follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Drives: Goal: Oldest FRS State Side
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question on two things

So im planning on replacing the driver seat with a racing seat (http://www.tf-works.com/products/TF-...cket-Seat.html) My question is will I need a bracket to mount these seats or are they plug and play?

My second question is I plan on getting one of these two 5 point harness (http://www.tf-works.com/teamtech-mot...tandard-color/ or http://www.tf-works.com/teamtech-mot...ess-with-pads/) If someone can help me pick which one is better that would be great. Also I DO NOT plan on getting a roll/harness bar. I remember seeing someone saying they mounted their harness somewhere on the rear deck (think it was those child safety things) If someone could give me a lil info on where to mount all the points for the harness.

*edit* I just noticed that the second harness is only a 4 point, for some reason it says 5.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #2
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I get the impression you have a deathwish. Those seats arent certified, and putting in a race seat into an otherwise stock car with airbag systems still in place can create a lethal scenario in a crash. Using non-certified seats and harnesses can also cause more damage to you in a crash.

That said, if that doesnt matter to you,

Then yes you will need brackets for those seats. You can put the seatbelt bolt into the stock locations in the back seats, but i must advise against it for safety reasons.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
I get the impression you have a deathwish. Those seats arent certified, and putting in a race seat into an otherwise stock car with airbag systems still in place can create a lethal scenario in a crash. Using non-certified seats and harnesses can also cause more damage to you in a crash.

That said, if that doesnt matter to you,

Then yes you will need brackets for those seats. You can put the seatbelt bolt into the stock locations in the back seats, but i must advise against it for safety reasons.
Thanks for the info on the seats, looks like I shall get better ones. I plan on doing autox, and taking my car to the track when ever i get the chance to do so.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsFang View Post
Thanks for the info on the seats, looks like I shall get better ones. I plan on doing autox, and taking my car to the track when ever i get the chance to do so.
Watch this video , if you haven't already

http://allcarsnzvideo.blogspot.ca/20...round.html?m=1
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mashal For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
Grishbok
Volunteer Fire and Rescue

Drives: Ambulance... sideways.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
For autox and track days, you wont really need any harness, cage, or seats. If you are getting into some scca events etc, you will be required to have a cage at a minimum. The cage will strengthen the chassis and give a strong mounting point for the harness.

If you install race seats, make sure to disable and remove the airbags from the car.

Also, certified seats and belts have an expiration date. This is why we usually recomend that you wait until you are required to have it in order to compete.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishbok View Post
For autox and track days, you wont really need any harness, cage, or seats. If you are getting into some scca events etc, you will be required to have a cage at a minimum. The cage will strengthen the chassis and give a strong mounting point for the harness.

If you install race seats, make sure to disable and remove the airbags from the car.

Also, certified seats and belts have an expiration date. This is why we usually recomend that you wait until you are required to have it in order to compete.
Thanks for all the info, I know I need to disable airbags when I do this. Also planning to autox this spring. It's true that seats and a harness is not needed for autox and entry track racing but if I like it then I will go to more advanced races (plus the tracks in NJ are 100% ass and have little to no run off). Also the reason i dont really want a roll/harness bar is because I have seen them bend/snap from front/rear collision first hand.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #7
mashal
DADA

Drives: 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsFang View Post
I have seen them bend/snap from front/rear collision first hand.
Lol , I guess you still haven't watched the video .

When it comes to safety , you get what you pay for .. All the ones that you saw break were most likely cheap ones. Look at video and tell me that's not a good cage .
mashal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
WolfsFang
Scrape Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashal View Post
Lol , I guess you still haven't watched the video .

When it comes to safety , you get what you pay for .. All the ones that you saw break were most likely cheap ones. Look at video and tell me that's not a good cage .
Iv seen that video before, and that roll cage is worth thousands of dollars, over engineered for something like that to happen, the seats alone are like 1.5k+ each. There is a big difference in a full roll cage vs just a harness/roll bar. I would never need a roll cage or seats like those no matter what I do.