follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2016, 12:21 AM   #43
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I remember using Cyanogenmod with the Nexus One back in the day. Overtime stock Android integrated a lot of its cool features.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #44
ap5512

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
Guessing you'd be using Bluetooth headphones since that iPhone 7 doesn't have a headphone jack
Agreed...I'm not a huge fan of that drastic change. I'm all for simpler design but needing an adapter to make headphones work is not exactly moving in the right direction. If anything, you've just made it more complicated..wonder if Steve Jobs is rolling over...
Old 10-24-2016, 02:28 PM   #45
Bowen
Powered by Crickets

Drives: 14' SWP MT Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap5512 View Post
Agreed...I'm not a huge fan of that drastic change. I'm all for simpler design but needing an adapter to make headphones work is not exactly moving in the right direction. If anything, you've just made it more complicated..wonder if Steve Jobs is rolling over...
Yea everyone is pretty upset about it, but honestly, Apple is a trend setter. They were one of the first companies to get rid of the CD Drive in a computer. Everyone complained about it when they first dropped it, but take a look now. It's super common to buy a laptop without a CD drive, I'm sure they do it to lower the size as well as utilize the space for other features.

Now one can make the argument that people use the 3.5mm jack more than they use a CD tray, however there are still alternatives for audio. Apple did release an adapter that can be used, and also Bluetooth devices are stepping up in audio quality.

I think there will be growing pains as more phone companies drop the headphone jack, but who knows, the headphone jack may become the next niche feature much like removable batteries and SD card storage.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #46
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
Yea everyone is pretty upset about it, but honestly, Apple is a trend setter. They were one of the first companies to get rid of the CD Drive in a computer. Everyone complained about it when they first dropped it, but take a look now. It's super common to buy a laptop without a CD drive, I'm sure they do it to lower the size as well as utilize the space for other features.

Now one can make the argument that people use the 3.5mm jack more than they use a CD tray, however there are still alternatives for audio. Apple did release an adapter that can be used, and also Bluetooth devices are stepping up in audio quality.

I think there will be growing pains as more phone companies drop the headphone jack, but who knows, the headphone jack may become the next niche feature much like removable batteries and SD card storage.
I think they got rid of the headphone jack simply because Sony just created a new 4.4mm standard jack for balanced output. They probably either hasn't figured out how to adapt it or they just don't want to look bad using somebody else's innovation. Going wireless is the perfect excuse to wait a year or two so people would forget who invented it (remember the chicklet keyboard from Sony Vaio X505).

Wireless audio is only good if the codec has enough bandwidth for at least lossless audio. This is again something Sony have had for the last year.

Getting rid of the optical drive was a cost saving exercise imo. Anyone remember the ThinkPad X300/301?

The new Macbook Pro coming out on Thursday is going to look like an X1 Carbon with that OLED strip on the keyboard, and finally a fingerprint reader like welcome to 2004 but I digress lol!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Bowen (10-24-2016), finch1750 (12-24-2016), strat61caster (10-24-2016)
Old 10-24-2016, 06:42 PM   #47
Flashfire88

Drives: Limited Silver
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Pixel XL, arrived the 20th and upgraded from a 6P
Old 10-25-2016, 06:06 AM   #48
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashfire88 View Post
Pixel XL, arrived the 20th and upgraded from a 6P
I was forced to upgrade to a 6P earlier this year because my Sony finally died, wondering how the Pixel is as I'm trying to get out of this contract

on another note had anyone heard of a new Sony Z coming out? not really feeling these X line of handsets that are out at the moment
Old 10-25-2016, 02:46 PM   #49
Flashfire88

Drives: Limited Silver
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calais View Post
I was forced to upgrade to a 6P earlier this year because my Sony finally died, wondering how the Pixel is as I'm trying to get out of this contract

on another note had anyone heard of a new Sony Z coming out? not really feeling these X line of handsets that are out at the moment

The phone is great minus one issue i'm having which isn't a big one but besides having the google assistant and a slightly better camera than the 6p its not much of a difference unless you start counting all the small changes like newer bluetooth support etc

I only got the pixel xl because 5.5 is my perfect size to hold, 5.7's tend to start being a pain if im going to one hand text or check something briefly when i'm driving
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashfire88 For This Useful Post:
Calais (12-13-2016)
Old 10-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #50
Bowen