follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum

BRZ Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum All photos, videos and other media related to the Subaru BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2014, 12:43 PM   #43
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
If memory serves me correctly, there is but one true OEM motor inside of the car it came in, and that's Fredric Aasbo's 800hp Scion tC.

All others have engine swaps. I mean if you speak on US only spec. Some could argue that the SR20 came in the JDM spec S chassis, as there is one S chassis with an SR20 in it (but only because his 2jz S chassis had mechanically problems).
Dave Briggs is still running the SR. He has been for years now.

People can bitch all they want but the fact is some options will never be as reliable. I love seeing OEM power plants in tact but if you want to be competitive, you gotta move with the times.

It's much easier to make 600hp from 6.x liter V8 than a 2 liter 4 cylinder. Much easier to keep the setup reliable too. People choose V8s cause they work. The power is always there and it doesn't require a lot of foot work. Shit, a lot of the FD drivers running the V8s leave the starting line in 2nd gear.

I prefer hearing the JZ motors and SRs and if I were to run in FD, I would most certainly go JZ. You just need to understand that you can only do so much with any platform before compromises start being made.

It is what it is.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #44
TylerLieberman

Why even talk about the cars soul? Do you realize that the cars in Formula D are the just about the most powerful race cars in the world? Obviously, there's drag cars and stuff...

But what other race series do you see numerous cars amongst the pack surpassing the 1000whp mark? Most of the cars now in FD are 500+hp. Average is probably around 700 or so. These cars are nowhere close to being the car they were when they hit the showroom floor. Their "soul" is long gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
STV3 (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #45
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
Dave Briggs is still running the SR. He has been for years now.

People can bitch all they want but the fact is some options will never be as reliable. I love seeing OEM power plants in tact but if you want to be competitive, you gotta move with the times.

It's much easier to make 600hp from 6.x liter V8 than a 2 liter 4 cylinder. Much easier to keep the setup reliable too. People choose V8s cause they work. The power is always there and it doesn't require a lot of foot work. Shit, a lot of the FD drivers running the V8s leave the starting line in 2nd gear.

I prefer hearing the JZ motors and SRs and if I were to run in FD, I would most certainly go JZ. You just need to understand that you can only do so much with any platform before compromises start being made.

It is what it is.

Yea that's what I said about the JDM mention. In terms of US, an SR20 never came in any model.
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #46
Shawnofthedead

Drives: Black on black with so much class
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This is crazy dropping a ls7 in a subaru produced body is blasphemy to me. Similar views to previous statements if the FA20 isn't holding up do something about it produce ways to make it derive power from hell. Hey GG to you for having a fast car with a chevy motor hey guess what go drive a camaro or a rear wheel drive chevy late model but, for gods sakes don't put out a import with an American engine at least if you're going to do a swap keep it to the roots of the engine ,the company ,and to the fans and give us something we can relate to. . . If I wanted a chevy I would have bought one you don't have my vote just my troll your car isn't classy it's boardering trashy and disrespectful.
Shawnofthedead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:20 AM   #47
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Let's not make this another thread that questions the validity of engine swaps. Because it shouldn't be. In general, I agree it's Frankenstein blasphemy. But within the context of Formula D, it's almost necessary. Formula D forces you to go Frankenstein, else you fall off being unable to keep up and compete. That Taka Aono vid posted earlier (great vid) will get you up to speed in this discussion (I get the feeling some people are posting their opinions without taking Formula D into context). I've met Taka Aono... very friendly, humble guy who personally values each fan. His view summarizes my previous post but antagonizes it (rightfully so). The root of this argument boils down to the validity of judging in Formula D - the criteria of which dictates the direction of builds (engine swaps):

A] Old school purist judging considering the limits of each individual car, making swaps less important. The gentleman's way of drifting where technique is respected. The danger here is it's not as easy to understand/accessible to the mainstream.

versus

B] New school judging where speed, early initiation, and longer drift duration matter (advantage goes to swaps). This forces the sport to be a money/sponsor race as Taka Aono said in the video. More accessible to the mainstream but shrinks the "middle ground" aspiring drifters who can't afford to compete. A shrinking pool of competitors may lead to extinction of this sport.

