follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #1
Face_Plant

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Buy Parts Online and Pick Them Up At the Dealer?

I've only had my FR-S for a few weeks, so I'm still trying to get "caught up" on everything. In the VW world that I'm coming from there is a website where I can buy genuine OEM parts online, then pick them up from the parts department at the local VW dealer. You can search by name/part number, they have parts diagrams, etc. Is there anything like this for Subaru/Toyota?

I'm planning to replace the engine, trans, and rear diff oils since I don't know when or if they've ever been changed, so I need the crush washers and a filter. In the past when I've helped my buddy change the fluids in his '15 WRX the crush washers were impossible to find locally and the oil filter they tried to sell us was way too small. Since my FR-S basically has the same motor without the turbo, I'm assuming that I'll have similar issues trying to find the correct parts...
Face_Plant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just look up stuff here.
https://parts.subaru.com/Subaru__BRZ.html

Then I call the local dealer on the phone.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantedTaken For This Useful Post:
Face_Plant (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Nobody has ever seemed to have an issue finding these parts.
If you have a couple of dealers check prices at each. Check both Toyota and Subaru since prices can vary substantially depending on what you are after.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:47 PM   #4
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
If you have a couple of dealers check prices at each. Check both Toyota and Subaru since prices can vary substantially depending on what you are after.

Case in point: twins' special blue antifreeze is a lot cheaper at Subaru than at Toyota.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
Face_Plant (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #5
Face_Plant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
I just look up stuff here.
https://parts.subaru.com/Subaru__BRZ.html

Then I call the local dealer on the phone.
That seems like a good enough alternative. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I live in a small red neck town, so if you aren't driving a Ford or Chevy truck, then there's a good chance that the parts store won't have anything in stock for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
Case in point: twins' special blue antifreeze is a lot cheaper at Subaru than at Toyota.
Thanks, that's good to know for when it's time to replace the coolant.
The Following User Says Thank You to Face_Plant For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I get WIX filters from the local NAPA autoparts store.
They can get crush washers too, but I replaced the plug with a FUMOTO valve.
They also carry Eneos oil.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #7
Slonie

Drives: Only ridiculous cars
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
Hell, I've heard a wiring harness is $1800 at Toyota and $360 at Subaru. Now I'm going to have to always check both..
Slonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Somebody should start a thread listing which dealership (Toyota/Subaru) has a particular part cheaper with both part numbers (apples to apples comparison).

Here's the first entry:
Antifreeze: Toyota Super Blue #00272-GTBC1 $27.29-$28.43/Subaru Blue Super Coolant #SOA868V9270 $21.78-$25.20
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:43 AM   #9
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Op's stated car is 2015 FRS blue with 49,000 miles, bought used.
Opinion: Screw German cars, Japanese built are the worlds best at the moment, so enjoy your purchase.

Personal >>opinion<<, choice:

I drive a 2015 FRS blue with manual trans and currently 54,000 miles on it. Bought new.

I use Mobil One full synthetic 0W20 from Walmart...whichever Mobil One they have in stock. Comes in 5 quart container, not enough as car takes 5 1/2 quarts. So cheapest in the long term is to buy two 5 gallon containers, as buying a one quart container is expensive. Save remainder of container for next oil change. Always change oil at 7500 mile intervals.

Former auto tech here. The crush washers come in copper or aluminum. Guess what, one crush washer works for numerous oil changes.

I buy oil filter at Subaru Dealership if available, if it's a Sunday, oh well, get Fram's absolute best (Ultra ?) at Walmart.

I plan never to change oil in trans or diff as there's just no combustion in those areas.
I ain't gonna have the car like forever.

I may change the spark plugs somewhat after the 60,000 mile interval suggested. I think/hope I can do it myself with the exact, proper tools, leaning over the fenders and not jacking up the engine...we'll see.

Coolant change maybe after like five/ten ? years, and I'll use Prestone extended life concentrate 100%. (Buying the 50/50 mixtures is a total ripoff). Don't need blue color, screw that b.s. Green Prestone works just fine. Note: I've already added Prestone several times as this car eats coolant, mysteriously.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 03-16-2018 at 02:34 AM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:20 AM   #10
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Plant View Post
Thanks, that's good to know for when it's time to replace the coolant.

It's not a bad idea to go ahead and buy a jug to keep on hand. With other vehicles, if you need coolant on a Sunday you can just pop into Auto Zone and pick up a jug of yellow. You can't do that with our vehicles. If you need to top off, you have to find a dealer to get blue coolant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
I buy oil filter at Subaru Dealership if available, if it's a Sunday, oh well, get Fram's absolute best (Ultra ?) at Walmart.

Fram filters should only be used in vehicles that you hate and are trying to kill. The media has a reputation for collapsing and causing oil starvation, and the anti-drain back valves have been known to fail. It's like hating your children, so you buy the toothpaste at the dollar store with Chinese script on the label hoping you get the kind sweetened with antifreeze.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #11
Face_Plant

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
I get WIX filters from the local NAPA autoparts store
The oil filter we tried to get from NAPA for my buddy's '15 WRX with the 2.0 was incorrect. We tried looking it up by application, interchanging the part number from the Subaru filter, looking it up in paper catalogs, etc, but every time the filter was way too small. I'd go this route if I could since I used to work at my local NAPA and they still give me a discount on stuff, but since my FR-S basically has the same motor without the turbo/related bits, I'm assuming that the filter they try to sell me will be wrong too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
Opinion: Screw German cars, Japanese built are the worlds best at the moment, so enjoy your purchase.
So far it hasn't been a bad decision. I definitely miss the noises and power my VR6 turbo made, but the FR-S seems like a much higher quality and more reliable car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
It's not a bad idea to go ahead and buy a jug to keep on hand. With other vehicles, if you need coolant on a Sunday you can just pop into Auto Zone and pick up a jug of yellow. You can't do that with our vehicles. If you need to top off, you have to find a dealer to get blue coolant.
I'm used to that from the VW world, so that's nothing new to me and won't be hard to get used to. VW's take special everything and it was only available online or at the dealer. Special coolant, special bolts, etc...
Old 03-17-2018, 02:43 AM   #12
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face_Plant View Post
The oil filter we tried to get from NAPA for my buddy's '15 WRX with the 2.0 was incorrect. We tried looking it up by application, interchanging the part number from the Subaru filter, looking it up in paper catalogs, etc, but every time the filter was way too small. I'd go this route if I could since I used to work at my local NAPA and they still give me a discount on stuff, but since my FR-S basically has the same motor without the turbo/related bits, I'm assuming that the filter they try to sell me will be wrong too.
It's not the same filter, and you're making this more complicated than it should be. For the FR-S and BRZ, you can look up the filter number yourself on the Wix website. I just did it, and it said to use filter 57830. Here's a thread where someone installed a 57830 and took pics:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17321

Looks right to me.

Wix filters are sold at Napa under the brand "Napa Gold." They just drop the first digit off the filter number. So a Wix 57830 is the same as a Napa Gold 7830.

You don't have to buy them from Napa, however. Rock Auto sells the Wix 57830 for $3.72 each (plus shipping). O'Reilly also carries them, but they're $9 each as opposed to less than $6 for the Napa Gold branded version.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 05:49 PM   #13
SuperSub7

Drives: Awesome
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I order genuine OEM Subaru parts and accessories from https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/ and have them shipped quickly and conveniently to my door. This web page offers giant savings on the everything OEM Subaru and they are the first place I go to for Subaru parts. Hope this helps.
SuperSub7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperSub7 For This Useful Post:
Face_Plant (03-20-2018)