

http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/PA_law.html
So I'll be taking it to the dealership next week to get it fixed for the same issue for the 3rd time, which means that it qualifies for the Lemon law.

It absolutely stinks... because I love this car, but I really can't deal with having such a defective car for both liability and financial reasons.

E.g. if I get in an accident while my tail light is fogged up with condensation, the other person could put me at fault because my tail lights/turn signal were not visible due to a defect.

Plus, I am a really busy guy and I can't take time out of my schedule every couple weeks to get the tail light replaced.

Not to mention - having a brand new car with a defect that needs continual repair significantly reduces the value. So it's a tough spot to be in, but it looks like I will be exploring the Lemon route.

Overall, it's disappointing that I'll have to go this route... but I hope that Toyota/Subaru can improve their quality control.
frsinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frsinpa For This Useful Post:
Davyator (11-28-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Yruyur

Drives: Scion fr-s asphalt M/T
Thanked 1,631 Times in 941 Posts
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Good luck

Sent from my flux capacitor using Taptalk
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
That sucks. It seems as though the repair is hit or miss. I wonder if thats an issue with the part or the trained monkeys installing them.

PS - No offense to any of the trained monkeys on here

Last edited by civicdrivr; 11-27-2012 at 10:19 PM.
civicdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Tanuki
Turtle Factory

Drives: Mint M3
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My car was built in June and has the condensation issue. I thought they resolved it on cars starting with mid/late May build dates?
Tanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
How bad is it ?

I would just take the tail light out pop some silicon around the seal and call it a day, I don't think its 100% lemon worthy unless you have the Atlantic in your taillight causing shorts and such
cobrabyte (11-29-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Jayde

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Out of curiosity, is the tail light actually filling up with condensation and looks like crap, or just a little build up at the top?
Old 11-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I thought this thread would be about the engine, transmission or electrical system/ecu.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SUB-FT86 For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (01-19-2013), bestwheelbase (11-28-2012), Books (11-29-2012), jimmillion (11-28-2012), LeeMaster (11-28-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
QFry

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Garage
"repair or correct any defect which substantially impairs the use, value or safety of the vehicle which occurs"

so now the question is...is your lawyer going to be able to prove against theirs that the condensation somehow stops the taillights from working, decreases the value of the car to a point where your credit is negatively impacted or creates an environment during normal use which would be unsafe for the driver, passengers or others on the road. Good luck...
2013 Argento FR-S -> Lots of random PlastiDip, UNIChip Custom Tune, aFe Takeda Intake, Nameless Performance front pipe and axle back exhaust, Motegi MR125 7.5x17, Rally Armour mud flaps, Gloss black vinyl roof, ACT street clutch and flywheel,Whiteline bushings; Kartboy Shortshifter and shift bushing
QFry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to QFry For This Useful Post:
20valvewynn83 (11-28-2012), FirestormFRS (11-27-2012), LeeMaster (11-28-2012), Tanuki (12-10-2012)
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life

Drives: 19' & 06' Ridgelines, 13' FR-S
Thanked 5,291 Times in 2,720 Posts
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
I am sorry you are having trouble with your tail lights. That sucks!

Ok, so has anyone on this forum actually "Lemon Lawd" a car?

From my friends experience, he actually had to return his new X5, it was not easy at all. He had to get a lawyer. It was in the shop for six months out of the first nine with electrical issues.

Found this also...
Pennsylvania Lemon Law Basics
The Pennsylvania lemon law covers any consumer who buys, or leases, and registers a new motor vehicle in the state. Under the Pennsylvania Lemon Law your car may be declared a lemon if it meets All of the following conditions:

It has a nonconformity (a defect, or condition) the nonconformity is covered by the manufacturer's express warranty
The nonconformity SUBSTANTIALLY impairs the use, market value, or safety of the car
The nonconformity is not the result of an accident, abuse, neglect, or alteration of the car by persons other than the manufacturer or its authorized dealer
You reported the nonconformity at least once to the manufacturer's authorized dealer during the Pennsylvania Lemon Law Rights Period of 1 year or 12,000 miles whichever comes first.
You gave the manufacturer or its authorized dealer three opportunities to repair the nonconformity.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #10
Demandred7

Drives: 2018 Camry XSE V6
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

How bad are they? Not doubting what you are saying, pics are worth a thousand words. My vote is for the standardized work content not being followed during the repair (eg. Too high of a torque).
Demandred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
HSC

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles but I personally wouldnt go down the lemon law route...its going to be more trouble than its worth for just taillamps.
HSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #12
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Never heard of a car getting lemon law status for tailights, very strange. They will send in an engineer from corporate to do the repair before they let it get that far usually.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #13
DanoFA20
Shift Down

Drives: Toyota 86, Mazda RX7 RaceCar (FC3S)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
i understand your frustration but i find it a bit extreme to lemon law a car cause of a plastic tail light , in reality it makes sense the demand for the car is so grate they need to rush packaging parts and as most people know plastic housed taillights need to cure after creation, it seems toyota/subaru is making the parts and not letting them completely cure and test before putting it together so basically we get mildly warped plastic housings at the seals. id honestly just bring it in get the new taillights and keep living my day. if it comes back do it again till they get a proper seal. if it does drive you nuts, get the new taillights take them out yourself and put some silicone around the seals like stated and end of story.

i just honestly think lemon lawing a car because of a tail lamp assembly is a little extreme to rid yourself of a car you love.

if you were having mechanical problems multiple Xs in a row then id be like sorry to hear hope you get your money back and stuff. but a tail light assembly.. to me is just a little overboard. i too am busy but it is a first year production and there are issues we will inevitably go through this should be understood when purchasing a first year mode. but hey its your call bud sorry to hear you are having that hard a time.

i have a tiny bit of condensation but it went away im going to wash the car tomorrow after work see if it comes back if so ill call my dealer and bring it in when i have a day off done deal. but im a little more patient then most being a mechanic and understanding supply and demand and understanding parts do have factory flaws. but best of luck would like to see you still happy with your 86
DanoFA20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #14
NOHOME

Drives: RAVEN
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I think this is more a cry of frustration than a realistic attempt to lemon law the car.

Sadly, we as a group are pretty much early adopters, and are going to live through all the intro hassles. How the dealers interact with us is going to be the critical factor. If they play games it is going to cost them, if we feel that they are working with us, I know that I can be understanding.

The taillight issue seems to be one of a mounting stud that cracks with little provocation.It is a supplier issue that mayor may not have a solution in place as of yet. At this point, I expect that Scion is just slapping in existent stock taillights and hope for the best. I have the problem in both my taillights, but figure that I will wait till I am in for service. Currently looking for some goldfish stickers to put on for the occasion.
NOHOME is offline   Reply With Quote