I'm curious to hear what @Moto-P and @Knshro13 have to say on this.

Also, anyone aware of any judging changes this season? Some conflicting posts on facebook say it's like a race (follower must keep up w/ leader in tandem drift). But that's how it was for for the previous 2 seasons from what I've watched. Others say this season is falling back to D1-style where drifters are judged within the limitations of their individual car.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #48
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fett4Real View Post
Not to most people...swaps in cars have been happening since theres been cars. You get a 4cyl mustang put a V8 in it is that OK? Of course. You get a light car put a big motor in it. Thats a common thing.
yes that is true but if you are talking about changing a 4 cyl mustang into a v8 mustang that is mustang heritage. what would have been acceptable would be to swap in an sti engine a beams engine a 2jz hell even somehow a 4age. but to change it into a garbage gm engine or something like that is blasphemy. even a lexus v8 would be acceptable (not sure what v8 this car has because i didn't check it out just coming in on this one). but just my thoughts
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #49
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
its about staying true to the spirit of the engineering instead of dumbing the car down with "duuhhh big engine...make wheels go smoke. go fast" i hate that mentality. respect the cars and respect the heritage
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #50
TylerLieberman

@switchlanez

The judging criteria this year is completely different. Speed no longer plays a factor in your score. 50 points are given for style. The other 2 judges go off of line and angle. So one judge gives up to 30 points for style. One judge gives up to 10 for style and up to 25 for line while the last judge gives up to 10 for style and up to 25 for angle.

Much better format. I think the HP wars and engine swaps are going to start tapering off after this season. FD long beach this past weekend was actually THE BEST ran event in a couple seasons now in my opinion. Things were very smooth from what I saw and heard and they kept the momentum going within the event. No crazy bs popping up and lack of organization. Hopefully the series continues this path. Only thing I'm mad about is no more 3rd place battle. 3rd place is determined by who had the higher qualifying score-which is just stupid.
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
switchlanez (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #51
Fett4Real
AKA Mugen Dom

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2007 FJ Voodoo Blue
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Wonder how many more people will hate on the swap...amusing to see the "reasoning" behing people hating. Calling the LS7 garbage...hardly garbage. No ones telling you to buy a chevy or to swap your car. If they never opened the hood or told you what motor was in it would it matter? The car is BARELY even a subaru in the first place. There are way worse things that could have been done to this car, shit they could have used another car for that matter and had no 86/BRZ at all.
Fett4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #52
STV3
Seņor Member

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,322 Times in 645 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
The cars they choose to use are really just a sponsor/style choice more than anything. What really matters is the motor, drive train, and suspension set up
STV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:40 AM   #53
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
The cars they choose to use are really just a sponsor/style choice more than anything. What really matters is the motor, drive train, and suspension set up
I was watching a video on Tanner Foust's shakedown of his new TC and he was talking about how different it reacts compared to the Z that he was driving before. The thing is, the wheelbase and driver position relative to motor's location has a large impact on they way the car rotates. Chassis has a larger impact that is often realized since people see the impact of changing suspension components and motors but don't really see first hand just how important the chassis is to vehicle dynamics. There is a reason who people jumped on the ZN6 platform so fast when you can get into a Challenger or Camaro with a V8 for less than the cost of a twin plus V8 swap. Heck, you can get a stripper Challenger SRT8 for less than $42k with the 6.4L Hemi and Brembos (and all of the other SRT8 goodies).
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #54
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Meh....I'd drive it.
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #55
FT86POWER
Banned

Drives: FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
I did a quick search and didn't get a hit on a thread.

Dai's 2014 Formula Drift Falken Tires BRZ

V8 Turbo

Nice!!!
FT86POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:13 AM   #56
Kids Heart

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
This is a BRZ
Kids Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kids Heart For This Useful Post: