follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Arizona

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2017, 01:56 AM   #1
Chen
Regional Moderator

Drives: 13' ZN6 / 00' AP1 / 20' A90/ 15 EVO
Thanked 1,275 Times in 854 Posts
Mentioned: 307 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Vacation.

Hey guys, my girlfriend and a few friends are visiting Phoenix/ Flagstaff and headed to Antelope Canyon. We're there for a week at the end of April. I'm just trying to get a feel of what must dos/sees the locals recommend. I tried google, and well... everything is like a 3+ hour drive from the canyon. Anyway. Looking forward to seeing your recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #2
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Go down and see Sedona. The route from flagstaff down to Sedona then on to phoenix is a lot of canyon driving. Great fun. Make sure you hit it up during the early morning or late afternoon to minimize traffic. Make sure it is mostly in the light though if you want to enjoy it fully. Section of road I'm referring to is road 89A I circled it on the map.
Attached Images

jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
Chen
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Go down and see Sedona. The route from flagstaff down to Sedona then on to phoenix is a lot of canyon driving. Great fun. Make sure you hit it up during the early morning or late afternoon to minimize traffic. Make sure it is mostly in the light though if you want to enjoy it fully. Section of road I'm referring to is road 89A I circled it on the map.
Unfortunately. It won't be in the twin, just some what ever they decide to give me. We're looking to minimizing driving time and maximize everything else
Old 01-30-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What exactly are you into? Wineries? Craft beer? Food? Clubs/night life?

There's plenty to do in Flagstaff and Phoenix. In between the two, you generally need to drive 30-60 minutes away from the 17 to get anywhere. It's worth it IMO, but really depends on the specifics of your itinerary - "Phoenix/Flagstaff" is pretty vague.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #5
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
I'm gonna have to check this one out. I did the whole Congress to Prescott road and it was like 10-15 min of windy sections. Although the part where it's 3 lanes wide is nuts if you like to imitate racing lines. I was also having e85 gas station anxiety 95% through with the road so maybe there were sections I could've enjoyed but I was too low on gas.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
Chen
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
What exactly are you into? Wineries? Craft beer? Food? Clubs/night life?

There's plenty to do in Flagstaff and Phoenix. In between the two, you generally need to drive 30-60 minutes away from the 17 to get anywhere. It's worth it IMO, but really depends on the specifics of your itinerary - "Phoenix/Flagstaff" is pretty vague.
I would love to check out what az has to offer for beer and food. Touristy things. I just happen to be staying in those 2 major cities to give an idea
Old 01-31-2017, 01:17 AM   #7
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chen View Post
I would love to check out what az has to offer for beer and food. Touristy things. I just happen to be staying in those 2 major cities to give an idea
In Flagstaff: I hear there is a great bar scene. Sadly I haven't really experienced it as an adult. Beware, there is like 1 cop per 3 bar patrons in Flag, and we have a zero tolerance DUI limit (any amount over zero = jail). Check out Mother Road Brewing, Historic Brewing, or (my personal favorite Flag brewer) Lumberyard Brewing. Only restaurant I've been to recently there was Brix, it was decent.

In Prescott: Prescott Brewing was an awesome place, I think the flight I ordered had 12 beers (I don't remember that well, haha) and I liked pretty much all of them, even with the wide range of styles. They are right next to Whiskey Row, which is fun if you enjoy the night time bar scene but not much in the way of craft beer there. Be prepared to cab it since most hotels aren't nearby.

Consider a night in Prescott, followed by a drive to Jerome via 89A - it will be fun even in a rental, just make sure your GF doesn't get motion sick easily. There's tons of touristy shit to do in Jerome. If you're a Tool fan, Maynard sells wine and Puscifer stuff in two adjacent stores. Haunted hamburger is decent (make sure you get their right at open, since the line gets legendary, and ask for an outside bar seat, amazing view), there's a Mexican cantina with some potent salsa, and a fudge shop that is worth the larger waistline. There's some mining museum too if that excites you.

In Phoenix: you *must* check out Four Peaks Brewing, they are the top craft beer guys in state. You may see their stuff pop up in Oregon in not too long as they've finally started distributing out of state. They have kickass food too at their 8th st bar (original location). Other good breweries are San Tan brewing (if you like really hoppy stuff, that's their main focus), AZ Wilderness Co, Pedal Haus, Papago Brewing. Good places that serve a ton of craft beer: Yucca Tap Room, Boulders on Broadway, Spokes on Southern, Blasted Barley (used to be world of beer, and the only thing on this list that will make you feel like you attended a chain rather than a local place).

For good Mexican food, just throw a stone in any direction, but I particularly recommend any Macayo's locations if you want a sit down place. They claim to have invented the chimichanga, and as far as I'm concerned they're not wrong. Also good is the Los Taquitos on 48th St. and Elliot Rd (it's been on Food Network), and for bomb-ass breakfast burritos hit up El Sol bakery in Chandler.

All my spots are in the East Valley, others in the West can chime in...but really, everyone in the West Valley comes out East to have fun anyway.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote