follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-17-2017, 02:17 AM   #1
Elliotw

Drives: '18 BRZ tS, '18 GTI SE, '11 RS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New BRZ owner! :)

Hello fellow BRZ owners!
I recently picked up a BRZ series yellow. I am so excited to enjoy BRZ ownership. I am starting a journal @ http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...77#post2979577

I am so excited for my first track day. I know this BRZ is really going to shine on the track with is strong fundamentals(light weight RWD Manual)

Just wanted to say Hi

Thanks,
Elliot
Elliotw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
bcj (09-18-2017)
Old 09-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliotw View Post
Hello fellow BRZ owners!
I recently picked up a BRZ series yellow. I am so excited to enjoy BRZ ownership. I am starting a journal @ http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...77#post2979577

I am so excited for my first track day. I know this BRZ is really going to shine on the track with is strong fundamentals(light weight RWD Manual)

Just wanted to say Hi

Thanks,
Elliot
Congrats on the car, looks great! I've been tracking my FR-S the past 3 years and it's been solid. Haven't had any mechanical issues other than the occassional coilpack going bad (may want to carry a spare at the track).

Looking over your mod list, you probably want a bigger oil cooler than the Perrin if you're going to be supercharging it. I'm using the Perrin and even NA, I've seen oil temps as high as 244 F at the track (i.e., somewhat low oil pressure with 0w30/5w30). I've heard good things about Jackson Racing's oil cooler (and supercharger, for that matter), so might be worth a look. Also probably want to add some form of front camber adjustment (plates, bolts, etc.)

BTW does the series yellow come with Brembos? If so I'd be curious how they hold up at the track with a decent set of pads.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #3
el-guapin

Drives: 1949 UFO
Thanked 1,701 Times in 434 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Congrats and Welcome!!

el-guapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
Elliotw

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Congrats on the car, looks great! I've been tracking my FR-S the past 3 years and it's been solid. Haven't had any mechanical issues other than the occassional coilpack going bad (may want to carry a spare at the track).

Looking over your mod list, you probably want a bigger oil cooler than the Perrin if you're going to be supercharging it. I'm using the Perrin and even NA, I've seen oil temps as high as 244 F at the track (i.e., somewhat low oil pressure with 0w30/5w30). I've heard good things about Jackson Racing's oil cooler (and supercharger, for that matter), so might be worth a look. Also probably want to add some form of front camber adjustment (plates, bolts, etc.)

BTW does the series yellow come with Brembos? If so I'd be curious how they hold up at the track with a decent set of pads.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow your advice and go with a bigger oil cooler. I am happy you've had a reliable track in your FRS. The supercharger is a down the road mod I want to enjoy the car for awhile stock power and get a feel for it at the track. driver mod first lol
you have any suggestions for camber plates?

I am also to see how the performance pack Brembo's old up to track time. First session I am going to do just completely stock. If I have some issues Ill go pads and fluid. I will report back on their performance.

Another question. Do you use an oil catch can?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:54 PM   #5
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,576 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
@mav1178

lol he's trying so hard
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #6
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow your advice and go with a bigger oil cooler. I am happy you've had a reliable track in your FRS. The supercharger is a down the road mod I want to enjoy the car for awhile stock power and get a feel for it at the track. driver mod first lol
you have any suggestions for camber plates?

I am also to see how the performance pack Brembo's old up to track time. First session I am going to do just completely stock. If I have some issues Ill go pads and fluid. I will report back on their performance.

Another question. Do you use an oil catch can?
For camber plates, I'd go with Raceseng for the addtl caster adjustment or Velox if you want to save a bit of money.

http://www.raceseng.com/cascam-caste...aru-brz-bundle
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/velo...l#.Wb733MiGOUk

Personally I'm using a combination of camber bolts and slotted coilovers (RCE T2) with stock tophats. That's good for about -2.7 degrees, give or take.

Also I'm not using an oil catch can. I've noticed I lose about a half quart per weekend, but I just top off afterwards and watch my datalogs for knock.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 09-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #7
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigMiles View Post
Good luck on the track.

Just don't be like this guy.
He has no idea how to drive, and then blames his car.

He's got cars that weigh 800 lbs. more that the BRZ carrying turns faster than him.
Driver has no idea how to use the braking system correctly.

Why is he randomly pointing at cars like a doofus?
Is he trying to give point-bys? If so, you need to stick your arm out and point for each car.
But, he's giving point-bys at the end of the straight.
Instead of driving seriously, he's pointing at cars like a doofus for some reason.
He even randomly gives the pit out signal in the middle of a turn at one point.
The dude is casually driving like he's at the boardwalk cruise boulevard in the 1950s.

Has no idea what a racing line is.

Guy is actually turning his head backwards to see cars approaching.
Try driving your car with 2 hands on the wheel and looking ahead.
He's looking out the side of his window when turns are approaching.

When you are braking at 100%, you don't have time to be driving with one hand, pointing at people.
The guy is not even downshifting before turns, since he's busy pointing at people.
You need one hand on the wheel, and the other to downshift.

The clown music could not be more apropos.
But, cool race gloves, bro!
For one, he wasn't asking for advice, and even if he was, your recent threads eliminate any credibility you have.

Also, it's pretty fucking sad that you start a thread (which has since been deleted) for the sole purpose of humiliating a member, which by the way you absolutely suck at doing.

