follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #15
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,815 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog View Post
I've had this issue with my 17 in the past 10 months of ownership as well, and decided I've had enough of the high beam flashes after dark.

To adjust the 17's headlight beam level you're going to need a 5/16 hex socket and a very small driver (I just put on some rubber gloves and twisted by hand). Pop open your hood and take a look at the back of the headlights for a cream/white hex bolt. Attach the hex bit and turn it CLOCKWISE to lower and COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to increase the beam height. Getting the right adjustment may take a few tries, or you could check a youtube video for a proper alignment method.

Enjoy the new peace of mind knowing you aren't melting other driver's retinas!
Good helpful 2nd post ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
mrderp
ಠ_ಠ

Drives: 860 SansOverspray
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can't be worse than the new corolla with the led lights, or the Cx5 or all of them old beaters with misaligned HID conversions.
mrderp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:27 PM   #17
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,128 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Thank you everybody for the responses!
Now that I have driven the car a little more I notice it bounces around on bumps which causes the lights to flick up and down. Coming up hills somebody gets a face bull of headlights. When I am in trafficthey seem to be at a reasonable level. Everybody who has ridden in the car has been blown away by how effective these new LED headlights are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipdat View Post
Are your brights/high beams on?
No, they are not. The foglights only come on with the low beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
You should only run fog lights when there's fog. Maybe your headlights are out of adjustment.
Logically that makes sense, I am used to my previous car with halogen projector headlights and fog lights which were extremely dim in comparison. I ran the fog lights in that car to offset the dim halogens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slydog View Post
I've had this issue with my 17 in the past 10 months of ownership as well, and decided I've had enough of the high beam flashes after dark.

To adjust the 17's headlight beam level you're going to need a 5/16 hex socket and a very small driver (I just put on some rubber gloves and twisted by hand). Pop open your hood and take a look at the back of the headlights for a cream/white hex bolt. Attach the hex bit and turn it CLOCKWISE to lower and COUNTER-CLOCKWISE to increase the beam height. Getting the right adjustment may take a few tries, or you could check a youtube video for a proper alignment method.

Enjoy the new peace of mind knowing you aren't melting other driver's retinas!
Awesome thank you for the tips, I've used the garage door method before to help line them up.
I have appointment with the dealer to fix minor dents in the body from sitting on the dealer lot. I will be asking them about the adjustment out of curiosity.
RToyo86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 02:39 PM   #18
SCQTT
ZWEI KOLBEN

Drives: 2017 86 Halo 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The projector headlights on the 14-16 Corolla are the brightest things on the road. They run at reduced level for DLRs. The 17 86 has OK headlights, but they are nothing compared to the Corollas.
SCQTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #19
Quentin

Drives: ‘16 4Runner, ‘19 Corolla HB
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
You should only run fog lights when there's fog. Maybe your headlights are out of adjustment.

So much this. It is one of my pet peeves. Fog lights are there for lighting the area just in front of your car in heavy fog. If you run them in normal conditions you are just making your own visibility worse. Think about it this way. Your eyes adjust to the available light. If you are traveling 70mph down the freeway, your eyes should be looking where you will be several seconds later. At 70mph, that is far down the road. If you have a more intense light aimed at the pavement directly in front of your bumper, your eyes will consider that light when adjusting. Running your fogs in clear nighttime conditions effectively takes in useless data when determining how your eyes should adjust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quentin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:32 AM   #20
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
So much this. It is one of my pet peeves. Fog lights are there for lighting the area just in front of your car in heavy fog. If you run them in normal conditions you are just making your own visibility worse. Think about it this way. Your eyes adjust to the available light. If you are traveling 70mph down the freeway, your eyes should be looking where you will be several seconds later. At 70mph, that is far down the road. If you have a more intense light aimed at the pavement directly in front of your bumper, your eyes will consider that light when adjusting. Running your fogs in clear nighttime conditions effectively takes in useless data when determining how your eyes should adjust.
It drives me absolutely crazy when people drive with their fogs on all the time. Besides the fact that it's illegal nearly everywhere when the visibility is over ~100 yards if you're coming at them and you're slightly downhill those things are aimed right at you because they are aimed so low and are super annoying. Now with all of the morons running LED lightbars and assorted other "cool" aftermarket lights I just want to scream sometimes. I really wish that the light laws were better enforced...

