follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2019, 02:00 PM   #141
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Love it! Nothing is quite as fun as challenging gravity to see how much grease/junk you can catch on your face. I was surprised people didn't come to this mod before other stuff for raw acceleration. One of the best bang for the buck mods if you don't mind the car having shorter gearing.

Pretty sure the gear indicator grabs your average wheel speed and matches it with RPM to guess a gear- changing your RPM at the same speed inherently goofs with this.

I admire anyone who spends more than an hour underneath their car to accomplish a goal. I personally enjoy it; nobody can bother me or stand under the car on the lift to be a safety hazard to themselves.
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:16 PM   #142
MCTeeJ

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
Love it! Nothing is quite as fun as challenging gravity to see how much grease/junk you can catch on your face. I was surprised people didn't come to this mod before other stuff for raw acceleration. One of the best bang for the buck mods if you don't mind the car having shorter gearing.

Pretty sure the gear indicator grabs your average wheel speed and matches it with RPM to guess a gear- changing your RPM at the same speed inherently goofs with this.

I admire anyone who spends more than an hour underneath their car to accomplish a goal. I personally enjoy it; nobody can bother me or stand under the car on the lift to be a safety hazard to themselves.
Thanks so much for the kind words, friend! I'm still not a mechanic, but I like to think I better myself with each job I try to tackle. In regard to your comment about why more people don't do this I'm really not sure. When I initially posted about the diff elsewhere I got a lot of "why?" or "X aftermarket final drive is better" comments. In my mind this is the best budget friendly final drive solution since it's an oem sealed diff ready to go.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #143
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
Thanks so much for the kind words, friend! I'm still not a mechanic, but I like to think I better myself with each job I try to tackle. In regard to your comment about why more people don't do this I'm really not sure. When I initially posted about the diff elsewhere I got a lot of "why?" or "X aftermarket final drive is better" comments. In my mind this is the best budget friendly final drive solution since it's an oem sealed diff ready to go.
The generation that this car forum brings in is much more about "spend your 401 on MOST EXPENSIVE QUALITY PARTS" than bang for the buck. It's outrageous how much people spend on simple builds with this platform compared to the E36; ingenuity is lost on a lot of the crowd. Why make/swap parts and have to clean them when you can buy them NEW for Youtube views and Instagram flexing?

Not that I'm bitter and poor or anything.. but I do enjoy the art of stretching a buck and swapping parts that are unintended upgrades. Nothing suits my Geo Metro better than the BRZ stock shift knob I threaded onto the uninspired gearstick.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
HaXx (11-20-2019), MCTeeJ (11-18-2019), new2subaru (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #144
MCTeeJ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
The generation that this car forum brings in is much more about "spend your 401 on MOST EXPENSIVE QUALITY PARTS" than bang for the buck. It's outrageous how much people spend on simple builds with this platform compared to the E36; ingenuity is lost on a lot of the crowd. Why make/swap parts and have to clean them when you can buy them NEW for Youtube views and Instagram flexing?

Not that I'm bitter and poor or anything.. but I do enjoy the art of stretching a buck and swapping parts that are unintended upgrades. Nothing suits my Geo Metro better than the BRZ stock shift knob I threaded onto the uninspired gearstick.
I'd imagine Hum and Tcoat would have a story or 10 to tell about stretching a buck from back in their day haha
Old 11-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #145
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTeeJ View Post
I'd imagine Hum and Tcoat would have a story or 10 to tell about stretching a buck from back in their day haha
It'd be completed with an artifacted Jpg image to complete the post aesthetic! Hopefully one of them finds this and add a story about how their water pump only stopped working when it got cold and the well frozen up.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (11-18-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #146
MCTeeJ

Garage
I sent my annual oil sample over to Blackstone. Last year around the same time I sent in a sample of Mobil 1 EP with 3,355 miles on it. This year I switched to Schaeffer's Supreme 9000, and the sample was taken at 4,300. The comparison is pretty interesting. Both samples were taken after a long road trip with mountain driving. According to Blackstone the engine is wearing better now than it was, which is great news. At a glance the first thing I noticed was the Moly count (anti wear additive) is much, much higher than that of the Mobil 1 sample.

Full comments below.
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #147
MCTeeJ

Garage
Hello there,

It's been a little while since I've posted. For Christmas I got my car some TRD pre painted side skirts from Japan. I'm VERY impressed with the fit and finish. The paint match is spot on which on a 37j car surprised me. Install took about an hour. Once I figured out how to get the first skirt on the second one went on much faster. Hardware kit was included. Grey weatherstripping pre-installed as well. Gotta love oem+
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2020, 05:02 PM   #148
MCTeeJ

Garage
This post makes me very happy. Mach V Awesome in 17x9 +42 with a 245/40/17 RE71r and a (very well) paint matched Greddy GRacer front lip added. I've been picturing this look with the skirts and the wing for months now, and I'm happy to say it has exceeded my expectations.
Attached Images

Last edited by MCTeeJ; 02-11-2020 at 11:44 AM.
MCTeeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MCTeeJ For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (02-19-2020), Thefear13 (01-31-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #149
MCTeeJ

Garage
Was up for a foggy morning breakfast run and decided to snap a quick grainy cell phone pic. Still can't get over how good the new kit looks.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2020, 07:02 PM   #150
MCTeeJ

Garage
Password JDM is having a huge sale so I picked up their strut bar at an amazing price. I'm really impressed with the build quality so far, and I love the red finish. Matches my HKS oil cap nicely.

Pics installed below; I'll have to report back after a few days of driving the car with the bar installed. Either way I like the added bling.
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #151
MCTeeJ

Garage
AC line was contacting the bar so I implemented a little fix inspired by the Grimmspeed bar setup. Seems to work well.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #152
MCTeeJ

Garage
Haven't updated in a while. I got a really good deal on these RCE SS1'S so I went ahead and grabbed them off of the classifieds. Previous owner has a good reputation here and states they have about 1500 miles on them. I'm excited to try these out. Really looking forward to an increase in comfort and performance.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #153
MCTeeJ

Garage
I felt that the Sard style wing and Modbargains spoiler were both fighting for attention at the rear section of the car so I decided to get a TRD pre painted trunk spoiler. I think it looks much more low-key this way, "adds" height to the wing, and overall makes the car look more balanced. I'm happy with it.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2020, 09:58 AM   #154
MCTeeJ

Garage
I was on my morning drive to work a few weeks ago and decided I had to pull off at the nearby lake to get a picture with the fog. Given the uncertain times we are currently in I felt the foggy lake was a more than appropriate backdrop. I'm thankful to have an outlet in cars as things have been stressful lately. Hoping everyone on here is staying safe as well!
Attached Images