follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2015, 11:05 PM   #3543
Gopherboy6956

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinK121 View Post
So I've actually been spending a good amount of time hashing out my opinion on this and I just went back to read what some of the fellas in here had to say. One thing you said really resonated with something that's kind of been in the back of mind through all the reading.

"predictable, linear powerband. For RWD, I don't want the rear wheels to hit a huge spike in power while i'm on the track."

I drove a friend's 400+hp rsx this past weekend and when the boost hits sh!t gets wild. No traction, the steering wheel goes everywhere and there is no sense of stability/safety.

If it were rear wheel drive and it got out from behind just a little that'd probably be pretry bad. Thinking of that on the track trying get out of a turn with some quickness that surge would definitely send you.

Granted, a ~450 fwd car is going to be a different world than a ~300 turbo RWD car but what you said still resonates. That spike would still likely kick the tail out of control.

My only question now is why Vortech over JRSC?
Yea - coming from FWD cars - i didn't need my first RWD car to be even more difficult to learn on the track.

On the Vortech - they co-developed the Kit with @PERRIN, who I have worked with extensively with my build. I felt confident with that kit (it was basically version 2 when i got it vs someone like @Dezoris initial kit) and they solved many of the little install / reliability issues that existed.

From a power capability aspect, even though JRSC has a bit more power potential, the support behind the kit was just more important. The install of the SC was pretty dang easy to be honest - sure it took me all weekend (Friday night - Sunday night) in my garage, but I also did the Radiator, Hoses, Oil Cooler, Catch Cans, Pulleys, etc at the same time.

Both kits are top notch, and I wouldn't tell someone NOT to get JRSC.

As for your comment a page or two back about what to do after you sell the RSX - Get wheels/tires and brakes and fluid first. Then suspension. THEN after you understand how the car handles with those mods, add power.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gopherboy6956 For This Useful Post:
KevinK121 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 12:29 AM   #3544
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopherboy6956 View Post
Yea - coming from FWD cars - i didn't need my first RWD car to be even more difficult to learn on the track.

On the Vortech - they co-developed the Kit with @PERRIN, who I have worked with extensively with my build. I felt confident with that kit (it was basically version 2 when i got it vs someone like @Dezoris initial kit) and they solved many of the little install / reliability issues that existed.

From a power capability aspect, even though JRSC has a bit more power potential, the support behind the kit was just more important. The install of the SC was pretty dang easy to be honest - sure it took me all weekend (Friday night - Sunday night) in my garage, but I also did the Radiator, Hoses, Oil Cooler, Catch Cans, Pulleys, etc at the same time.

Both kits are top notch, and I wouldn't tell someone NOT to get JRSC.

As for your comment a page or two back about what to do after you sell the RSX - Get wheels/tires and brakes and fluid first. Then suspension. THEN after you understand how the car handles with those mods, add power.
Plenty of 86 owners are noobs, first cars, first RWD cars so in a way it's become a huge trial and error platform for people. I try to talk to as many owners as possible when they asked about modding anything, like a broken record I'd say "don't touch anything until you get good at driving it stock."
That helps the autox guys the most. But that's really hard when you are young to listen to.

The newer SC kits are much better now, but as you did there are plenty of supporting items you want and need as well that complicates installs even more.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:23 AM   #3545
jdnguyen

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10 and 2010 Camry
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
So I've actually been spending a good amount of time hashing out my opinion on this and I just went back to read what some of the fellas in here had to say. One thing you said really resonated with something that's kind of been in the back of mind through all the reading.

"predictable, linear powerband. For RWD, I don't want the rear wheels to hit a huge spike in power while i'm on the track."

I drove a friend's 400+hp rsx this past weekend and when the boost hits sh!t gets wild. No traction, the steering wheel goes everywhere and there is no sense of stability/safety.

If it were rear wheel drive and it got out from behind just a little that'd probably be pretry bad. Thinking of that on the track trying get out of a turn with some quickness that surge would definitely send you.

Granted, a ~450 fwd car is going to be a different world than a ~300 turbo RWD car but what you said still resonates. That spike would still likely kick the tail out of control.

My only question now is why Vortech over JRSC?

