follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-02-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Visconti Tuning Stage 1 Tester #3 (I think)

First of all, I would like to thank John for this opportunity to help him out and the community. I was lucky enough to be able to meet up with John today at Nightshift Performance in Edison, NJ where he was working on an FRS. He'll post the info on that when he gets a chance later tonight from his comments in another thread.

After chatting for a little about what he was looking to accomplish and has accomplished so far, we took my FRS out for a spin on the stock tune. We then stopped along side a road where he then flashed my car in a few minutes. It kind of reminded me of downloading a video from a camera...lol After it was done, I started the car up and swung a u-turn to only realize I was pointed in the right direction in the first place....ooops. I honestly had no idea where I was other than in central NJ somewhere.

I didn't really have a good chance with John to have an open road to really play around with the car due to the traffic in the area, but we did our best. At first I wasn't sure if I noticed anything different or not. At a red light, I was able to let a car go ahead for a little and I accelerated at WOT and it chirped 2nd like usual but John noticed that VSC & TRAC started to engage so he turned it off. I don't recall it interfering before on the stock flash when it chirped 2nd. I wasn't 100% sure that I noticed a difference or not because traffic was a little heavy and I had no idea where I was going so I was trying to pay attention to other cars, where I was at and trying to listen, feel, etc to how the car responded. Needless to say, I couldn't focus too much on one aspect or I would miss a turn or rear end somebody or not notice the difference in performance.

We stopped back at the shop and I dropped John off and then I headed home. Well, back to work actually. I must thank my managers who let me step out of work for almost 5 hours today to take advantage of this opportunity.

The ride home is where I really had the chance to pay attention to the car and how it responded. The traffic wasn't too bad once I got on 287 and 78 and plus I didn't have to pay attention to missing a turn etc. It was about 100 miles drive from my work to Edison, NJ with about 85-90 of it being highway.

I had the opportunity bang through the gears under WOT and there is DEFINITELY a difference. It seems to pull a little harder and the torque dip is not as noticeable. It's still there, but it is much better. I also noticed that when cruising around 65-70mph in 6th gear, it will accelerate easier to pass someone. I also noticed on NJ 27 (I think that was the route number), when cruising in 3rd or 4th gear, it was much more responsive below 4k RPMS.

I had the A/C on the whole way home too and still noticed these differences. I am going to see how it is on the way into work tomorrow without the A/C on and see if it's even better. The only performance mod that I have on my car right now is the Perrin Lightweight crank pulley. IIRC, I should be between 1/4 & 1/2 tank of gas left and will refill with the same Shell V-power 93 octane that I have been for the last three tanks and I will keep logging mileage.

I will update this thread with the mileage that I get with my car and any other pertinent data. John told me to keep driving it the way I have been and I will continue to do so. I am thinking about buying the DashCommand App for my iPad and use it the entire time but I need to do some research on which hardware is going to be best to connect it.

Ruskymx

Last edited by ruskymx; 08-03-2012 at 10:27 AM.
ruskymx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruskymx For This Useful Post:
brichard0625 (08-02-2012), MarkRacerX (08-14-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
central jersey isn't too far away from me!.... too bad I'm now working out of state :/

Definitely gonna keep watching these tune threads
Propaganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #3
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Howd we do today?
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #4
ruskymx

I am just about through the tank of gas that I started with yesterday and I should be filling up tomorrow after work. I drove from home to work twice today and then to the Reading area (15 miles or so) and back to the dealership where we had our fantasy football draft after business hours. The conference room worked great! Overall about 60-70 miles today on the car and one thing that I did notice, is NO MORE IDLE DIP! I will monitor it tomorrow morning on the way into work as well.

The other thing I noticed is that it seems to be getting better as far as power goes. Is it possible the car is learning your adjustments and running better or is it just in my head? I guess the only way to really know would be to dyno it right after the flash and then put some miles on it and re-dyno, but it's too late for that.

I will take a video tomorrow morning on the way in to see if I can catch the idle dip (or lack thereof). It would happen every time at the same spot. The part of the road is about 8-9 miles in length of driving about 65mph and then slowing to a red light where I turn into the industrial park where my dealership is at. The only time it wouldn't happen is if I got the green light and didn't have to stop.

I will also post my mileage on this most recent tank which had 117 miles on it pre-tune and it currently around 300 or so on the trip meter now and still around 1/4 tank. FWIW, the trip computer is still showing 32.3 mpg, but we'll see what the math says when I fill up. This would be a big improvement over my last tank which was 25.9 mpg, but will have around 100 more highway miles than usual. The next tank will tell a better story since it will be a full tank of my normal driving habits & routes.

Ruskymx
The Following User Says Thank You to ruskymx For This Useful Post:
brichard0625 (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
ruskymx

Here is the video of my way into work. I just captured the last mile or so where the idle dip occurred on a regular basis. The video on top is the old video that show the issue and the bottom video is from today and shows NO IDLE DIP.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eda6OB66LkI"]2013 Scion FR-S Idle Issue - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01-7UKgSHR8"]2013 Scion FRS Idle Video After Visconti Tune - YouTube[/ame]

Ruskymx
brichard0625 (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
ruskymx

My gas light illuminated on the way home from work today so I'll be filling up tomorrow. I also ordered a GoPoint BT1 Bluetooth OBD II adapter so I can use it with the Dash Command app on my iPad. I'll be able to collect a lot more information this way and provide John more details of my driving habits, climate, etc. For anyone that is interested, GoPoint is having a sale on their adapters now. $59.99 for the cable and $69.99 for the Bluetooth version.

http://gopointtech.com/buy-now/

I know there may have been cheaper options, but I would rather pay more for something that I know will work instead of getting a $14 eBay one and have it work for a week and fail. Plus it seems that the support from Palmer in their forums seem to be pretty good if I do run into any issues.

