follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
jlu

Drives: Asphalt AT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My Install from Simplicity in Sound

Just got my beloved FR-S back from Bing and Joey at Simplicity in Sound, and they did an amazing job. I'd been wanting a high quality install for a while, and after hearing some of Bing and Joey's work at their retail location's grand opening, the wait to get my car done seemed to stretch on... and on... and on...

Finally though, it was my car's turn to go under the knife. I had a great experience planning out the install with Bing. He gave me a variety of options for all sorts of different budgets in an easy to understand fashion for a car audio neophyte like myself. After picking from a magical Christmasland of all sorts of goodies and toys, I dropped off my car and let Bing and Joey work their artistry.

Here's Bing's build log:

Quote:
As some of you may know, I am kinda partial to a certain style of design when it comes to car audio, where i stash all the gear under the floor of a vehicle, usually in the spare tire well, and then build a top layer that looks to be real but really is fake...its called uh...something...artificial floor? oh yes...fake floor!

For most installers though, fake floor really isnt the most common practice due to a wide variety of reasons; infact, for Joey, despite having twice as much experience as I do, have never really tacked a fake floor build.

So when this FR-S build came about that required such a design, and with a time constraint that had me working full out on the WRX build, we decided that Joey would take on this car as his first fake floor project, perhaps as an official initiation into the Simplicity in Sound doctrine hahaha.

but knowing his skill set, i had no doubt that whatever he came up with would be great, and would incorporate more advanced fabrication techniques than my builds.

only catch is that since he was responsible for taking pics, we may be skipping a few steps here and there. everything except the doors and wiring from the front to the back of the car is done by Joey.

So here goes.

Goals:

1. Achieve a high level of sound quality

2. keep interior modifications to a minimum and make it look clean and relatively stock

3. retain all trunk space and perform a classy install in the spare tire well

so lets get started..as our norm, joey custom fabricated a metal bracket to secure a stinger circuit breaker, it is welded together and bolted to OEM mounting points:

The signal starts with a pioneer 8500BHS double din DVD headunit, installed via the beatsonic dash kit, with the harness and wiring neatly organized:

because the car uses a mosconi 6to8 DSP processor, all tuning can be done from the front seat via a laptop:

Previous to this, all five of the FR-S builds have involved a two way set, for this car, we decided to step it up a notch and go with a 3 way design. To me, the oem tweeter location, far inboard with a tiny grille opening is definitely not the way to go, so we molded a pair of Illuson Audio Carbon tweeters into the A pillar, aimed about 15-20 degrees towards the opposite listener from full off axis, we wrapped the pillars in oem matching black vinyl:

We dont have too many pics of the build process, lol only to show that joey used the oem surface mounting cups to aim and use a baffle, and then molded them into the A pillars:

for the midrange, we chose to go with a set of Morel CDM880 dome mids, they are sealed back so no need for air space, and we can aim them a lil bit to help with windshield reflections a bit. So we fabricated these sturdy brackets that bolt to the oem holes and the morel mid, we also laid down foam at the bottom and the sides of the cavities so this bracket secures the mid and it wont move anywhere. here is the bracket and after its attached to the Morel mid:

here is how the mids look when finally bolted to the vehicle:

for the midbass, we went with a set of Morel Hybrid MW6 6.5" drivers.

First the outter door skin was sound proofed with STP gold damper and Focal blackhole foam, and new speaker wires run into the door:

then the outter door skin was treated with a layer of focal BAM xxxl composite damper:

Joey fabricated some 1/2 spacer baffles out of MDF and coated them with truck bedliner to protect them against the elements:

these were then bolted to the door via oem hardware:

and finally the Morel midbass went in:

