follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2018, 02:42 AM   #477
oppiee

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Red)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
So just installed ohlins v2. With adjustments to everything recommended in the manual, my rears sit a little higher , about 1 cm than the front. Normal?
oppiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 04:35 AM   #478
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
ajc209: IF range big enough to cater. And then there are bits that spring rates are halved (which makes it less believable) and then even they themselves say that better not use springs firmer then by 35% without revalving.
Imho simpler to label off this kit permanently as "Road" only, or for tracking only on limited grip tires, and if anything from non-discontinued Ohlins offering is worth considering for track use on sticky tires, r compounds, then maybe only their japanese BTO set of 88.2N/mm 9kgf/mm - 68.6N/mm 7kgf/mm rates. IIRC they are still being sold on their online auction sites .. no clue on possible shipping/import/warranty issues though, if going this way.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:25 AM   #479
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
@Scracho Why don't you check the Sachs performance coilovers that have Front 38.50N/mm and Rear 42.50N/mm? These rates are more appropriate for track comparing to the front biased rates of Ohlins. Going much more stiffer it'll ruin the dual characteristic of your car being road and track friendly.

PS: I've seen your track video trying to outrun a Cayman GT4. You would not have a better chance with a Pilot Sport 4 tire, when the GT4 has a Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire. Your first priority should be to change the tires to a better compound. The latest Advan A052 tires from Yokohama are quite capable and with even more friendly road manner than the Cup 2. Sachs coilovers are enough to handle these tires in stock size, if you don't mind some body roll ...
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Scracho (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 06:48 AM   #480
ajc209

Drives: GT86 Cosworth
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quick Google will show shock dyno for the mi20 with a 250-300% change in low speed damping from -20 clicks to 0 clicks.

On stock 60N it feels to damped to me at -5clicks. I go faster on smooth tracks at -8clicks. On bumpy track I use -12 which is my fast road. These are front setting, I tend to get a couple clicks more at the back as they get softer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
ajc209 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ajc209 For This Useful Post:
Scracho (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #481
Scracho

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
@Scracho Why don't you check the Sachs performance coilovers that have Front 38.50N/mm and Rear 42.50N/mm? These rates are more appropriate for track comparing to the front biased rates of Ohlins. Going much more stiffer it'll ruin the dual characteristic of your car being road and track friendly.

PS: I've seen your track video trying to outrun a Cayman GT4. You would not have a better chance with a Pilot Sport 4 tire, when the GT4 has a Pilot Sport Cup 2 tire. Your first priority should be to change the tires to a better compound. The latest Advan A052 tires from Yokohama are quite capable and with even more friendly road manner than the Cup 2. Sachs coilovers are enough to handle these tires in stock size, if you don't mind some body roll ...
I've looked into so many different setups and to be fair the reason I opted for the Ohlins was because they were a very good deal and I knew they might be too soft for the track, they would be good all round setup. Going to a full on "track" coilover seems pointless until you make that commitment that the car is a track car but until I gut it, cage it and stop driving it on the street I want a dual purpose setup.

LOL! That GT4 was playing nice with me and to be fair my tire pressures might have been too high on a cold day. The track wasn't holding any temperature either with the wind that day. I haven't decided on tire just yet, but it will be a sub 200 UTQG rating.

I'm going to throw dice in the wind here and try my luck with higher spring rates... Stay tuned!
nikitopo (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 07:48 AM   #482
ajc209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scracho View Post
I've looked into so many different setups and to be fair the reason I opted for the Ohlins was because they were a very good deal and I knew they might be too soft for the track, they would be good all round setup. Going to a full on "track" coilover seems pointless until you make that commitment that the car is a track car but until I gut it, cage it and stop driving it on the street I want a dual purpose setup.

LOL! That GT4 was playing nice with me and to be fair my tire pressures might have been too high on a cold day. The track wasn't holding any temperature either with the wind that day. I haven't decided on tire just yet, but it will be a sub 200 UTQG rating.

I'm going to throw dice in the wind here and try my luck with higher spring rates... Stay tuned!
I'm on AD08Rs and love them. Not quite as good as Cup2s in the dry but a lot cheaper and not terrible in the wet.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ajc209 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #483
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oppiee View Post
So just installed ohlins v2. With adjustments to everything recommended in the manual, my rears sit a little higher , about 1 cm than the front. Normal?
It depends on where you are measuring. If it's along the bottom of the car near the jack points I think you're good, the car has about that much rake (rear higher than the front) from the factory.

