follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
New Alarm System - Manual Gear Box!

Sad article i read today on Yahoo

Looks like were becoming OG's in manuals....

But in reality it's quiet sad....i feel like sooner or later manuals will only be exclusive to the European market or something...cause everyone is driving auto's in NA

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/drivers-sh...030419042.html

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:36 PM   #2
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does it really matter? As technology comes along, it's being proven that cars with autos (regardless of dual clutch or slush-box, realistically, they're one in the same), that they can shift faster, and more consistently than a human.

And really, literally the only argument I ever hear for a manual, is "I feel more connected to the car". I feel just as connected to the car when I pull the paddles as I do while clutching and shifting.

Feel free to disagree with me, but manual transmissions are dinosaurs. Just like my time spent with the military, I was in during a shift in mentality, that went from treating soldiers like dirt, to treating them like people. Guess what way worked better for the army? You know what happened to the people (aka dinosaurs) who wanted to keep treating soldiers like shit because that's how they wanted to see things get done? They were driven out, or forced to change. It's evolution, simple as that. I for one will embrace it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I learned to drive stick, but ultimately, for a vehicle that I drive every day, auto wins out. The only people who even give a fuck about the manual dying are enthusiasts. The same people who bitched that there was no affordable RWD sports car other than the Miata, then when Toyobaru delivered, they still didn't buy one.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 03:50 PM   #3
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
#flappypaddlenation

In all seriousness though, to each their own! It is sorta refreshing to parallel park and grind on the 403/QEW without feathering a clutch.

Slightly off topic, when I take a great photo and print it out to like 4 feet wide, I don't have a disclaimer that says "BRO I TOOK THIS IN FULLY MANUAL EXPOSURE/FOCUSING ON MY CAMERA"
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #4
Canadian Greg

Drives: Black 2013 fr-s
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Manuals last 10 times longer and simply give better drive-ability.
Brake lining replacements are few and far between too.
Folks that drive autos never really learned to drive properly, and any idiot can drive one...no skill required.
I pity all who have missed the "manual" boat!
Canadian Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Canadian Greg For This Useful Post:
breadcrumbz (06-23-2015), daftpunk (06-25-2015), FLYFISHR (06-23-2015), Mr.Impreza (06-24-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #5
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
I won't lie, when I drive an auto there is always the urge to text because its so easy, with the manual brz though the phone goes into the side cupholder and never comes out simply because its too difficult to drive stick and text! So in that regard I totally agree with the article.
Canehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
Canehda
poverty cause racecar

Drives: Subaru BRZ JRSC'd
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Greg View Post
Manuals last 10 times longer and simply give better drive-ability.
Brake lining replacements are few and far between too.
Folks that drive autos never really learned to drive properly, and any idiot can drive one...no skill required.
I pity all who have missed the "manual" boat!

just made myself dinner, let the fight commence
Canehda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:15 PM   #7
raven1231

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S, 2016 DGM WRX
Thanked 3,118 Times in 1,667 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
Does it really matter? As technology comes along, it's being proven that cars with autos (regardless of dual clutch or slush-box, realistically, they're one in the same), that they can shift faster, and more consistently than a human.

And really, literally the only argument I ever hear for a manual, is "I feel more connected to the car". I feel just as connected to the car when I pull the paddles as I do while clutching and shifting.

Feel free to disagree with me, but manual transmissions are dinosaurs. Just like my time spent with the military, I was in during a shift in mentality, that went from treating soldiers like dirt, to treating them like people. Guess what way worked better for the army? You know what happened to the people (aka dinosaurs) who wanted to keep treating soldiers like shit because that's how they wanted to see things get done? They were driven out, or forced to change. It's evolution, simple as that. I for one will embrace it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that I learned to drive stick, but ultimately, for a vehicle that I drive every day, auto wins out. The only people who even give a fuck about the manual dying are enthusiasts. The same people who bitched that there was no affordable RWD sports car other than the Miata, then when Toyobaru delivered, they still didn't buy one.
Yes, but this is only really the case in purpose built race cars. Everyday cars generally are slower with an automatic trans, as the gearing is worse.
raven1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #8
Skurj

Drives: SOLD...
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
hmm not sad by any means...