I then took off the door grille panel and sound proofed it before attaching it back onto the door card:

the same process was repeated on the passenger side:

here comes some pics of the wiring bundle as i ran them front to back, on the driver side went all the rcas and left side speakers, while the power cable went down the passenger side with the corresponding speaker wires. everything is ziptied and secured to the car every few inches:

so thats it for the interior...moving to the trunk. so again, the goal was for a totally stealth fake floor design

so here is the normal view with the stock trunk mat in place, 100 percent OEM:

lift off the cargo mat and you see the new fake floor with a center cutout:

lift that off and here is what you see, and where joey really went above and beyond the customers expectations and did a pretty cool and intricate design. three arc KS mini amp go upfront, a KS125.4 powers the mid and tweeters with 75 watts a piece, a 125.2 powers the sub with 250 watts, and another 125.4 is bridged on the midbass.

a single audiomobile elite 2208 8" sub resides in a .5 cubic foot sealed enclosure. This is actually a three layered design, with the amps and sub trimmed in red vinyl, a further trim piece in black vinyl, and then the carpeted top floor.

We took the arc audio logos off the amps to achieve a cleaner look, and molded one of them back in place on the trim panel infront of the amps to add that little extra to the build. I will let the pics do the talking now

now onto some builds pics, and i will try my best to explain it as Joey's build process is a bit different than mine

first, here is the custom bracket that he built that houses the mosconi 6to8 DSP in place of the oem amplifier in the trunk. We did a special polish job on the processor to see what it would look like in bare brushed aluminum...ideas for a future build perhaps

for the trunk, first he laid down sound some proofing on the floor:

then the first portion of the subbox was made using a combination of mdf and fiberglass:

then the top portion was attached:

and the top trim panel was fabricated:

here is joey aiming the little arc logo holder, but he uh, forgot to take the picture of the molding process lol:

He then coated the entire thing in black paint, and secured it to the car using the oem spare tire well bolting point:

here is a pic of the top floor panel being constructed:

next came the wiring of the components, which was done in stages, with the grounding point bolted with nut near the front of the trunk:

how this whole thing comes together is in two separate portions what you see here is all secured together, the red trim panel, the black trim piece and the right side portion of the fake floor, this is secured into the car via the sub mounting screws and hidden screws under the arc logo plate:

while the other section of the floor is a removable snap on piece using plastic snaps mounted to the bottom of the floor panel with corresponding holes drilled into the wood below:

the box is stuffed with Focal blackhole stuff, and wires lead out:

and finally, a pic of the breathable grille cover piece that protects it all:

so...thats it...compared to all the other FR-S builds, this car has a lot more presence on top of the dash, typical of 3 way front stage. the entire stage is very realistically placed on top of the dash. center image is well centered and quite high, about 4-5 inches higher than the two ways, width improved as well and depths is acutally just as good as before.

the morel/illusion audio combo proved to be a good choice, with nicely airy detailed highs, detailed midrange and very impressive midbass impact. the newly redesigned morel drivers definitely have some impact and extension.

the single 8" audiomobile is a known quality, and in this aiming angle it actually sounsd even more impressive. with nice impact, great transients and pretty good low freq extension. will it be confused with its bigger 10 and 12" brother? no, but a few guys who heard it was suprised when we showed them a single 8" driver. for anyhting but bass tracks and heavy hiphop, it does very very well.

so thats it...before to let joey know what you think of his first fake floor!

I am off to CABO tomorrow morning, check in with yall when i come back!

Bing
I couldn't be happier with the look and performance of my new system.
jlu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jlu For This Useful Post:
brianlo622 (06-11-2013), CamryDS (06-05-2013), Clipdat (06-06-2013), littledeadpool (06-12-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Fancy!
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
jlu (06-11-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
CamryDS

Drives: 2003 Camry Blue | 2013 FR-S White
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
awesome build, and you got in just in time -- he'll be in cabo soon =)
CamryDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CamryDS For This Useful Post:
jlu (06-11-2013)
Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Looks great and I'm sure it sounds even better. I am loving these stealth single sub installs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
jlu (06-11-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
eklipz98

Drives: 2004 Honda S2000 (RIP to my BRZ)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is a really neat build. I like how the fake floor allows you to be incognito, or to be baller, all with the removal of a single panel.