follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
after all the plots i have seen, and my own time on the dyno, I think I'm going to talk to nameless and see if they can tune a header to be slightly more biased towards 4,750 and up....

The stock torque dip is partially tuning, but mostly the stock header and both the P&L and the Nameless 1.625 do a fantastic job of turning the dip into a mountain....

But most of the plots i have seen on tuned stock etc or with exhaust.. there is still that week sag area from 4750 to about 6500. My Ideal header would lift the torque curve everywhere, flatten the dip so it is non existant , and make a boat load of power from the far side of what used to be the dip up to 8k or so.

I would prefer
Tell them if they can do what you said here, they'll have atleast two buyers. I have cash in hand waiting for exactly that.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #16
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
The torque dip is tuning and will be removable once they figure out what is causing it to not be there on the first dyno but be there every dyno afterwards.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1215

nameless did not included an intake
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...postcount=1049

P&L are showing exhaust & E85, against pump gas. Nameless used 92 octane for all testing.
Regardless of the details, it's hard to get a solid comparison of the two products. A general fuzzy maybe idea? Sort of. Remember the nameless setup had a dedicated tuner spending lots of time optimizing stuff. The P&L pump gas plot is a canned tune. Which still destroyed the dip.
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to industrial For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-01-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #17
P&L Motorsports

Drives: '13 Turbo BRZ (AT) & '13 FRS
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
The best I could find:

I'm a Nameless fanboi, but let's keep the record straight.
Normally, we do pulls in 4th and if you start that low in the RPM range it really puts a lot on the car, it dogs, and isn't good stress to be inducing.

Here is another with @FA20Club.com E85 Tune on the car. Hope this helps:

Dylan@P&L
P&L Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to P&L Motorsports For This Useful Post:
industrial (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #18
Hawaiian
That guy

Drives: Ultramarine mt FR-S
Thanked 1,389 Times in 730 Posts
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
If you look at the P&L plot, they are starting the pull at 3,250 rpm.. i have to ask why that is.....

If you look at nameless on the 1.625 4-2-1 header results.. the bottom of the dip is at 3,250 rpm...

so, unless P&L wants to post a plot with a run starting lower than 3,000 rpm like nameless did I'm going to assume they have the same torque dip.
Well, as Dylan said. The pulls were in 4th gear, and I didn't really want to lug my engine, but I did make sure to get pulls in at lower rpm for the Catted header that is posted above.

It's a personal car, not a shop car... and since I don't work for them, if anything goes wrong with the engine that's money out of my pocket. I'd personally like my car to last a while since I really enjoy driving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by industrial View Post
Yeah, I agree that it's kinda frustrating trying to compare data when testing is far from standardized. I mean, the P&L guys didn't even try to optimize their tune for their NA parts on pump gas. They were doing a remote tuning session.

You would think that someone that did that much hard r&d on parts would just pay someone who gets results to fully optimize a tune for them and post those results to the board. Not a freaking e85 tune which only 5% of the people will run either. Some vendors don't even bother to post any reasonable dyno results with a tune.

I'm ok with it. I'm just lightening my car and playing with my unichip and dynolycious. I'm sure as these parts (P&L) make it out into the wild we'll see some more usable data.
I did try to get the pump gas tuned from Visconti, but after sending him the logs, it took him 2 weeks to get back to me with an adjustment. His respons was that it all looked good, only the afr needed a tweak.

I also own the @FA20Club.com tune for e85. Tony while on the dyno sent me 7 different tune files, and he even blew me away the other day. After not hearing from me for 2 weeks HE sent ME an e-mail asking how everything was, and if it had any more logs from him. Once again, major for him. His CS is beyond anything i've encountered to date.

I don't know if you've noticed, but there is a shortage of master tuners for this platform, and none are in chicago. The only one willing to travel (visconti) is currently paid for by the big boys and busy with FI work.

Additionally there are more tuning solutions starting to leak out, like your mention Unichip, and brzedit.

From what I hear a few of these will be going out to customers soon, and more data will be coming out.
Jr Tuned 506whp @17psi (e73)
Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #19
EZWood
BAMF

Drives: 13 fr-s, whiteout, MT. 94 ZJ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
It's too early to tell what Is going to respond best to a supercharger. Maybe you all could quit bashing on everyone for taking time to actually develop their product before releasing anything. I also don't see why everyone is bashing Visconti about not releasing info, it's not his place to do so.
EZWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZWood View Post
It's too early to tell what Is going to respond best to a supercharger. Maybe you all could quit bashing on everyone for taking time to actually develop their product before releasing anything. I also don't see why everyone is bashing Visconti about not releasing info, it's not his place to do so.
I don't think that Visconti releasing information was mentioned anywhere in this post thread. He was only brought up because he provided the canned pumpgas tune.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #21
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L Motorsports View Post
Normally, we do pulls in 4th and if you start that low in the RPM range it really puts a lot on the car, it dogs, and isn't good stress to be inducing.

Here is another with @FA20Club.com E85 Tune on the car. Hope this helps:

Dylan@P&L
One interesting thing to note, is that the catted header is more linear and produces more torque in the 3300-3900 range. I wonder if it's due to the creation of a little more backpressure... but, I'm not an engineer, so I have no idea.

I did have Dylan whip up another graph for you guys just for schmidts n giggles, and I do believe in providing as much information and transparency as I can to the group.

I had him combine 3 pulls, The FA20 e85 basemap, a run from mid tune, and our final pull. Tony did feel that there was more to be had from the tune, but also with this engine, there are a lot of things to play with. You can work on it all week and go nowhere, but suddenly with 1 small change you get a big jump, and another weeks worth of tweaking to do. We had about 30 dyno pulls, and 7 tune tweaks done over the timeframe that my schedule allowed.

Do I wish I could leave my car on a dyno for a week, and have a tuner devoted to perfecting my tune and posting a dyno of "the most powerful na, stock engine to date"? My ego says absolutely, but that wasn't the goal. With everyone having different setups, exhausts, intakes, as well as atmosphere, altitude, humidity, and even gas quality the goal was to make a solid basemap, and to show gains over stock. Something that P&L and @FA20Club.com did very well imho.

If you go with P&L, or Nameless I'm sure you will be happy with the added torque where the dip was.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
My problem with the P&L numbers is the E85 being added in and Nameless says "mild tune" on theirs also. I would like to see numbers direct from stock to header and stock to header with full exhaust.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeBoxer For This Useful Post:
Calum (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #23
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
My problem with the P&L numbers is the E85 being added in and Nameless says "mild tune" on theirs also. I would like to see numbers direct from stock to header and stock to header with full exhaust.
From my other thread.

The blue line is the full P&L header back exhaust on 93 and the stock tune, The red line is the same setup with only the Header being changed out, while the green line is just swapping to Visconti's pump gas tune (not optimized for the header).
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #24
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Looks like visconti tune + this header gets rid of the dip. It is a synergistic effect. Interesting
sw20kosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
Hawaiian
That guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
Looks like visconti tune + this header gets rid of the dip. It is a synergistic effect. Interesting
I suspect that this is the case with most of the tunes out there. When I get the header back on I will look to getting it finetuned and on the dyno to what it can do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hawaiian For This Useful Post:
industrial (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #26
industrial
Add lightness!

Drives: 17' WRX
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Get some videos too pretty please! Thanks for being the guinea pig!
industrial is offline   Reply With Quote