follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #365
Dragonitti
Banned

Drives: Boosted Scion tC, 350z
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Finally got to the end from where I originally posted in this thread....wheew...and to say that a few post on here reached as far as it did is pretty crazy!

Anyhow, nice insight Leeky. Man I can't wait to sit in this beaut.
Dragonitti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #366
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by syldrin View Post
^ on paper wouldn't the flappy paddle be faster on a bendy track than a manual.
You sound just like toyota comittee

The car was designed around enjoyment, not numbers brah
Old 11-30-2011, 09:21 PM   #367
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeky View Post
Hey guys

Thanks to you all for understanding and apologies to Toyota for any trouble this mis-information has caused.

When the person from Toyota PR quizzed me on my post i suddenly realised that if i told him who it was then i would get that person in trouble. So i played dumb and said i couldnt remeber who told me But.... that made me look like a liar in the eyes of the guy from Toyota PR But it was worth it as it was just one whole big misunderstanding and the whole thing has blown over now. Just turned out to be a language barrier problem. I was talking about the 86 and he was talking about another car lol

EVERYONE has been awesome! And the friendliest people in the whole world I've made many many new friends from this trip and i fully intend to visit Japan again. I also have welcomed everyone i have met to come and visit England so i can show them around

Anyway you'll be glad to know i have many many close up pictures of the cars interior AND under the bonnet!

I was one of the few very lucky people who got to sit in the car and i can safely report that its awesome!

Not too big, not too small and very very well built.

And the funny thing is... i was planning on getting a manual, but since touching the shift paddles i now want the auto hehe

Anyway, i'll go upload my pictures now and start a new thread right away!

btw someone called me Leeky at the show, introduced themselves to me and i shook their hand. I do apologise that we didnt have a proper conversation as it was at that moment that Toyota PR came to talk to me. So apologies for that and please post up to let me know it was you
Huh any reason why you consider the paddles?

And to those that don't want to waste your time... well... wouldn't you drive it to justify the reason you're not getting it? o_O; Still seems odd that you wouldn't give it a shot and see if anything has improved over the years. Oh well, no need for me to preach, the release is exciting!
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #368
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It's good to hear for you Leeky.

I don't know about you, but I'm glad our forum's 15 minutes of fame is over with now. Things were getting a little hairy back there.

Lets all get back to drooling over the car and try to figure out what the TRD package will now include. I want carbon Fibre doors.
jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:58 PM   #369
70NYD

Drives: RX8 S1
Hi man good to hear
hope you had a awesome time, and thank you for being a good correspondent
now if only someone would pay you for it
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 AM   #370
Buggy51

Drives: Put Put
And a totally random question, but how did the keyless entry and ignition work Leeky?
Buggy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #371
Chokonen888

Drives: Seibu Shinjuku Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokonen888 View Post
Nowhere else are we seeing these "facts" reported, quite the opposite, so someone dropped the ball here. Are you sure it wasn't just some random Japanese guy in a Toyota Jacket wanting to speak English to a foreigner? Believe me, it happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeky View Post
Hi guys. I'm at the show and cleared up all the confusion so everybody relax. The guy who I thought was head of advertising for Toyota was actually head of advertising for social network racer. And i think he was talking about something else when talking about 1000 units all hand made. So very sorry to all for the mix up.
Like I said...it happens
Chokonen888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #372
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Thanks for your effort Leeky!
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:25 AM   #373
Leeky
3S-GTE Junky

Drives: Toyota Celica GT-Four ST205
Hi guys Back in the UK now. What an amazing week!

Now i've had time to sit back and reflect on the car i've come to the conclusion that my purchase of an 86 really is based on its final price.

There is no denying that Toyota/Subaru have made an incredible machine here and the build quality is superb!

But the biggest issue (as i spoke to the people in Japan about in great detail) is the price of this car. Which is going to be a tough one because of the strength of the Yen at the moment.

At the originally projected £20k UK price i wouldnt have thought twice about it. But i read that the car may start at £28k when it reaches the UK Which unfortunatly is way too much. I'd pay that for a top spec TRD version, but no way for a base model.

The BMW 1 Series Coupe starts at £21k and i could get the 125i M Sport for £27k which has more power and has a 0-60 of only 6.4secs. No way would anyone pay £28k for a smaller, slower and less equipped Toyota.

I talked about this in great length with a very nice guy from the Japanese advertising team (yes, the real one this time lol) and he too has concerns over the price. Which is unfortunate as the strength of the Yen is outside of Toyota's control and i would hate to see this car flop because of the currency.

But i am very much looking forward to the release of the car now and also my first drive! From the inside the feel of the paddles on the auto trans was very very nice, so im looking forward to driving both the auto and the manual. I think its only fair to give both boxes a go before handing over your money
Leeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #374
jimmillion
Power Ranger Elite

Drives: '13 WRB Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Glad to hear that you made it back safe and sound. What a crazy week this must have been haha. Thanks for everything Leeky, you'll go down in the forums history books for everything you've done for us.

jimmillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 AM   #375
PuGZoR
Long time obsessor

Drives: AE86 & depressing SUV
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Good to hear you had a good time over there mate! Thanks for keeping us all updated again, can't say that enough, haha.

Fingers crossed that they hit reasonable price points all over the world. Like you Leeky, as much as I really want this car, I couldn't live with myself if it came too close some of the competition. Over here in AU we're worried that it'll hit 40k, making it within striking distance of the WRX and a whole lot of other cars with more power, that aren't such a bad car to drive overall either.
PuGZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #376
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Here's hoping you guys in the UK catch a break with the pricing.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #377
keiri
Toyobaru Wonder Twins™

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ PP
Garage
Glad to hear you're home safely Leeky; I'm sure your GT4 missed you.

Thanks again for all of the information and sharing your vacation with us when you didn't have to.

Cheers!
keiri is offline   Reply With Quote