In my '13 BRZ I get flashed constantly by oncoming traffic and have since I got the car. I tend to drive with them adjusted quite low too, usually on 2 or 3 on the height adjuster but that doesn't seem to matter. I've been pulled over 3 times for my lights being too bright and try to show the officer that I have them set low and tell them that they are stock lights. Twice I've had to go prove that they are stock within 24 hours of being pulled over (fix-it ticket) and one of those times necessitated a hotel room stay overnight because I was 200 miles from home and didn't want to go round trip to take care of it. I hate that I keep them adjusted so low because I outdrive them at speeds over ~50mph.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #21
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
Just shitty headlights then. This is why the IIHS tests glare, though not on our cars. This is also why I'm not a huge fan of HIDs and the like. Though they do a great job of lighting the road up, they often blind others. Personally, I'm just interested in the brights. Everywhere I drive, there's plenty of light or I use my brights. No in between.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:00 PM   #22
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
It drives me absolutely crazy when people drive with their fogs on all the time. Besides the fact that it's illegal nearly everywhere when the visibility is over ~100 yards if you're coming at them and you're slightly downhill those things are aimed right at you because they are aimed so low and are super annoying. Now with all of the morons running LED lightbars and assorted other "cool" aftermarket lights I just want to scream sometimes. I really wish that the light laws were better enforced...

In my '13 BRZ I get flashed constantly by oncoming traffic and have since I got the car. I tend to drive with them adjusted quite low too, usually on 2 or 3 on the height adjuster but that doesn't seem to matter. I've been pulled over 3 times for my lights being too bright and try to show the officer that I have them set low and tell them that they are stock lights. Twice I've had to go prove that they are stock within 24 hours of being pulled over (fix-it ticket) and one of those times necessitated a hotel room stay overnight because I was 200 miles from home and didn't want to go round trip to take care of it. I hate that I keep them adjusted so low because I outdrive them at speeds over ~50mph.
My 10 series has those same lights and i've never gotten flashed at the highest setting. In fact last time i got flashed was driving my old beater with aftermarket headlights that had a frozen adjuster knob. POS aftermarket lights!
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #23
RToyo86

Quote:
Just shitty headlights then. This is why the IIHS tests glare, though not on our cars. This is also why I'm not a huge fan of HIDs and the like. Though they do a great job of lighting the road up, they often blind others. Personally, I'm just interested in the brights. Everywhere I drive, there's plenty of light or I use my brights. No in between.
The tech is getting better.
High end Mercedes LED headlights have sensors that detect oncoming traffic and and dynamically shut off individual zones of the LED projector to reduce oncoming traffic from being effected by bright lights.

With regards to these headlights I haven't had issues since shutting off the fog lights. I will double check with the dealer to ensure the headlights are set correctly.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:06 PM   #24
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
All sorts of fancy tech, but the luxury cars aren't built to last anymore. Nothing but issues with a 5-year-old BMW. Not going there again anytime soon.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #25
sfdai0

Drives: S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
The projector headlights on the 14-16 Corolla are the brightest things on the road. They run at reduced level for DLRs. The 17 86 has OK headlights, but they are nothing compared to the Corollas.

In what way? The 17 86 headlights have the same projector housing as the BRZ right? Ive seen the BRZ, and it is extremely bright. Not sure how good the coverage of the light is though.
sfdai0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #26
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
All sorts of fancy tech, but the luxury cars aren't built to last anymore. Nothing but issues with a 5-year-old BMW. Not going there again anytime soon.
Luxury cars are built for 3-year leases.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:59 PM   #27
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Plain ol' stock halogen FTW.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:47 AM   #28
RToyo86

Quote:
Very true. That is one of the reasons I was not concerned with buying this car.
I prefer simplicity.