follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #43
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
The mono flex will feel less stiff than the flex because the mono flex has far far superior dampening. I've had both on my civ.
provided that they follow the trend from previous cars. a lot of the time monotubes can have rougher ride because of the way they have to be valved but i think tein has some microvalve gimmick that counter acts that
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #44
TouchMyHonda
Vtec Jesus

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Golf R, 15 Audi S4
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Maybe older monotubes... Mono tubes and react faster and have a better ride quality than a twin tube.
TouchMyHonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #45
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
Maybe older monotubes... Mono tubes and react faster and have a better ride quality than a twin tube.
i think that ride quality is more a function of using monotube on higher quality applications because they have certain inherent advantages like staying cooler and being less prone to hysteresis. i understand they react faster simply because of lower piston speeds. with those lower piston speeds though the accuracy of the valving is reduced and thats why you see components with surgical precision
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
Matt Andrews (07-22-2012)
Old 07-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #46
imravenit
give us this day

Drives: AE86 - FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
but there should be an aftermarket camber plates that can work with the kw v3's right?
Old 07-22-2012, 08:02 PM   #47
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Yes, basically anything for a GD (02-07) Impreza. Racecomp Engineering/GTWorx, Turn in Concepts, Ground Control, and Vorshlag all have great options.
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #48
Sam Strano

Drives: 2013 FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imravenit View Post
but there should be an aftermarket camber plates that can work with the kw v3's right?
I am using and usually recommending the Whiteline offset mounts for mostly street cars... Nice and quiet, you get more camber and caster. And if you go with KW's you still have camber adjustment on the strut (remembering that you are already gaining over -1 from the mounts to start with).
Sam Strano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #49
FA5

Drives: 2008 CIVIC SI, 2013 BRZ, 2013 M5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
I think I've been active, and considering I quite literally work alone, that's not easy to do in the midst of everything else I do in the course of a day. I have no staff to field phone calls, or sell lots of volume to get big quantity discounts, etc. So, I can't work in the same way as some others do.

As for knowledge, I've got it, and have results to prove I know how to setup cars. In fact I can say with 100% certainty that I probably have more knowledge on RWD, limited slip equipped cars than most anyone you'll find on these sites. My current "other car" is a C6 Z06, which is sort of RWD and high powered. In fact I've always had and preferred RWD cars with some punch, ranging from a 280ZXTurbo that wasn't stock to a '91 1LE Camaro to my 2001 Camaro, to my 2007 Mustang GT, to my 2011 5.0 Mustang... add my old 325is BMW too that list as well. And that's just the stuff I had before the FR-S.

Now you seem to be working under the misconception that I'm not willing to talk. Not true. But until you walk a mile in my shoes and get used for information that others don't have and can't have given that they don't do what I do in terms of autocross with proven results, it's not really possible for me to just tell the world "do this". And fwiw, there is another reason.... NOT EVERYONE WILL HAVE THE SAME WANTS AND NEEDS. And I work on a more individual basis, and I've noticed that very often when I say something on the web, it somehow becomes the only thing I ever think and apparently I'll set everyone up the same way. That's pretty pathetic, but it happens. It's on the web that you said X, Sam... Well, ok I might well have and that recommendation was made for Billy Joe Smith for *his* needs, that's not what I'd do for Johnnie Bob Jones necessarily....

If you don't want to give me a chance, that's fine. But I think it's a bit unfair. And fwiw, I have access to Perrin, and Whiteline, and Ohlins, and any number of other part lines that are popular in the Subaru world. There isn't much on the site yet because I'm just moving into to these (because I have freaking have one being a big reason). While you might find me most closely associated with pony-cars and Corvettes, I do lots of things. I sold a set of Ohlins to a customer with an RX8, I've sold them for STi's, and Evo's. I did a set of shocks for a customer of mine for his Suburban today. I'm not one trick pony. And I just did a deal with Nameless Performance to carry their stuff, something I never had reason to do before.

As I stated before. I know I'm not for everyone, I frankly don't want to be. I am too damned busy for my own mental health now. I'm a car guy. I own one of these, I have for a month now. I'm developing swaybars for it already, which isn't easy being the epitome of a *small business*. I can only do what I do, the way I know to do it. If you want honest advice, I'm good at it. I'm blunt (which also upsets some folks because I don't sugar coat things very much), and I want to know what you are trying to do or change about the car before recommending parts so I feel comfortable with the recommendation I'm making.

There are absolutely other companies out there, many good, some crappy... And a lot of us sell similar or even the same parts. The difference is in what the person knows, and how they know it, and what they do with it.
From what I read that I understand you are very fair and understanding man for business. Every business should be protect their recipes just like the chief at the kitchen. People can ask for help but not taking someone else hard work for nothing. I have been in different business but the people are the same. You will lost a sales by someone else sell the same product by penny less. The buyer will try to steal you knowledge for nothing after/before they buy from someone else. And they think they are the smartest people on the planet. At the end is they have the toys but no knowledge with it and paying big dollar for someone who have knowledge for setup. So, who is the smart one?

I respect you.

Cheese
FA5 is offline   Reply With Quote