follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides

DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides For all DIYs.

User Tag List

Old 01-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #1
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
DIY - "Harness" for Valenti style 4th brake light

Recently bought a used Valenti style 4th brake light (iJDMToy brand) and I wanted to install it without damaging any existing wiring. So basically without splicing the wires on the tail light harness or the wires on the tail light. The annoying part was trying to find out where to get connectors that fit and figuring out exactly which pin on the connector was for what. All of the guides I found online relied on colors (i.e. "connect blue wire to green wire"). Color coded guides were a pain in the ass since different 4th brake lights and even different twins have different color wires.

Anyway, with this guide you can make your own harness and figure out exactly which wire to splice for fogs and brake. Nothing fancy, not many pictures. Ask if something isnt clear.

Parts needed:
Around 1ft of 20-22AWG wire.
Your choice of splices/taps. I used Posi-Taps.
Wire crimping + stripping tool. I used a combo tool from VISE-GRIP.
Connectors (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58513):
http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/El...ectors.html#TS
1x "4 Position TS 090 Male Connector" (Part# 4P-TS090-M)
1x "4 Position TS 090 Female Connector" (Part# 4P-TS090-F)

Making the harness is simple. Strip the wires, crimp the pins on, and then insert into connectors. Arrange the pins 1 to 1 so one wire is in the same position on both sides. Should end up with this:

In the above picture I already have my Posi-Taps in place on the right wires. After some poking around and testing, this is what each pin on the driver side male tail light connectors correspond to:

NOTE: This is for a USDM car. Pin out for AUDM, JDM, etc. may vary.

Pic of my connector for reference:

For the iJDMToy light, there's a brown wire and a blue wire.
Brown wire -> splice into "Tail light"
Blue wire -> splice into "Brake light"

I managed to do it without lifting the car at all, just laid a moving blanket on the floor and sat on it lol:

Car parts and trunk contents were all over the place. Other customers of the parking garage kept giving me weird looks

Last edited by PandaSPUR; 04-03-2017 at 12:51 AM.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
2ZZW30 (01-18-2017), Akuma147 (01-16-2017), mrderp (09-11-2018), Xanatos (05-14-2019)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:00 AM   #2
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I was thinking of splicing the Valenti Tail lights (the light bar) to turn on when braking, not just on when running lights are on.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma147 View Post
Thanks, this is what I was looking for. I was thinking of splicing the Valenti Tail lights (the light bar) to turn on when braking, not just on when running lights are on.
Hm so wouldn't that result in double the current going to that light bar if you have running lights on and hit the brakes?
Old 01-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #4
tato.valverde

Drives: Scion FRS RS1.0,Mazda MX-6 2.5i 4WS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Hm so wouldn't that result in double the current going to that light bar if you have running lights on and hit the brakes?
No such thing. You apply voltage, not current. Current is then taken from the line depending on the circuit's resistance:

I=V/R
tato.valverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tato.valverde View Post
No such thing. You apply voltage, not current. Current is then taken from the line depending on the circuit's resistance:

I=V/R
That part I knew, but I was thinking of the circuit as a series. Oops.

So thats not a bad idea. Although now I'm wondering how the running lights in the tail light would react... You're essentially bridging the brake and running light for one side, so that would make the running light on the one side also go on with brakes right? And if you have it hooked up so the V lights up for BOTH braking and running lights, that means brake lights will come on with running lights as well...

Or am I just getting confused here
Old 01-18-2017, 03:24 AM   #6
Akuma147

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
That part I knew, but I was thinking of the circuit as a series. Oops.

So thats not a bad idea. Although now I'm wondering how the running lights in the tail light would react... You're essentially bridging the brake and running light for one side, so that would make the running light on the one side also go on with brakes right? And if you have it hooked up so the V lights up for BOTH braking and running lights, that means brake lights will come on with running lights as well...

Or am I just getting confused here
This was just an idea that I had, that's why buying this harness is relatively cheap and if it doesn't work, I'll just take off the harness, and the Valenti wires are untouched.

I'm talking about the left and right Tail Lights, and not the V-bar. Basically, on the Valenti's, the light bar in the tail lights only light up when the running lights are on, so during daylight, they stay off and only the tiny brake strip turns on when you brake. The light bar looks too gorgeous to stay off during the day, so my intention is to wire it so that in the daylight, when you step on the brake, both the light bar turns on AND the brake strip turns on. Also, when the running lights are on at night, and the light bar is on, when I press brake, the brake strip would then turn on.
Akuma147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #7
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma147 View Post
This was just an idea that I had, that's why buying this harness is relatively cheap and if it doesn't work, I'll just take off the harness, and the Valenti wires are untouched.

I'm talking about the left and right Tail Lights, and not the V-bar. Basically, on the Valenti's, the light bar in the tail lights only light up when the running lights are on, so during daylight, they stay off and only the tiny brake strip turns on when you brake. The light bar looks too gorgeous to stay off during the day, so my intention is to wire it so that in the daylight, when you step on the brake, both the light bar turns on AND the brake strip turns on. Also, when the running lights are on at night, and the light bar is on, when I press brake, the brake strip would then turn on.
I see, I see. For that application, you should look into using diodes as well to ensure your brake lights dont go on with running lights. I'm only an amateur with electronics so I couldn't give you more info if I wanted to lol.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #8
Slash3707

Drives: 2016 subaru Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I just put my ijdm brand reverse light in today. The wiring diagram says go blue to red and brown to yellow... The turn signal wire... Had it all hooked up and was pissed that the brake light wouldn't work then found a diagram and learned green is the brake light wire...
If you wire this up its NOT THE YELLOW WIRE. Choose green for the brake light. Hope this helps someone in the future cause they must be color blind over a ijdm
Slash3707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:49 AM   #9
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash3707 View Post
I just put my ijdm brand reverse light in today. The wiring diagram says go blue to red and brown to yellow... The turn signal wire... Had it all hooked up and was pissed that the brake light wouldn't work then found a diagram and learned green is the brake light wire...
If you wire this up its NOT THE YELLOW WIRE. Choose green for the brake light. Hope this helps someone in the future cause they must be color blind over a ijdm
Yea I noticed this same issue before installing mine. Different guides tell you to wire it up to different colored wires, but thats inaccurate if your car's wiring doesnt match there.

I forgot what it was exactly, but wiring color varies based on model year or market. Decided to just go based on the pinout once I figured that out.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Dopio

Drives: 2013 scion fr-s auto tranny
Can't find the right part number. The link gives me 2 options. The link gives me either 4P090-HM set or 4P090-MT set. Help im stuck! :'(

Last edited by Dopio; 01-18-2018 at 11:23 AM.
Dopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #11
Horrid_Funk

Drives: 2017 DGM BRZ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/E...090/ts090.html

I found this link, the website must have moved its pages around.
Horrid_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #12
SkyeHack

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I just connected my 4th brake light using this guide. My 4th brake light turns on when I turn my car on. However, when I hit the brakes the 4th brake light completely turns off until I let go of the brake. Can someone let me know what I messed up on please?
Old 08-26-2018, 04:02 AM   #13
WishfulThinking

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
I'm currently looking into buying basically these same lights so this may be very useful! But while I'm at it do you have any complaints about these because I know very little about the product.
WishfulThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
PandaSPUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishfulThinking View Post
I'm currently looking into buying basically these same lights so this may be very useful! But while I'm at it do you have any complaints about these because I know very little about the product.
The ones I have are a replica that I bought used from someone else. So not Valentis and not even new, but they've given me zero trouble so far.