With all those cars you claim to own, I'd expect a least a bit more respect towards fellow peers on this forum. Since that is clearly not the case with you, it's safe to say that you are a complete manchild, and you need to grow the hell up and re-evaluate yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
why? (09-19-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 02:06 AM   #8
Elliotw

Quote:
For camber plates, I'd go with Raceseng for the addtl caster adjustment or Velox if you want to save a bit of money.

http://www.raceseng.com/cascam-caste...aru-brz-bundle
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/velo...l#.Wb733MiGOUk

Personally I'm using a combination of camber bolts and slotted coilovers (RCE T2) with stock tophats. That's good for about -2.7 degrees, give or take.

Also I'm not using an oil catch can. I've noticed I lose about a half quart per weekend, but I just top off afterwards and watch my datalogs for knock.
Cool. Thanks for the suggestions! I am also wondering what oil and pads/fluid you use? Did you change the diff or tranny oil?

My first track looks to be oct 8th! cannot wait.

How happy are you overall with your oil cooler?
Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #9
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Cool. Thanks for the suggestions! I am also wondering what oil and pads/fluid you use? Did you change the diff or tranny oil?

My first track looks to be oct 8th! cannot wait.

How happy are you overall with your oil cooler?
For track events I'll use a 0w30 or 5w30 synthetic (either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge). For everything else, 0w20 synthetic.

I've got a Wilwood BBK and am using Wilwood BP20 pads, but when I was on stock brakes I liked Carbotech XP10's or 12's.

I change diff and tranny oil once a year using Motul Gear 300. No need for you to worry about that now though - you should be fine on stock fluids. Maybe think about changing those out after ~6 track days, depending how hard you drive.

I'm generally happy with the Perrin oil cooler. Fitment and quality were all great and it was simple to install (I'm not a mechanic and had never done an oil cooler before). As I mentioned earlier though, even NA it runs a bit hotter than I want, but the smaller core size is a good compromise for a car that will see some street use. I also like that it's center mounted so my front license plate doubles as a block-off plate on the street.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
Old 09-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #10
Elliotw

Quote:
For track events I'll use a 0w30 or 5w30 synthetic (either Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge). For everything else, 0w20 synthetic.

I've got a Wilwood BBK and am using Wilwood BP20 pads, but when I was on stock brakes I liked Carbotech XP10's or 12's.

I change diff and tranny oil once a year using Motul Gear 300. No need for you to worry about that now though - you should be fine on stock fluids. Maybe think about changing those out after ~6 track days, depending how hard you drive.

I'm generally happy with the Perrin oil cooler. Fitment and quality were all great and it was simple to install (I'm not a mechanic and had never done an oil cooler before). As I mentioned earlier though, even NA it runs a bit hotter than I want, but the smaller core size is a good compromise for a car that will see some street use. I also like that it's center mounted so my front license plate doubles as a block-off plate on the street.
So you must change oil/before after every track day? or do you change every few(2-3)?

I see this jackerson radiator/oilcooler combo. I wonder how well that works.
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/jack...l#.WcCFytFrwUE
Old 09-19-2017, 08:29 AM   #11
DarkSunrise

Quote:
So you must change oil/before after every track day? or do you change every few(2-3)?

I see this jackerson radiator/oilcooler combo. I wonder how well that works.
http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/jack...l#.WcCFytFrwUE
My FR-S is used mainly at the track (not my daily driver) so I use 30 weight oil from about Apr-Nov. Once track season is over, I switch back to 0w20.

I actually saw some comments on the 86 track FB page about the JR combo cooler. Seems it works really well. I think one guy claimed he saw max track oil temps of 220 F in 80 F ambient weather. If true, it actually works better than my Perrin standalone (~230 F oil temps in similar conditions). Should also help bring coolant temps up to nominal faster in street driving. Might be a good solution for you, but I'd probably send an email to Jackson asking whether it's got enough cooling capacity when paired to a supercharger on the track.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Elliotw (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 08:34 AM   #12
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Congrats and welcome, you chose a great platform for that.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
Elliotw

Quote:
My FR-S is used mainly at the track (not my daily driver) so I use 30 weight oil from about Apr-Nov. Once track season is over, I switch back to 0w20.

I actually saw some comments on the 86 track FB page about the JR combo cooler. Seems it works really well. I think one guy claimed he saw max track oil temps of 220 F in 80 F ambient weather. If true, it actually works better than my Perrin standalone (~230 F oil temps in similar conditions). Should also help bring coolant temps up to nominal faster in street driving. Might be a good solution for you, but I'd probably send an email to Jackson asking whether it's got enough cooling capacity when paired to a supercharger on the track.
Thanks. That's a good plan I do not daily drive my BRZ either. It's a track/fun car. I emailed Jackson asking how the dual radiator/oil cooler holds up for tracking na and supercharged. They said it will hold up fine.(they use it on their supercharged car). I also learned it is not plug n play for MY17. They are working on a solution for MY17 which will be plug n play.
I really appreciate all the suggestions. Makes joining this community awesome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elliotw For This Useful Post:
DarkSunrise (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #14
DarkSunrise

Quote:
Thanks. That's a good plan I do not daily drive my BRZ either. It's a track/fun car. I emailed Jackson asking how the dual radiator/oil cooler holds up for tracking na and supercharged. They said it will hold up fine.(they use it on their supercharged car). I also learned it is not plug n play for MY17. They are working on a solution for MY17 which will be plug n play.
I really appreciate all the suggestions. Makes joining this community awesome.
No problem, looking forward to seeing your build

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build