follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: MT or AT ?
Manual Transmission 696 67.05%
Automatic Transmission 270 26.01%
Manual Transmission but I wish I got Automatic Transmission 11 1.06%
Automatic Transmission but I wish I got Manual Transmission 61 5.88%
Voters: 1038. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #323
LIKEABOSS

Drives: 2013 Boss 302 & 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A manual because I love to row my own gears!
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #324
Ocala FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That 42.5 avg mpg you got is quite remarkable. Not much for hills in Florida, but I did experience 39.5 in mine in a 120 mile round trip using regular AT mode. Lots of back roads and lesser highways. It seems that even with occasional intersections and stops, at steady speeds of 35 to 55 the mpg goes up surprisingly. It's hard not to like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikdrt1 View Post
I hear both sides, but just as a dumb user.. an older dum user growing up with nothing but MT -- i can say i am still impressed with the MPG of this car driving up and own the hills here in CA. .. in the AT format -

Ocala FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #325
White Shadow
Banned

Drives: 12,000 miles per year
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Carumba View Post
Some Porsche friends have compared it to the Porsche PDK, saying it was just about as good.
Sorry, but I gotta call BS on that one. PDK is the best automated manual gearbox that exists today. Making a comparison between a true dual-clutch (or twin-clutch or whatever you like to call it) gearbox and a more conventional slushbox with a torque converter is just silly. There's simply no comparison. It's apples & oranges, big time!
White Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #326
8ight6ix

Drives: Scion Frs Whiteout Mt
I drive a manual FRS and this is the first manual car i own. woooooooooooo
8ight6ix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #327
Ocala FR-S

Drives: 2013 FR-S AT Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yet there are still LOTS of cars available in the North American market that still offer AT.

hmmmmmmmm.... Why doesn't that sound right. Oh wait, I know, it's because we are saying goodbye to the MT.

[QUOTE=White Shadow;586996] .....Yet there are still LOTS of cars available in the North American market that still offer MT........
Ocala FR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #328
JayNutter
Banned

Drives: FR-S
I love manuals, but need the auto for the daily commute. Can't waste my time shifting gears when I need to give people the middle finger salute.
JayNutter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JayNutter For This Useful Post:
HotLeopardMama (12-04-2012), Spartan65 (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #329
Spartan65
USMC Veteran Semper Fi

Drives: 2010 WR Blue STi
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I always drive my AT in Manual mode unless I'm sport'n a beaver seat cover then it's AT thigh shifting all the way.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #330
Linniea

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
This is my first MT and I love it more than AT so far. Took some getting used to but i'm alright now
Linniea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #331
Jose Carumba

Drives: 2013 FR-S (Silver)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Shadow View Post
Sorry, but I gotta call BS on that one. PDK is the best automated manual gearbox that exists today. Making a comparison between a true dual-clutch (or twin-clutch or whatever you like to call it) gearbox and a more conventional slushbox with a torque converter is just silly. There's simply no comparison. It's apples & oranges, big time!
Just repeating what my friends said. They didn't say it was as good but the nearestt hing to it they had driven. Maybe they haven't driven much else, I don't know. I myself have never driven a car with a dual clutch transmission so I just took their word for it.
Jose Carumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #332
mit_peid
Boosted Noob

Drives: '13 FRS MT KW SC, '05 4Runner 4WD
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I don't see why can't you compare the two? Just because the two transmissions reside in two cars that are in two different price ranges? Although it might be apples and oranges technology, what are the quantifiable differences between the two types of automatic-manual transmissions? How much faster does the Porsche version shift? Does the FRS AT already shift faster than 90% of FRS MT drivers? Part of me wished Toyobaru just gave us the FRS/BRZ AT with the same gearing as the MT (as well as launch control) so we can really do an apples to apples comparison between the FRS MT and FRS AT. I really don't think most of these diehard MT devotees can shift as well as the FRS AT can (especially the ones that seem so sure there's only one answer - the MT - for everyone).
Old 12-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #333
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
This is a never ending argument. Even though it's a fact that the GTI DSG shifts faster, and is slighter faster because of it, so many MT owners would argue till they were blue in the face against it. I learned that there is just no point...so I stopped arguing.

Obviously this isn't the case with these cars, but I think everyone can agree that it's a very good automatic, and that's that. It's not trying to be better then the manual, just a very good alternative for those of us who want it.

The end.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #334
waynegro

Drives: Dodge Omni
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
I don't see why can't you compare the two? Just because the two transmissions reside in two cars that are in two different price ranges? Although it might be apples and oranges technology, what are the quantifiable differences between the two types of automatic-manual transmissions? How much faster does the Porsche version shift? Does the FRS AT already shift faster than 90% of FRS MT drivers? Part of me wished Toyobaru just gave us the FRS/BRZ AT with the same gearing as the MT (as well as launch control) so we can really do an apples to apples comparison between the FRS MT and FRS AT. I really don't think most of these diehard MT devotees can shift as well as the FRS AT can (especially the ones that seem so sure there's only one answer - the MT - for everyone).
Well said, I've got the manual and enjoy driving a manual car. People should try both and get the one they enjoy driving more.

I agree 100% about the ratios on the AT. It seems like Toyota/Subaru focused on making it really sporty then hampered it a little with the tall gearing.
waynegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #335
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mit_peid View Post
If you've ever driven PDK, you'd know exactly what I'm talking about. Listen, I still wouldn't buy a PDK car myself because I'm only interesting in owning MT cars, but even I'll admit that PDK is far ahead of anything else out there, and by that I mean other dual-clutch transmissions. The transmission in the FR-S/BRZ is just a conventional torque converter automatic with flappy paddles. It's really not comparable to the PDK, which is much more like a manual transmission than an automatic (other than the fact that it can shift itself!)
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #336
White Shadow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynegro View Post
Well said, I've got the manual and enjoy driving a manual car. People should try both and get the one they enjoy driving more.

I agree 100% about the ratios on the AT. It seems like Toyota/Subaru focused on making it really sporty then hampered it a little with the tall gearing.
If I understood his post correctly, he was talking about comparing Porsche's PDK to the automatic in the twins.