I don't remember what the fender heights are off the top of my head, but I think lowering evenly is the way to go.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #484
oppiee

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Red)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks. I'll leave it as such. I followed the manual exactly. Looks pretty close lol

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
It depends on where you are measuring. If it's along the bottom of the car near the jack points I think you're good, the car has about that much rake (rear higher than the front) from the factory.

I don't remember what the fender heights are off the top of my head, but I think lowering evenly is the way to go.
oppiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:03 AM   #485
ajc209

Quote:

I've found some suspension company 'support' are less technical support and more salesmen instructed to close tickets as fast as possible, at least in the US, not attacking the validity of your source, I hope he's right for the buyers of the mp20.
Just to be clear on this, it wast from support. It came from fairly high up at the Ohlins test center in Germany where the original MI20 was developed. The story about one of their test drivers not liking the setup may be true as they changed the spring rates for the MP20 based on feedback they'd received about them being too stiff.

1.9Hz natural frequency is generally considered quite high for a road car after all...

Last time I spoke to the person in question they were looking to releasing a kit with just top mounts allowing the user to pick spring rates within a certain range, but he did confirm they set the damping on the MI20 with room on both sides to allow significantly stiffer or softer springs without too much trouble.

RCE quite liked thed the MI20 on 8kg springs and standard valving and I believe they still ran them at 6-8 clicks for track...i.e. not full stiff....

There's the info anyway, people can ignore it if they want.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #486
Scracho

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc209 View Post
Just to be clear on this, it wast from support. It came from fairly high up at the Ohlins test center in Germany where the original MI20 was developed. The story about one of their test drivers not liking the setup may be true as they changed the spring rates for the MP20 based on feedback they'd received about them being too stiff.

1.9Hz natural frequency is generally considered quite high for a road car after all...

Last time I spoke to the person in question they were looking to releasing a kit with just top mounts allowing the user to pick spring rates within a certain range, but he did confirm they set the damping on the MI20 with room on both sides to allow significantly stiffer or softer springs without too much trouble.

RCE quite liked thed the MI20 on 8kg springs and standard valving and I believe they still ran them at 6-8 clicks for track...i.e. not full stiff....

I suppose there is only one way to find out... I'll keep you posted
ajc209 (04-23-2018), strat61caster (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #487
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc209 View Post

This sounds like a pretty similar situation to the SACHS coilovers I had, including the damping range to allow for stiffer springs (I was told a range up to 200lbs stiffer would be acceptable). Unfortunately I didn't have the time/money to ever test it out, and they got sold to someone who used them as more of an OEM+/road car performance suspension setup.

It's interesting how three of the largest, and most respected, Euro* performance suspension companies (Ohlins, KW, Bilstein, and SACHS) all ended up with similar spring rates on their road and track style coilovers for the application.

Last edited by Shark_Bait88; 04-23-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Shark_Bait88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shark_Bait88 For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #488
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
It's interesting how three of the largest, and most respected, German performance suspension companies (Ohlins, KW, and SACHS) all ended up with similar spring rates on their road and track style coilovers for the application.
What?

Sachs, KW & Bilstein ship a stiffer rear spring than front. Ohlins has always had a softer effective rear than front even on the mi20 kit, and they're swedish.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
wparsons (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #489
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait88 View Post
It's interesting how three of the largest, and most respected, German performance suspension companies (Ohlins, KW, and SACHS) all ended up with similar spring rates on their road and track style coilovers for the application.
Ohlins is Swedish
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:49 AM   #490
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
What?

Sachs, KW & Bilstein ship a stiffer rear spring than front. Ohlins has always had a softer effective rear than front even on the mi20 kit, and they're swedish.
My point being of going to significantly softer rates, not necessarily the relation of front to rear rates. And I mistakenly used German when I really meant Euro, basically just in contrast to the various Asian suspension companies, or US rebox/custom adaptation setups, which seem to keep stiffer setups overall.
nikitopo (04-23-2018), strat61caster (04-23-2018)