follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Ozzman

Drives: old
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Check the carriage bolts under the steering wheel.
which bolts exactly?
Ozzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #16
73TORANA!

Drives: Orange GTS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzman View Post
which bolts exactly?
I recon he means the ones under the dash holding the electronic power steer unit and the steer column to the frame work.
73TORANA! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
73TORANA!

Hi all i am having no luck with Toyota on this issue.
I urge all those that would like a solution to this to go to their dealer and lodge a DPR, dealer product report, that's what is is called in AUS, AND ASK FOR proof that it has been sent in.

I have been told that Toyota will only act if they get sufficient complaints, so as they say the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #18
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73TORANA! View Post
Hi all i am having no luck with Toyota on this issue.
I urge all those that would like a solution to this to go to their dealer and lodge a DPR, dealer product report, that's what is is called in AUS, AND ASK FOR proof that it has been sent in.

I have been told that Toyota will only act if they get sufficient complaints, so as they say the squeaky wheel gets the oil.
I had a mazda 6 with steering clunk and yes I greased the collapsible steering column splines and "fixed" they had a service bulletin out on it.

My 2012 corolla emits a metalic click/clunk over cat eyes at 60kmH traced it to brake pads shifting in calipers and/or caliper slide freeplay, you can test for this by very lightly applying brakes over the rough road/cat eye that caused clunk if clunk goes it likely pads shifting or caliper slide freeplay, is also dependent of Tyre pressure ie more noticeable at higher pressures.

no my BRZ doesn't do either

PS I owned a 73 LJ 350 holly redline intake manifold yellaterra head (bathurst from memory) 25/65 cam 100hp NOS kit (was pretty new back then) 5 speed toyota box. Back when you had to use spanners to get more HP not a laptop :-)

Last edited by steve99; 07-26-2014 at 04:01 PM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
73TORANA! (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 04:36 AM   #19
73TORANA!

PS I owned a 73 LJ 350 holly redline intake manifold yellaterra head (bathurst from memory) 25/65 cam 100hp NOS kit (was pretty new back then) 5 speed toyota box. Back when you had to use spanners to get more HP not a laptop :-)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Steve, I have heard of other types or cars having similar issue's,
theres a you tube clip of a good o'l boy in the US useing a siring to apply some lube to the splines but im not gunna try it while under warranty, dont want to give them any excuse. Your feed back is appreciated, thanks again and here's hoping ya BRZ stays clunk free, !!!!. Did the mazda stay clunk free and what lube did you use ?
I bet you wish your BRZ had the same go as ya Torri, I do, mine's a 73 GTR all factory apart for the engine that is 73 XU1 spec and a speed way head. yum!! HA but it doesn't turn like the 86.

Cheers, Geoff: Old skool
The Following User Says Thank You to 73TORANA! For This Useful Post:
steve99 (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:32 AM   #20
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73TORANA! View Post
PS I owned a 73 LJ 350 holly redline intake manifold yellaterra head (bathurst from memory) 25/65 cam 100hp NOS kit (was pretty new back then) 5 speed toyota box. Back when you had to use spanners to get more HP not a laptop :-)
Thanks Steve, I have heard of other types or cars having similar issue's,
theres a you tube clip of a good o'l boy in the US useing a siring to apply some lube to the splines but im not gunna try it while under warranty, dont want to give them any excuse. Your feed back is appreciated, thanks again and here's hoping ya BRZ stays clunk free, !!!!. Did the mazda stay clunk free and what lube did you use ?
I bet you wish your BRZ had the same go as ya Torri, I do, mine's a 73 GTR all factory apart for the engine that is 73 XU1 spec and a speed way head. yum!! HA but it doesn't turn like the 86.

Yes mazda stayed clunk free. Used high temp bearing grease thicker the better. It was only one bolt at base of column inside car then you could slide colapsable part in/out. Just mark both parts so you get it back on same spline. Slid it out as far as it would go worked some grease into splines and bolted it back up about 10 minutes.

The old torana went alright but used more fuel than a 747 with tripple side draft 45 Webber carbs and was a bitch to balance. Probably not that impressive these days but at 1100 kg they were pretty light. Didn,t handle to bad with after market springs koni shocks and thicker front nad rear bars but was pretty oversteery especialy in the wet. No traction or stability nanies back then

Cheers, Geoff: Old skool [/QUOTE]
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
73TORANA! (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 06:16 AM   #21
73TORANA!