I'm guessing that it's only going to show lambda and not an exact AFR since I don't have a wideband, but that should just take some math to figure out the AFR. Lambda = AFR / AFR (stoich) right?

Ruskymx
MarkRacerX (08-14-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Visconti
Banned

Drives: 05 STi
Thanked 3,188 Times in 1,197 Posts
Mentioned: 375 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Visconti
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskymx View Post
My gas light illuminated on the way home from work today so I'll be filling up tomorrow. I also ordered a GoPoint BT1 Bluetooth OBD II adapter so I can use it with the Dash Command app on my iPad. I'll be able to collect a lot more information this way and provide John more details of my driving habits, climate, etc. For anyone that is interested, GoPoint is having a sale on their adapters now. $59.99 for the cable and $69.99 for the Bluetooth version.

http://gopointtech.com/buy-now/

I know there may have been cheaper options, but I would rather pay more for something that I know will work instead of getting a $14 eBay one and have it work for a week and fail. Plus it seems that the support from Palmer in their forums seem to be pretty good if I do run into any issues.

I'm guessing that it's only going to show lambda and not an exact AFR since I don't have a wideband, but that should just take some math to figure out the AFR. Lambda = AFR / AFR (stoich) right?

Ruskymx
I just ordered one yesterday as well.

I have big plans.
Visconti is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Visconti For This Useful Post:
ruskymx (08-04-2012), Symbiont (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Ruskymx
arghx7 said the stock car has a Denso wideband O2 sensor :o
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #9
ruskymx

I just got back from the gas station and filled up with Shell V-power 93 octane like I have since I started my Fuelly account. The trip odometer had exactly 342.0 miles on it and I reset it at my last fill up. It took 11.110 gallons at $3.839 so this equals 30.78 MPG (FWIW, computer showed 30.5mpg). I had about 117 miles on this tank before the tune which included driving from Hamburg, PA to Edison, NJ for the tune. According to Google Maps, it was a distance of 100 miles even. I probably averaged 70-75mph while on I-78 & I-287, which was about 90 miles of the drive.

Here's a pic of the trip odometer & my receipt.

This next tank will be a good indication of what the tune has done for fuel economy because it will be the first full tank with my normal driving habits. The last tank increased my avg in Fuelly from 26.3 to 27.4. I should receive my GoPoint BT1 this week and when I do I'll hook up my iPad and use the Dash Command App to log some data.

Ruskymx

Last edited by ruskymx; 08-05-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added computer mpg avg
Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Damn the cheapest shell near me was $4.11 i wish i cud pay 3.839...did u fill-up when u were completely on E? and im really looking foward to seeing your results
Old 08-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
ruskymx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard0625 View Post
Damn the cheapest shell near me was $4.11 i wish i cud pay 3.839...did u fill-up when u were completely on E? and im really looking foward to seeing your results
Not completely on E, but had about 20 miles with the light on. The Shell next to my dealership where I work is $4.089 but it's right by Cabela's and off of I-78 and the only 24 hour gas station within 10-15 miles either direction on I-78 so they like to gouge a little.

I've been watching your thread as well. After seeing you using the Torque App, I decided to get the Dash Command since I have an iPhone/iPad and not a Droid. I have a feeling that my Avg RPM will be higher than yours, but we'll wait and see when I get everything setup.

Ruskymx
Old 08-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
brichard0625

Drives: 2013 Scion Frs(Scarlet)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Not completely on E, but had about 20 miles with the light on. The Shell next to my dealership where I work is $4.089 but it's right by Cabela's and off of I-78 and the only 24 hour gas station within 10-15 miles either direction on I-78 so they like to gouge a little.

I've been watching your thread as well. After seeing you using the Torque App, I decided to get the Dash Command since I have an iPhone/iPad and not a Droid. I have a feeling that my Avg RPM will be higher than yours, but we'll wait and see when I get everything setup.

Ruskymx
Ok yea i filled up as soon as my light turned on..like i was at the gas station and it turned on. I paid 4.11 and that was with cash! with credit it was like 4.21..that's the only reason i could not get a receipt cuz i paid with cash. paid $40 bucks but ended up only needing like 38 bucks and i forgot to take a picture of the gas pump. Yea i thought it was good to run some numbers so ppl can see the consistency of my driving so we can get an accurate number. I have never used the dash app for iphone/pad but i heard good things. i always use it when i drive. Yea i've been driving like a grandma and sucks cuz i just wanna wild out with the car lol..monday i should be done with the test and imma run some 0-60 and post a video up with the android app running to see what my 0-60 times are..my best was like 7.2secs but i only tried twice. Im hoping to hit at least 6.3-6.5 on monday
Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
ruskymx

My GoPoint BT1 came in and got it set up. Accidentally caused a CEL by plugging the adapter improperly. Code U0073. Ooops! Out for a drive and some data logging.

EDIT: I guess I should've read the directions first. I didn't get the data logging right and it didn't save anything. Going to go out for a drive now to see if I got it right.

Last edited by ruskymx; 08-08-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #14
RearDrive

Drives: 2000 accord v6 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
lol where i live we pay 1.50 a LITER for premium so 6 bucks for a gallon. you guys are lucky!
RearDrive is offline   Reply With Quote