follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 PM   #197
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
I skimmed through this thread and there was no mention of any FWD Honda being called a sports car.

Regardless of what you, I, or anyone else thinks though when it comes to defining a sports car, a Honda has as much capability to be fast as our FR-S and BRZ.

I mean there is a certain trim of Honda Civic that ran a 7:43 on the Nürburgring, faster than most cars that you could put as examples of your definition of sports car, so...
Shit my 1998 Honda econobox that's basically stock (pads, fluids, dampers/springs and tires) is faster than my BRZ was with the exact same types of mods at Sebring.

So yeah, Honda today can make something FWD and faster at the track than a 2017 BRZ, stock vs stock.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
KR-S (07-31-2017), Tcoat (07-31-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 11:40 PM   #198
tptwrc

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
That's one way to look at it. Wrong. But it's one way.

As many have said, the definition of what a sports car is can be up for debate. A Boxster Spyder doesn't meet your definition but if you seriously think that the twins are more of a sports car than the Boxster Spyder then your fanboism level is off the charts.

Personally, I'd prefer to just skip the definition all together and settle it at the track.
And yet all things being equal, the same boxster with a rigid roof would be a much better performing car. Nice try
tptwrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:46 PM   #199
tptwrc

Quote:
I skimmed through this thread and there was no mention of any FWD Honda being called a sports car.

Regardless of what you, I, or anyone else thinks though when it comes to defining a sports car, a Honda has as much capability to be fast as our FR-S and BRZ.

I mean there is a certain trim of Honda Civic that ran a 7:43 on the Nürburgring, faster than most cars that you could put as examples of your definition of sports car, so...
2017 Civic Type R......Bottom line: buying a fwd sports car is like buying a race horse with a sprained ankle. It's ridiculous arguing with you guys. If you like hondas then have at it. Fwd is a handicap. I guess if you just pit fwd against fwd. Anything else, all things being equal, they miss the mark.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:47 PM   #200
tptwrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tptwrc View Post
2017 Civic Type R......Bottom line: buying a fwd sports car is like buying a race horse with a sprained ankle. It's ridiculous arguing with you guys. If you like hondas then have at it. Fwd is a handicap. I guess if you just pit fwd against fwd. Anything else, all things being equal, they miss the mark.

Mic drop
Old 08-04-2017, 11:52 PM   #201
tptwrc

Quote:

Mic picked up one last time...Btw did you catch all the mods the engineers did to acheive this feat, ie removing rear seats, using an undisclosed tire compound, etc?
Old 08-05-2017, 03:04 AM   #202
LancePower

Drives: 2020 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Back in the 90s I started to write a song about Ricing.

"Iced out
Riced out
Honda Civic
Clear the lights out"

I didn't get very far, lol. This is when the "Altezza tail lights" were all the rage, btw.
LancePower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #203
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Mic picked up one last time...Btw did you catch all the mods the engineers did to acheive this feat, ie removing rear seats, using an undisclosed tire compound, etc?
but that is what happens when any car hits the ring. Seriously they probably put $50k in mods and engineering to get it ready for the run.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #204
tptwrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
but that is what happens when any car hits the ring. Seriously they probably put $50k in mods and engineering to get it ready for the run.
Word!
Old 08-06-2017, 01:13 AM   #205
Shinigami301
Slow driver, fast biker.

Drives: '16 86, '00 Celica GTS, Sportbikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
That is the point. There is no real definition of what a "sports car" is. Each person defines it by their own standard and no big is wrong really. I totally disagree that being modifiable makes anything a sports car but it doesn't matter because there is no definition rule book that can be pointed at and say "see".
Debates on what constitutes rice, racercar, or sports car are just big pissing contests in the long run.
A reasonable article on the subject.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...car-definition

And Webster's says: : a low, small car that seats two people and that is made for fast driving
Shinigami301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:41 AM   #206
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
What happens when your thoroughbred loses to a handicapped mule? Your high horse turns out to be a slow one.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #207
Deep Six

Drives: 2013 FRS / 2013 427 Vert
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Your statement is very much class dependent. There is plenty of quantifiable results that prove FWD cars can be very competitive as full on race cars competing against RWD cars in the same class. PWC and Conti series both have examples competing at this time. However in the high power classes we all know that RWD and AWD are the only practical setups to effectively harness the power.

I have know idea what this current conversation has to do with the original thread content unless you are suggesting that ricer and FWD are synonymous?
2013 FR-S Asphalt BC Coils/Rev Works UEL header/HKS Front Pipe/Racing Brake BBK/Shorai LW Battery/ACT 6 Puck Clutch/FBM Radiator & Oil Pan/JR Oil Cooler/Jackson Racing High Boost C30/Rev Works Built Motor
2016 Audi TTS APR Tuned
Deep Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 02:55 PM   #208
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post
Your statement is very much class dependent. There is plenty of quantifiable results that prove FWD cars can be very competitive as full on race cars competing against RWD cars in the same class. PWC and Conti series both have examples competing at this time. However in the high power classes we all know that RWD and AWD are the only practical setups to effectively harness the power.

I have know idea what this current conversation has to do with the original thread content unless you are suggesting that ricer and FWD are synonymous?
thread drift is what we do best. I bet at least 25% of the threads on the new post list are having discussions that have nothing to do with the original topic.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:10 PM   #209
tptwrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Six View Post

Ha I have completely forgotten what the point was butvi actually think you summed it succinctly. Yes, for all intents and purposes, ricer could be said to be practically synonymous with fwd. Yay, a light at the end of the tunnel!
Old 08-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #210
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Ha I have completely forgotten what the point was butvi actually think you summed it succinctly. Yes, for all intents and purposes, ricer could be said to be practically synonymous with fwd. Yay, a light at the end of the tunnel!
Be honest.

Would you really rather take this:

Name:  IMG_2691.JPG
Views: 510
Size:  146.4 KB

over this "LOL FWD automatic rice" ITR?

Name:  IMG_2693.JPG
Views: 520
Size:  124.3 KB

And once again, no one but you is calling an FWD Honda a "sports car."
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote