follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 11-19-2019, 11:47 PM   #5195
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@peaches Good info thanks - was that on Nov 17th? Looks like ambient temp was pretty low that day, ~57F?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
So... Sebring. The alarm on the oil temp gauge kept going off in the first session, had to turn the heater on. Logged data from the ECU on the second session and saw a max of 246 with the heater on. Left the heater on the rest of the day and didn't have an issue (the ECU didn't reduce power due to high oil temps).

Going to Road Atlanta in a couple of weeks, will do some logging there as well.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #5196
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
@peaches Good info thanks - was that on Nov 17th? Looks like ambient temp was pretty low that day, ~57F?
Yes, temps were low (60 or under). I ordered a trac box (replacement for beastronix) with an option to turn the fans on, that should be a better option than using the heater.
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:13 PM   #5197
steved

Drives: 2013 FRS
I don't know if the rad fans will do anything when you're hitting track speeds but I think it would help in the paddock for cool down. My concern is that with ambient temps ~60F and you're hitting ~240F and have to turn the heater on, that when its 90F ambient you're going to see 270F which is the same issue I have with the dual cooler.

Someone tried to explain thermal dynamics to me at one point but too far out of my realm. From what I've observed in a practical sense there is a direct correlation between a change in ambient temp and a change in oil temp when you're running at full tilt with the dual cooler.

As far as the hood vents go I was reading one of Varus threads on their implementation and they did not observe a decrease in engine temp, the real advantage was some external engine components such as coils were at lower temps which might lead to longer life, and reduced hood flutter. I would think decreased heatsoak as well but I always prop my hood after a session. Ref: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...8&postcount=11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches View Post
Yes, temps were low (60 or under). I ordered a trac box (replacement for beastronix) with an option to turn the fans on, that should be a better option than using the heater.
steved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steved For This Useful Post:
sroby (11-20-2019)
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #5198
HaXx

Drives: Silver JRSC BRZ, S1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by J1Avs View Post
I would definitely retune, if you were going catted, maybe you could get away with it, but with the additional airflow a catless EL is going to enable, I feel a tune is necessary to actually reap any major benefits out of it. Personally, Iím also of the mindset to want my tune to be 100% in line with whatís going on with my car, because with boost, any margin of error just doesnít seem with the worth it.
digging up the past i know, but im still toying with buying that el catless header. i realise i wont fully maximize power gains without redyno. but will it be BAD for my engine, throw off the air/fuel etc, if i replace the oe header with a catless el and dont re dyno.

i dont have the ecutek cable, and iirc, the tuner "sealed" my tune on my ecu, so no other tuner could open it and steal his tricks? is that right or am i out of my mind?
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote