follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-09-2018, 05:56 AM   #4649
johl

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
During a fast paced canyon run today I noticed my brakes would feel like the abs was pulsing when braking. This only occurred when the road was not flat (ie: there was a wheel with less load on it) as a result my brakes felt almost useless as all I was getting was abs feedback and they were barely pulling the car up at all.

Back ground info that may help:
- tires are ad09r 255/35/18
- brakes were not hot at all
- pads and rotors are standard gts but with braided brake lines and standard fluid
- driving aids were still on

Anyone have any ideas? I have my first track day in 2 weeks and there are some very unforgiving walls near braking zones there so I would like to get this issue resolved.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #4650
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,251 Times in 677 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johl View Post
During a fast paced canyon run today I noticed my brakes would feel like the abs was pulsing when braking. This only occurred when the road was not flat (ie: there was a wheel with less load on it) as a result my brakes felt almost useless as all I was getting was abs feedback and they were barely pulling the car up at all.

- pads and rotors are standard gts but with braided brake lines and standard fluid

Anyone have any ideas? I have my first track day in 2 weeks and there are some very unforgiving walls near braking zones there so I would like to get this issue resolved.
I expect what you are feeling is the driving aids kicking in. They are simply doing what they are designed to do. Turn them off and do the same drive safely, then report back.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #4651
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johl View Post

I'd first verify ABS is doing what you expect. Force it to engage in a safe place where you can stop HARD in a straight line. Stay in it. It's tough on pads, but the car should still stop rather quickly - not quite as quickly as if you'd not engaged ABS, but close. Once ABS hits you need to use maximum force on the pedal for it to work at its best, unless you have room to release the brake and re-apply with slightly less force, hopefully not hitting ABS.

I don't recall ever running into the nannies under braking, only after releasing and while turning. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, of course.

Could also be EBD, which only goes away with pedal dance.

Nannies off can definitely help, but you have to be on your game.
johl (06-09-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #4652
Joesurf79

Drives: 2016 White Pearl BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I expect what you are feeling is the driving aids kicking in. They are simply doing what they are designed to do. Turn them off and do the same drive safely, then report back.

I'd agree with Pat that this is likely the culprit. With 255 width rubber, there is a lot of grip left on the table when the electronic "fun police" intervene - and when they do intervene it can be upsetting to the chassis if it's loaded in a long sweeping corner.
Joesurf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joesurf79 For This Useful Post:
johl (06-12-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 12:41 PM   #4653
Code Monkey

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
With endlinks like Hotchkis, that are adjustable only on one side, how do I make sure there is no preload on the sway bar?

With endlinks like Whiteline that are adjustable on both sides, I can shorten and lengthen the endlink and lock it in that sweet position where the endlink is neither pulling nor pushing on the bar. There is no way of doing it with the Hotchkis endlink.
Attached Images

Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #4654
Casey10s

Drives: 2013 white limited BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hello,

My wheel alignment is out and I am trying to been on the track about 15 times but I still use it for street though it is not my main street car. I was looking for settings that would help on the track but not throw off the car for street driving.

I will hopefully be running 245/40-17 RE-71R for my next track day and I do not have any suspension modifications.

The mechanic will do the settings if I tell him what I want. Also, should I have the new tires on or doesn't it matter? I now have 225/45-17 on the car and will swap these back on if I don't have track days.

Thanks in advance.
Casey10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #4655
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey10s View Post
Hello,

My wheel alignment is out and I am trying to been on the track about 15 times but I still use it for street though it is not my main street car. I was looking for settings that would help on the track but not throw off the car for street driving.

I will hopefully be running 245/40-17 RE-71R for my next track day and I do not have any suspension modifications.

The mechanic will do the settings if I tell him what I want. Also, should I have the new tires on or doesn't it matter? I now have 225/45-17 on the car and will swap these back on if I don't have track days.

Thanks in advance.
How do you know your alignment is out?

All you can do is toe on a stock suspension.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #4656
Casey10s

Drives: 2013 white limited BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
How do you know your alignment is out?

All you can do is toe on a stock suspension.

Tires on one side are wearing a lot differently than the other side. Just started to do this during the last two track days.
Casey10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #4657
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Tires on one side are wearing a lot differently than the other side. Just started to do this during the last two track days.
Are you... possibly turning one direction more than the other? Cuz tracks usually finish a complete loop
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #4658
slyphen

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to slyphen Send a message via Yahoo to slyphen
Quote:
thats likely because you are turning more to one side than the other. if the tire is bi-directional, just rotate them. if not, go get them flipped (unless the tire has an inside/outside).
slyphen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slyphen For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-22-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #4659
cool7

Drives: BRZ WRB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have a BRZ, it has the stock suspension with added front camber (via bolts) and stock tires/brakes. Also have MCA rear traction mod.

However, i'm looking to get DTC60 for the fronts, should I choose the same for the rear?
I haven't tracked with the pedal dance mode before. If I turn on Pedal dance mode, will I be ok with stock rear pads and DTC60 front?

If my budget allows I would like to get NT01s as well.
cool7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #4660
TurtReynolds

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
You shouldn't mix compounds, let alone mixing such a large differential in compounds of brake material unless you're looking for a very specific effect. You're going to unbalance the braking force on the car as a result and possibly cause an incident on track doing so.

Your compound at all four corners should match.

That said I would look at a different compound besides Hawk. Perhaps Winmax (W5 or W6) or Project Mu; but that's me. I didn't have a good experience with Hawk.
TurtReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #4661
johl

Drives: toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for all the help about my braking issue. Did a track day this morning and didn’t experience the pulsating issue at all.

Next on the mod list is either an oil cooler or pads and rotors. I’ll have to start doing my research on which ones I should buy
Old 07-02-2018, 05:22 PM   #4662
LittleChuuChuu

Drives: '15 DGM
Hi Mike, when I’m doing high speed sweeps, such as turn 2 at THill East I can feel some vibration in the rear but when I accelerate more it goes away. Could it be my suspension maxing out since I have a gutted rear, apr gt200 wing and only lowering springs? I originally thought it was my tires but talking with someone this weekend he mentioned it could be suspension.
LittleChuuChuu is offline   Reply With Quote