follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2018, 08:14 PM   #127
kb3dow

Drives: Honda Accord
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai-zero View Post
I can see the TQ dip thanks to the display on the new car,...
On a side question. If one were to install headers to fix the TQ dip issue, can OFT or some other tool fix the graph data on the RPM/HP/Torque display?
kb3dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 11:42 PM   #128
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,197 Times in 1,125 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I find the 86 to be more than adequate around town. Once the car is up to speed, it feels light on its feet. Add even one passenger though, you will start to notice the lack of torque at lower revs.

The 17s 4.3 FD helps the engine rev up a little quicker due to shorter gearing. Keeping the car around 3000rpm it accelates just fine for mundane traffic situations. When I need more poke, I drop a gear for more revs.

Unless you feel the need to be constantly ripping through traffic this car is more than you need.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (05-18-2018), kb3dow (05-01-2018), rvoll (05-02-2018), weederr33 (05-27-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #129
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb3dow View Post
On a side question. If one were to install headers to fix the TQ dip issue, can OFT or some other tool fix the graph data on the RPM/HP/Torque display?
no the curve on the display does not update post mods, like a dyno would
bababooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #130
JSube

Drives: 2017 ISM PP BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
I guess i might as well throw my 2 cents in.

I'm one of those people that love the car for what it is. I am also one of those people who decided to add FI because POWER.

What did i draw from this conclusion? The power was not quite what i wanted. This car offers a level of enjoyment (to me) that my other car (Focus ST) doesnt. While the Focus might FEEL faster. It actually isnt. But the BRZ doesnt feel faster until i'm above 5k RPMS.

For reference i am no longer supercharged. I'm currently running E85 with full bolt ons. Car is roughly at 200 whp. Thats WRX territory. Just with a higher redline. Power is never an issue honestly. I see people in 150hp Fiestas pass other cars all the time. Every car has the ability to go 90 mph. The difference is how you want to get there. For me, i like wringing out the car and working abit for it. If i want more low down torque i'll drive my Focus. But the BRZ is more satisfying. Even just driving 10 minutes to work.
^^^100% agreement!!
I just wrapped up my Delicious Tuning flexfuel revisions (after header-back exhaust & tune a few months ago) and it's a great mod. I wasn't interested in FI and my motivation for more power wasn't because I track the car, which I do, but's it's my DD.
The most impressive thing about our cars is the chassis. It's in a very small class of brilliantly balanced, fun and rewarding cars to drive at any speed. Adding more power = more fun with the chassis for me, on the streets, every day I'm in it.
I also know a guy on the forum who's an HPDE instructor with a top organization who hasn't done any power mods to his car because he's never felt it needed it. So there you go.
Raceseng Circuit Sphere 100 shifter arm, Radium catch can and master cylinder brace, Perrin oil cooler, Vorshlag front camber plates, ACE A350 header & overpipe, Berk catted front pipe, CSGxMXP exhaust, Delicious NA Stage II tune & Flex Fuel
JSube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:00 AM   #131
mike_ekim1024

Drives: Argento Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I stumbled upon this dyno and think it’s beautiful. Similar to others, 200 WHP with the torque dip gone. I always think about a supercharger some day, but I think I’d be happy with this. Pic from https://eqtuning.com/blogs/tunes/408...rz-header-tune
Attached Images

mike_ekim1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:53 AM   #132
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
What header is that? They are some really good curves, holds power very well and that torque is lovely and flat. Bet that feels strong on the road. Judging the fact it has slip joints and the brackets face up into the sump im guessing Gruppe-S? Hope so as i have one sat in my shed waiting to be fitted!
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #133
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
Low power is a 60hp turbo Diesel VW.

BRZ is fine for every day. Hell, it's fine for fast days, too.
atomicalex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atomicalex For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-27-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 03:16 PM   #134
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
I want to revisit my response to this question, having owned a 414hp M3 as well as various probably a dozen 'normal' cars/SUV/Minivans with V6 power plus a handful of four cylinder cars.

