follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2015, 12:58 AM   #15
myioz86

Drives: gt-86 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have been using torco race fuel accselarent for 8months now no prob 125ml for 18 lt of 98 fuel brings it up to 100 octane, car runs smoother and quiter . works out about $5.00 extra for each 18lt. mx store online sells it for $35.00 for 900ml. 2 cans free delivery.

regards john
myioz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:46 AM   #16
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
What about this stuff? Any good?
http://race-gas.com
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #17
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retoocs View Post
Not BS. OP is in California. Racing fuel is illegal to use for a street vehicle being operated on the streets. If you pull up to a station with race fuel, they will not let you put it into your registered street vehicle. There are some high octane fuel that meets CARB requirements and is street legal, but this stuff isn't as good since it has all the other crap added.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/enf/advs/advs397.pdf
You should read the linked document. Unleaded race gas is legal for all motor vehicles provided they meet the regulations for chemical content. If they don't it is only allowed for racing vehicles and steps must be taken to ensure it can't be sold for on-road use. The important difference is lead content and you won't want leaded gas in a newer car designed to run unleaded. Here is a quote you should pay attention to:

"Many refiners, blenders, and distributors of racing gasoline sell and supply a “street legal” high octane
unleaded gasoline blend that complies with the specifications for California RFG. This complying high octane
unleaded gasoline is readily available and is legal for use in all motor vehicles both on and off road. Retailers
may sell this high octane “racing” gasoline as complying California RFG."
Old 01-14-2015, 11:22 AM   #18
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
You should read the linked document. Unleaded race gas is legal for all motor vehicles provided they meet the regulations for chemical content. If they don't it is only allowed for racing vehicles and steps must be taken to ensure it can't be sold for on-road use. The important difference is lead content and you won't want leaded gas in a newer car designed to run unleaded. Here is a quote you should pay attention to:

"Many refiners, blenders, and distributors of racing gasoline sell and supply a “street legal” high octane
unleaded gasoline blend that complies with the specifications for California RFG. This complying high octane
unleaded gasoline is readily available and is legal for use in all motor vehicles both on and off road. Retailers
may sell this high octane “racing” gasoline as complying California RFG."

Most likely it's the lead content in"racing" fuels of higher than 104 octane. However, I don't have the exact blending requirements, so can't comment on this in general.

MY take is that the only reason manufactured sell unleaded race fuel is for use in street cars, or for competition classes that do not allow leaded fuels. Lead will foul your O2 sensor of ran for too long, and will destroy your cats. If catless, no problem running low leaded fuel every now and then. Just don'e breath the smoke...

There's a station in Pasadena that sells 76 100 octane. VP also sells GT104 which is unleaded.

However, your better off saving use of these expensive fuels for when you actually have a track event. Sure, you may be able to feel it on the street, but at the cost of increasing your fuel budget for 50% or more? is it really worth it? Xylene is not cheap either, but will work if you can't get access to commercial blended fuels. Keep in mind that you can't really store it that long though, since Xylene is very volatile. Basically you need to put it in your tank at the pump, then pump in gas to mix it all up.

Car will run fine on 91.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by myioz86 View Post
I have been using torco race fuel accselarent for 8months now no prob 125ml for 18 lt of 98 fuel brings it up to 100 octane, car runs smoother and quiter . works out about $5.00 extra for each 18lt. mx store online sells it for $35.00 for 900ml. 2 cans free delivery.

regards john
I'm curious why you treat only 18 litres instead of the whole tank full? Do you use the treated fuel for teach days only? Or do you use them for daily?
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 12:31 PM   #20
aznatama

Easier to calculate mix.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #21
myioz86

Drives: gt-86 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
yes that is correct i fill 18lt for the correct mix ratio or i do 36lt with 256ml brings it up 2 octane levels higher. i use half the recommended dose . instead of raising it 4 octane higher , i only go 2 octane higher. its all clearly marked on the cane..note this is not a addertive for fuel. it is a race fuel and can be run straight full strength with the right tunning ofcorse. hope that explanes it better.im not after more power with this product just to help stop knock with ausy crappy fuel.
myioz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #22
Sugi

Drives: 2015 FR-S - Halo
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Unless your vehicle is tuned to run a higher octane, there are no benefits using higher octane over the factory minimum standard.