Thanks Steve,
I think ill give it a shot on the 2009 Corolla after i confirm your brake suggestion.
Doesnt sound to hard. The torri sounds like fun !

Cheers, Geoff.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #22
WesleyG

Drives: 2014 Satin White Pearl GTS auto
Garage
It's normal, I have the same problem in my car straight from the dealer, also happens in my MR. It's only really noticeable on our rough paved driveway.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #23
73TORANA!

Hi Wesley, Yep that the same symptom. Unfortunately Toyota may say its normal but that dosen't make it right in my opinion as mine only started doing it after 3km's so i said to Toyota if its normal why has it taken 3km's, so does that mean its been abnormal for 3km's he he, that got the a bit lost for words and Steve's doesn't do it. I feel the quality in modern components is not good enough as its clearly an economic issue. I have never heard of this problem being normal in 70's, 80's or 90's produced cars unless they had racked up 100k + kms.
Any way any one that feel the same is I do please keep the pressure on Toyota / Subaru and they may issue a service bulletin for us.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:30 AM   #24
73TORANA!

Hi all, Ive done a lot of research over the weekend and today and come up with some interesting results. I was able to simulate the exact same noise that we have grown to hate in both cars sitting in the drive way but not to the same extent as driving over rough roads so i am 90% convinced its not in the suspension, rack or intermediate shaft but in the power steer unit.
The Electronic power steer unit or EPS is made by JTEKT a sub company of Toyota I believe. JTEK make all sorts of automotive stuff including the Torsen LSD in the 86/BRZ. The column P.Steer or C-EPS has / is used by countless brands and models including Toyota Corolla so i had a look at the 86 and my 2009 Corolla and they are 99 % identical, DAM. On the JTEKT web site i stumbled across some engineering publications and in these I found that they have been chasing an issue that they call rattle and back lash of the worm drive gear in the C-EPS, one artical also mentions inverse input, I.E input forces from the wheels over rough roads ( bumps)to the C-EPS and how the C-EPS dampened's these inputs via electronic inputs so the driver does not feel these input forces from the road at the steer wheel and that this dampening may increase rattle backlash over rough roads. They also mention in depth how they have tried to reduce this "rattle" and development is on going. So it seems that any car that uses this type of C-EPS has the potential to make this noise over rough roads. I have added a link if anyone would like some light reading, I will be seeing Toyota tomorrow armed with this info.
Click on the link http://eb-cat.ds-navi.co.jp/enu/jtekt/tech/ej/index.htm scroll down to the blue journal, No.1009E 2012 Automotive Technology Special Edition, click the drop down list and scroll to TECHNICAL REPORTS then the 4th line down click on Development of rattle noise analysis...... there's also and artical the 2006 journal.

So it seems if we want this fixed we will all have to make a noise !!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 73TORANA! For This Useful Post:
fistpoint (08-23-2014), Gords_zenith (11-20-2014)
Old 11-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #25
Wilcats

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Any latest update on this issue? My local dealer still says its normal...
Old 11-13-2014, 11:04 PM   #26
73TORANA!

Sorry none yet from Australia. All I can suggest is that we all complain to Toyota and request they lodge a complaint with Toyota Japan, If we all get on board they will have to do something. Spread the work and good luck. I have made a lot of noise here in Australia to the point where Toyota have blocked me on F.book and refuse to acknowledge my requests for a fix and Japan won’t reply to my Emails even to Tetsuya him self. Unfortunately every 86 that I have driven, 5, have all had this noise and I am convinced it is in the power steer unit; the dealer tech agreed but would not comment any further or put it in writing.
Im gunna keep trying to get answers and a fix.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #27
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Did you write a letter & sent it the ol' fashioned way ?

This is all Subarus fault for engineering & making sh1t like they're accustomed to :/
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:05 AM   #28
73TORANA!

Nah sent it via emails and on the Toyota face book page and I have now been blocked from there page, mind you i was polite and non abusive, they did reply but did not want to enter into any further discussion saying my case is closed as its a characteristic. Toyota request you use electronic media to contact them, easy to delete i guess. I have also lodge a case with the ACCC, waiting on response. I have written to Wheels magazine, Toyota Japan and there general manager, Tetsyuya Tada, Toyota global, to JTEKT, the power steer manufactures and to Paul Gover a motor journalist. No reply from anyone as yet. I have a few more to try but its a really disappointing but I'm not surprised and im not gunna give up. Might have to try paper mail.