Kevin I wish I would have ran into you at the show. Depending on your goals, I've weighed out turbo or s/c a lot as well. The more I think about it the more I want to stay NA. I primarily autox. I have all the bolt ons, flex fuel, and 4.556 gears. My car has much more grunt than a stock FRS/BRZ. You can't get any more predictable than an NA car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdnguyen For This Useful Post:
KevinK121 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #3546
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Drives: 2002 Miata SE
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

A lot of good info again.

Yeah I can tend to get ahead of myself when it comes to FI haha.

Thanks for your response!
KevinK121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #3547
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnguyen View Post
Kevin I wish I would have ran into you at the show. Depending on your goals, I've weighed out turbo or s/c a lot as well. The more I think about it the more I want to stay NA. I primarily autox. I have all the bolt ons, flex fuel, and 4.556 gears. My car has much more grunt than a stock FRS/BRZ. You can't get any more predictable than an NA car.

I haven't done a lick of reading on flex fuel kits or different gearing. Always more to learn I suppose

Yeah the guys I was with all give me crap for wanting to get a brz. "Too slow". The funny thing is its nearly identical to the weight and power of a stock rsx-s. Just RWD and brand new, among other obvious differences.

If I would have stopped to chat there would have been a lot of eye rolling from my friends lol.

I have a few weeks before I can even be eligible for a loan so if you guys plan on another meet or anything I'll swing out.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:53 AM   #3548
Gopherboy6956

Just take the rsx to proving grounds. I did, was Still fun as hell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gopherboy6956 For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (04-07-2015), jdnguyen (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #3549
jdnguyen

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10 and 2010 Camry
Quote:

Yes you can have fun in any vehicle. I used to drive an ep3 civic. I never did anything to it but even in that I know it would have been a blast in the autox

jdnguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 10:18 AM   #3550
KevinK121
Miata traitor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdnguyen View Post
Yes you can have fun in any vehicle. I used to drive an ep3 civic. I never did anything to it but even in that I know it would have been a blast in the autox

I'm rearing 190k ands experiencing a lot of age related problems. This is the main reason I'm looking into a different car.

Would nor feel safe with my car on the track anymore :/
Old 04-07-2015, 10:32 AM   #3551
Gopherboy6956

Quote:
I'm rearing 190k ands experiencing a lot of age related problems. This is the main reason I'm looking into a different car.

Would nor feel safe with my car on the track anymore :/
Fair Enough. My car was only really in track mode for a year before my BRZ.
I miss it still

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=710729
Old 04-07-2015, 11:01 AM   #3552
KevinK121
Miata traitor

I may or may not have creeped through your build thread already lol. Grats on the aspec package btw.

What were your initial reactions going to the 86 from the rsx?
Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #3553
Gopherboy6956

Quote:
I may or may not have creeped through your build thread already lol. Grats on the aspec package btw.

What were your initial reactions going to the 86 from the rsx?
Ha yea, the hardest part of the Aspec package was the damn badge. Sold that thing for a ludicrous amount of money.

Initial reactions - The #1 thing were the differences in seats. The RSX always felt pretty sport and bolstered, and then i got into the BRZ. Makes the RSX seats feel like bench seats in a truck lol. The whole seating position in the BRZ is vastly improved. Power stock feels about the same, but the delivery is different. No V-tec obviously, so it 'seems' slower.

Otherwise, handling is vastly improved. The rear diff is excellent and steering feels so much tighter and precise since you don't have front wheels driving.

One thing that you learn pretty quick, but still takes forever to master, is getting on the power out of a corner. The RSX you can just pin it to the floor and let it pull you out of the turn, the BRZ needs to be finessed out.

In the end, i'm 100% happy about the switch. the RSX was my tuner fanboy unicorn car ever since high school, but the BRZ is different in all the right ways if you have interest in the track.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gopherboy6956 For This Useful Post:
KevinK121 (04-07-2015)
Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #3554
KevinK121
Miata traitor

If I wasn't sold before I sure am now lol. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2015, 12:50 PM   #3555
Gopherboy6956

Haha. Glad I could help feed the addiction.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:11 PM   #3556
Blu-by-U
Some Dumb Guy

Drives: wanting an Acabian
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
PROVING GROUNDS 2015.1, can't wait to watch you kids play.