This is a statement from the federal trade comm.
http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ctane-gasoline
Sugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #23
aznatama

Factory minimum is not the same as factory recommend. Knock sensors help ecu adjust settings to cope with different fuel.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #24
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
I also found testimonials that 93 did make a very noticeable difference over 91 in a BRZ. I think the issue here being that yes, you can safely run the car on 91..no you can't WOT every day on your way home..sometimes twice a day on 91.
This may be correct. Keep in mind that when a station sells 91 octane, that is the minimum rating that is guaranteed. It is possible that the 91 at a particular station is 92 or 93 octane, or it may vary. Having said that, it is also possible that the station selling 93 octane has 94 or 95 in the tank. So depending on the stations used, it could be like comparing 91 to 95. I personally use 93 octane BP. I think you should try several different quality stations, and pick the 91 octane gas that consistently makes your car run the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
What about this stuff? Any good?
http://race-gas.com
Yes. This will boost the octane of your gas more than any other product I know of. Most octane boosters will not boost the octane enough to even add one octane number; in other words, with other boosters you would have a hard time making 91 into 92. [Disclaimer, I know some of the people that started this Race Gas company.] I have tried it on the track and it really does work. Note that it is sold in metal cans because it would eat through plastic. I used a metal funnel to put it in my tank, so I thought that this would be fine. Wrong, the filter screen in the funnel was glued in, and this stuff dissolved the glue so the filter screen came loose. Still, I would use this again at the track. I think it would be safe for a daily driver, but not necessary.

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:48 PM   #25
Lunatic

Drives: 2015 Raven FRS
Thanked 1,056 Times in 488 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tire View Post

Yes. This will boost the octane of your gas more than any other product I know of. Most octane boosters will not boost the octane enough to even add one octane number; in other words, with other boosters you would have a hard time making 91 into 92. [Disclaimer, I know some of the people that started this Race Gas company.] I have tried it on the track and it really does work. Note that it is sold in metal cans because it would eat through plastic. I used a metal funnel to put it in my tank, so I thought that this would be fine. Wrong, the filter screen in the funnel was glued in, and this stuff dissolved the glue so the filter screen came loose. Still, I would use this again at the track. I think it would be safe for a daily driver, but not necessary.
Thanks for your answer. That's nice to know.
Lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #26
ShadowReaper
Indulgent Tormenter

Drives: 15' LTD Subaru BRZ DGM
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm also almost always below 5000 ft so that is good information to have.

What octane rating is the race gas you use? I did a little math and I figured out that if I put 3 gallons of 100 octane in, then 10.5 gallons of 91 the fuel would have a minimum rating of 93 flat. Also, do you know the composition of the race gas you use?
is this accurate? I'm looking to mix fuels as well. since here in Colorado there is no 93, but yesterday I was right over the EMPTY line and it only took me 10.5 gallons to fill up....

looks like it can be tricky with the gallons and different octanes, did you ever consider adding e15?

Instagram: 86_Maul
ShadowReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:12 PM   #27
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
In another thread I did find out that there are two places within a half hour to an hours drive that I can get 93-100..however that doesn't work well being that they are both in the wrong direction for my daily driving. Fortunately they are in a good location for two of my preferred twisties and reasonable location for one other. Leaving the remaining three high and dry.

I also found testimonials that 93 did make a very noticeable difference over 91 in a BRZ. I think the issue here being that yes, you can safely run the car on 91..no you can't WOT every day on your way home..sometimes twice a day on 91.

I'm really hoping to use something both less detrimental to the car and less detrimental to the environment..plus slightly more legal. Torco and Lucas Oil additives, first off aren't really octane boosters at all, they are anti-knock additives. They use MMT which builds up on your plugs, on your O2 sensors, and in your cat..although some have claimed this doesn't cause them any issues..are not street legal and were banned from gas for emissions.

Now, I obviously didn't buy this car to protect the environment, but what would be a good solution for the track..or for a racecar..isn't necessarily a good solution for a daily driver.

I do appreciate the input though, and having researched your opinions on this I now know a lot that I was completely ignorant to a couple of hours ago (basically I don't know how to use the thanks function for your posts)
93 in the bay area? Where can I find this? I might be interested if it's not too far out of my way.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 09:19 PM   #28
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Run what ya brung. Octane booster? Ffs....
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boost, california, octane, toluene, xylene