My experience is
one V8 with DCT (M3)
many V6 all with automatic
5 Four cylinders all with MT

I will have to say I would put one and only one of my cars in fast category. This being of course the M3 could beat 98% of the cars on the road from a dead stop.

The majority would be adequate power or less than adequate power.

The BRZ is not a fast accelerating car in any way shape or form, it is however adequate accelerating and once you are moving it's close to a fast car. The BRZ is able to carry a lot of speed on the road. It is able to carry as much speed as the M3 on the road (I have the tS with the performance tires). I would estimate the BRZ would keep up with a M3 on twisty roads, except the M3 would eat it alive pulling out of slow corner. However, on public roads (not race tracks) you don't get too much of slowing down for corners. I mean you are *likely* driving somewhere in the speed limits for example the back road is listed 35-45 mph and you'd be driving 45-60mph so you'd not really need to slow down like you would on a track where you might be able to hit 90 mph on a similar stretch.

As far as acceleration in traffic stop and go the BRZ is adequate but nothing more. It will not push you back in your seat or anything, it's just normal, you can keep up with typical traffic and probably 90% of what you see on the road. But any medium fast car you won't be able to keep up.

I'm looking at the data from a 2018 Odyssey minivan 280hp and 9 speed AT. The BRZ is slightly quicker in all the acceleration tests (I mean like 0.1s to 0.2s quicker)

V6 Accord with similar engine to the Odyssey, is quite a bit quicker like 1s to 1.5s quicker to every measured speed.

On public roads from a stop light you won't be clutch drop your BRZ from 6000rpm (which is how C&D was able to get the best acceleration times) so likely you could get walked by a well driven minivan, however most minivan's are not as quick as the latest Odyssey, and most Accords are not V6 so you'd probably not be beaten by most Accords but watch out for the the V6s they'll truly take you to school.

I was kind of lined up next to some form of Challenger at a stoplight, he looked at me like do you want to go? I was still in my break in period so I didn't even accelerate at all, but no way in heck would assume the BRZ would beat a Challenger. Now the V6 Challengers may be in the same ballpark with the BRZ but that's only the way the magazine tests the BRZ with a hive rev clutch drop. With a normal take off not high rev clutch drop, the BRZ is not a fast car.

Last edited by Rai-zero; 05-26-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rai-zero For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (06-04-2018), kb3dow (05-26-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:12 PM   #135
Rai-zero

Drives: Legacy
Just to clarify my opinion, the BRZ has adequate power and feels nice once it gets moving. But these descriptors (adequate, feels nice) are not be confused in any way of thinking this car is quick. I think it's nice to rev the engine but it feels kind of meh if you are expecting any raw power. The car is fun not fast.

The BRZ has below average acceleration and above average fun. I know that before I bought it and deliberately didn't want a Mustang/Corvette/Charger type car.

I'm not speed race, I just want a really fun taught car that's a blast to drive, I'm not concerned if I can or can not beat another car off the line.
Rai-zero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rai-zero For This Useful Post:
rvoll (05-28-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 06:58 AM   #136
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
If you get beat off the line, you will fly past them as soon as the first bend in the road arrives.
They will be braking while you are still on the gas.
That is what makes this one of the fastest cars out there.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:19 AM   #137
atomicalex

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited Perf Pack
It is not so bad to be more driver than car.

<— wants to make a comment about who tracks and who doesn‘t...
Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 AM   #138
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
......wtf. This car is an enjoyable vehicle, but FAR from anything remotely close to "fastest cars out there."
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:13 AM   #139
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
......wtf. This car is an enjoyable vehicle, but FAR from anything remotely close to "fastest cars out there."
I personally know guys posting faster laptimes than people driving cars with twice the HP. and on the street, the power is even less useful
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #140
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
If you get beat off the line, you will fly past them as soon as the first bend in the road arrives.
They will be braking while you are still on the gas.
Can confirm this. Got a fella in my work parking lot with one of those obnoxious challengers with a shaker hood and who knows how much hp. Started flexing on me until I outbraked him so hard into a corner that the poor guy, to recollect his dignity, floored it out of the corner and nearly spun out. I backed off cause clearly he doesn't know wtf he's doing. The insecurity on some people.