follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 02-01-2016, 09:14 PM   #715
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoJDM View Post
FWIW I have about 10,000 miles on my setup so far and it still hits 11psi at redline just like the day I got it. And she's been through a trip to the Dragon, Autox, and HPDE in the time it's been on as well as daily thrashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be happy just to make it to the store and back... I have no intentions to seriously track the car or beat on it in anyway, not like I can right now anyway! lol

I'm glad some have had no issues, gives me hope we can figure out mine!
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:13 PM   #716
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Has anyone put together a 'just in case' list? Small odds and ends that you should/might need to change while everything is apart? ie, if you're higher mileage maybe injector o-rings, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, etc.
Basically anything that might leave the car in pieces while you wait for delivery of a $.30 part?
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:21 PM   #717
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,178 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Has anyone put together a 'just in case' list? Small odds and ends that you should/might need to change while everything is apart? ie, if you're higher mileage maybe injector o-rings, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, etc.
Basically anything that might leave the car in pieces while you wait for delivery of a $.30 part?
Injector o-rings (the bottom ones the squish, not the top that hold it in the rail), and intake manifold gaskets are the only items.

If you're getting aftermarket injectors to use with your kit, they will include all of the o-rings, and every intake manifold gasket I've seen has been in good condition so far, but I haven't seen many cars with more than 50k miles on them.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Uplink (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #718
toast

Drives: 14 BSP Edelbrock BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
Thanks for the tip. I've logged tons and tons and sent to Edelbrock and looked myself. All the values look correct/reasonable. I seem to be having issues at about < 3500 RPM and around 2psi of boost/load. I thought we had it fixed after the fourth tune, it drove great the first time, but the second drive it was just as bad as ever. Didn't have any issues prior to install. still searching..... car is not really daily drivable until I get it solved unfortunately. Interestingly enough, another person in my region has the same exact issue, he tried a Delicious tune and the problem persisted. We're beginning to wonder if it's something wrong with something in some of the kits... There is not clear evidence of anything really yet.. except that it's running crazy rich at the problem area and we can't seem to stop it from happening.
did you use the bolts that come with the kit for the maf? Someone said they were too long and bottomed before you get a good seal.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #719
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Injector o-rings (the bottom ones the squish, not the top that hold it in the rail), and intake manifold gaskets are the only items.

If you're getting aftermarket injectors to use with your kit, they will include all of the o-rings, and every intake manifold gasket I've seen has been in good condition so far, but I haven't seen many cars with more than 50k miles on them.
Thanks Mike. Coming from old school Chevys, I'm used to all that stuff being single use.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Uplink For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #720
86fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by toast View Post
did you use the bolts that come with the kit for the maf? Someone said they were too long and bottomed before you get a good seal.

The provided bolts are M4x10mm, at least on the MAF housing that was included in my kit, the bolts bottomed out 4mm too soon, they would not go far enough into the MAF housing before even get close to the MAF mounting plate surface. They are too small to cut down successfully. I found some M4x6mm bolts at a well equipped hardware store. At least one other person confirmed they had to find a solution to this problem using washers/etc...
Old 02-02-2016, 07:39 PM   #721
86fun

I shot some GoPro video of startup and idle with a walk around and poke into all the components of the kit.

I did notice there was no initial startup rumbling sound this time. It also just happens to be behaving for the past few drives randomly... possibly they are realated?? If not, I'm thinking it might have been the clutch release bearing or tranny output shaft making the noise. It just started happening after the install so I thought it was the SC, I'll have to see if it comes back to comment more on that. Closer to the end when I put the camera near the top of the manifold you can hear the grinding kind of noise it makes, but listening to others that is probably normal/typical.

Let me know if you see anything out of place. I doubt it, since I've checked it over so many times...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z_gRxz-4wo"]FR-S Edelbrock Install startup and walkaround - YouTube[/ame]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (02-05-2016), hmong337 (02-02-2016), Paulo86 (02-03-2016), Sargy (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #722
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

Agreed^

My car was sitting over 60k when I did my install. All gaskets were in great shape. The injector seals were a little dirty, but they cleaned up fine. So I ended up not replacing any, but I could see how these could be the little ones that would cause a hang up.
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
Uplink (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #723
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
The provided bolts are M4x10mm, at least on the MAF housing that was included in my kit, the bolts bottomed out 4mm too soon, they would not go far enough into the MAF housing before even get close to the MAF mounting plate surface. They are too small to cut down successfully. I found some M4x6mm bolts at a well equipped hardware store. At least one other person confirmed they had to find a solution to this problem using washers/etc...
Interesting, I did not have this issue, and was an early adopter to the kit. I will check mine out and see what length was supplied with mine.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:40 PM   #724
86fun

Can someone post a screen shot of their ECUTek page which has the Map Access button? I'm thinking I'm missing a bunch of tabs from mine, but I'd like to compare with someone who is using this kit. Mine is attached.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 02:12 PM   #725
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
Can someone post a screen shot of their ECUTek page which has the Map Access button? I'm thinking I'm missing a bunch of tabs from mine, but I'd like to compare with someone who is using this kit. Mine is attached.
Looks right to me. What features were you looking for that you don't see?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #726
86fun

Quote:
Looks right to me. What features were you looking for that you don't see?

I was checking with ECUTek about my strange disconnects and they asked for a few versions/values, but cannot find them.

Attached is their screen shot, which I cannot find on my software.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to 86fun For This Useful Post:
NotSoJDM (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #727
NotSoJDM

Garage
Quote:
I was checking with ECUTek about my strange disconnects and they asked for a few versions/values, but cannot find them.

Attached is their screen shot, which I cannot find on my software.
You are not seeing some of those tabs because they are locked from viewing/editing by Edelbrock in the CARB tune. Maybe Edelbrock support can give you that info. I haven't looked through ECUtek enough to know for sure if there is anywhere else you could find it.
The Following User Says Thank You to NotSoJDM For This Useful Post:
86fun (02-04-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #728
86fun

Quote:
You are not seeing some of those tabs because they are locked from viewing/editing by Edelbrock in the CARB tune. Maybe Edelbrock support can give you that info. I haven't looked through ECUtek enough to know for sure if there is anywhere else you could find it.

Yes, this must be so, Edelbrock was able to send me the version info I needed and am unable to view myself.