follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2023, 03:33 PM   #1
MykGR86

Drives: 2023 GR86 MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Opinions on TRD GR Member Brace Set for Gen2?

Has anyone installed and tested the TRD GR Member Brace Set for the 22+ GR86? How does it compare to other braces?
MykGR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 11:59 AM   #2
norcalpb

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2023 Model 3
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I’m curious as well. However, the gen 2 skid plates bolt to the new oem crossmember braces, so going to a gen 1 front brace would require a gen 1 skid plate.
norcalpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 12:04 PM   #3
Bergycheese348

Drives: TRD Supercharged 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have the TRD Member Brace Set for gen 1 (it is a TRD product with GR branding btw).

There will always be debate on if braces work or not, and this is what I always say.
The purpose of it always matters. If it is a DD that never sees events there is zero need and it will make the ride quality worse. If you do HPDEs bracing is generally good. People always say that an upgrade is supposed to lower a lap time exclusively, that is not always true though. These have very good chassis for a reason. The chassis (and the stock bracing) is put in there to keep the car connected and controllable. Put it this way, upgraded/stiffer bushings are put in to control the movement of whatever it is in. A brace is similar in that it prevents movement, but it is different in that it prevents metal from flexing by making other metal compress (metal is strongest when compressing) rather than rubber compressing. I brought up the debate on 'dropping lap times' because bracing itself does not drop lap times individually. I mentioned control, and a big point about control is predictability. if you are able to predict your car better you yourself will be more confident, it prevents mistakes, and it can impact the performance of other important systems (like suspension). The biggest thing is bracing the parts of the car that need it. Putting a brace across a bar (both connection points are on the same bar) does absolutely nothing good and just adds weight.

Original 911s are notorious for being unpredictable due to their rear engine layout. Due to various bracing and other systems in the car, it has made the car much more controllable in the current generation.

Hopefully a bit of all of that info helps in your decision. with my car with some other bracing it is very predictable on the edge, and have gotten plenty of compliments about it.

T RD, Verus, Ace
Bergycheese348 is offline   Reply With Quote