BUT.. what is sad.. is that eventually there will be no manuals.. They'll at least have an automatic clutch..
Replaced with 18 50th edition ND
Skurj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:06 PM   #9
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I still feel more connected driving manual, but then I started driving in the early 80's. With each successive generation demand will change Manufacturers influience what the public demands. If the auto box is marketed as being better the next generastion wont even thik twicew about buying it. Still, I am pretty sure with the twins the manuals have way outsold the autos.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #10
Kazuya

Drives: Takumi
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I should've bought an auto, forcing myself to learn manual and not enjoying cruising speeds is currently a disappointment I have for this car. I like when the computers do most of the work, you just focus on how and when to hit the next apex and let the car control/correct your safety.
Kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kazuya For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-23-2015)
Old 06-23-2015, 07:23 PM   #11
HeadBanger

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
I like you comment about Europe being the only place to get a stick, because there's cars like the M5 which can only be bought with three pedals in North America.

I much prefer driving stick because I feel (and am) much more in control than an automatic. You can't coast in an auto the way you would a manual. I also like deciding when to change gears myself.

I would take a manual any day over an auto.
It's also nice knowing you're less likely to become a victim of theft lol
Old 06-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post

I agree 0% with you haha.

I bought my BMW 335i in auto with the paddle shifters because i thought that my wife would also drive it, but honestly i felt so bored driving it. It disconnects you from the joy of driving. I saw nothing good about the auto. And that lag in the shifting points....my godddd. I know the dual clutch cars are good, but still....

And the whole shifting faster is such a stupid example man. In most places, it doesn't matter how fast you shift, your going to be stuck in traffic or at red lights

The whole shifting faster is just a marketing thing they do to sell cars.

99.9% of people who buy cars don't ever go to the track...they could care less about shifting times

Anyways, I still love you man, and i understand the point of auto's in regards to an easier driving experience and my honda accord is actually an auto because i drive a lot. However i still kind of wish i bought it in the 6spd haha. But in normal sedans/vans/suv's i have no problem with auto. It only becomes a problem for me when it's a sports car like a freaking GTR.

But yeah, these little miata's and frs/brz's are going to become little gems very soon!

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #13
Bergen23
Banned

Drives: '15 Halo FR-S
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
That's fine that you feel disconnected with paddle shifters. I realize that a clutch for most people acts as a penis extender and that's fine. I bought an auto because for me, it allows me to enjoy and focus on driving rather than shifting. When and if I go to the track, I can have both hands on the wheels always, while someone with a manual will be fumbling around with a shifter.

Shifting faster isn't a marketing thing. If it's empiracally proven, then there's more merit to it than marketing. Again, an automatic corvette is faster in a straight line than a manual corvette. "But driving experience, blah blah blah". The fact of the matter is, now the only argument people who are diehard manual transmission drivers can use is "I feel connected to the car". Because the next gen of slush boxes will greatly outperform every manual transmission except those piloted by the best drivers.

Arguments like "I can choose what gear I'm in" are silly, I can also do that in M mode with my auto. Same with the argument from that article of being able to drop gears quick enough to pass. I can double tap my paddle shifter and it will skip a gear on the downshift, just like you'd do in a manual.
Bergen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #14
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
It disconnects you from the joy of driving. I saw nothing good about the auto. And that lag in the shifting points....
Here is a picture of me not enjoying the A/T at all.
@1Cor10:23 is 2 cars back enjoying his way more

Name:  11402401_10203648755853407_7931537245431421207_o-1200.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  355.4 KB

Thanks to @Skurj for the pics
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
Bergen23 (06-24-2015)