follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 10-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #61377
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo419 View Post
it's amazing what people will deal with just because they are familiar with it instead of take a chance on an unknown that might be better.
It was actually a pretty good gig and the reason I went back. The generation after mine for the most part stopped trying and are content. We have always groomed from within, but as of late that is not working.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:29 PM   #61378
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
This is the reason I left my job the first time. Couldn't take a day off without being attached to my phone, doing 10 different things at once with no one else to cover for me. Don't know how I stuck it out so many years.
At least there is a two part feeling you get from this. Being needed like that has always given me a sense of importance. I like feeling like I matter, so even though it sucks to be that needed, at least it feels like the company really needs me.

The other one is a feeling of, "man, you people are screwed when I leave" and giggling about it while applying for new jobs.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #61379
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
At least there is a two part feeling you get from this. Being needed like that has always given me a sense of importance. I like feeling like I matter, so even though it sucks to be that needed, at least it feels like the company really needs me.

The other one is a feeling of, "man, you people are screwed when I leave" and giggling about it while applying for new jobs.
My mother told me to ignore this feeling, because after you leave someone else will replace you and that just meant they dont care about you as a person but you as a product. which is where I am currently. I dont mesh well, ive been called a "stressor" to being compared with something like a death in the family or giving anxiety

and im tired of being "the bad guy" by enforcing already standing policy and pushing people to make all our lives easier.

so dont think that they'll miss you or not miss you. your new job will want you.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #61380
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
My boss asked me if I'm done w certain project. I told her, I'm still catching up on all the projects while I was gone. She didn't get why I'm still doing it (I'm bout 3 days behind on that project), even though I've assigned coworkers work on it. I replied none of em did it while I was gone... that including her. She just reply back saying "Oh, I forgot about that." and went on her way... SMH
My gf is a PM she deals with these same type of useless mofos every single day at work.

I'm glad I don't have to deal with this type of bs. But this is also why I'm two pay bands below her at the company and have to work nights.

Either way this so-called "upstairs" love to threaten us with layoffs and outsourcing. The next round is coming real soon.

On the bright side I get to have my car back tmr. New parking brake shoes and rear rotors.
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
ichitaka05 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #61381
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,936 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
My mother told me to ignore this feeling, because after you leave someone else will replace you and that just meant they dont care about you as a person but you as a product. ....
Your Mom is exactly right. There is almost no one at a company that isn't replaceable. Chances are you replaced someone when you came onboard, and eventually someone will replace you. The machine will continue to roll on.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Clutch Dog (10-03-2019), soundman98 (10-04-2019), Spuds (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:32 PM   #61382
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
There is almost no one at a company that isn't replaceable.
Except for IBM mainframes and Breguet watches, at least from what I've heard and seen thus far.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (10-03-2019), Spuds (10-03-2019), Ultramaroon (10-04-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #61383
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
This is the reason I left my job the first time. Couldn't take a day off without being attached to my phone, doing 10 different things at once with no one else to cover for me. Don't know how I stuck it out so many years.
Since there is usually only one person in my field in each place I have ever worked this has been every vacation for 30 years now. Well 20 years I guess since the first 10 meant carrying a pager not a cell phone. The only thing I hated more than getting calls was not getting them. No calls meant either things were horribly wrong and nobody wanted to be the one to tell me or they were doing great and may decide I wasn’t needed anymore.
Clutch Dog (10-03-2019), Dadhawk (10-03-2019), humfrz (10-03-2019), NoHaveMSG (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 04:55 PM   #61384
Clutch Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Since there is usually only one person in my field in each place I have ever worked this has been every vacation for 30 years now. Well 20 years I guess since the first 10 meant carrying a pager not a cell phone. The only thing I hated more than getting calls was not getting them. No calls meant either things were horribly wrong and nobody wanted to be the one to tell me or they were doing great and may decide I wasn’t needed anymore.
I started this year with the mentality that "I dont want calls for work, for any reason. I should be getting paid to answer the phone"

and now we are screaming towards winter. my mentality is "if there are issues. call me. we can sort out an answer, but dont just sit on something"

I guess i got more tired of getting a general YFG speech than the behind the door, you did this wrong talk"
Old 10-03-2019, 05:00 PM   #61385
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Ah, that's one of the things I will not miss about my old job. ~3am Saturday/Sunday phone calls needing help right now. Had to have my laptop with me everywhere.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:31 PM   #61386
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'd send a couple checkup emails through the day to a couple different people. I guess that wasn't an easy option 20+ years ago. Silence certainly was not golden.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #61387
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
I'd send a couple checkup emails through the day to a couple different people. I guess that wasn't an easy option 20+ years ago. Silence certainly was not golden.
Yep You had to stop by and check in.
Old 10-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #61388
Nevermore
Wayward Member

Drives: Hot Lava 86
Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
My mother told me to ignore this feeling, because after you leave someone else will replace you and that just meant they dont care about you as a person but you as a product. which is where I am currently. I dont mesh well, ive been called a "stressor" to being compared with something like a death in the family or giving anxiety

and im tired of being "the bad guy" by enforcing already standing policy and pushing people to make all our lives easier.

so dont think that they'll miss you or not miss you. your new job will want you.
Don't mistake my meaning. I'm not saying that's a warm fuzzy feeling, like "aw, they're going to miss me" but more like they are going to have a hard time without me. Sure, I can be replaced. Easy. But until they replace me, they are going to have a rough time of it. Even if that isn't true, it's fun to think about while plotting your exit (ie revenge).
Old 10-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #61389
Clutch Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermore View Post
Don't mistake my meaning. I'm not saying that's a warm fuzzy feeling, like "aw, they're going to miss me" but more like they are going to have a hard time without me. Sure, I can be replaced. Easy. But until they replace me, they are going to have a rough time of it. Even if that isn't true, it's fun to think about while plotting your exit (ie revenge).
Oh believe me I am waiting. dying fo rthat first phone call after I leave asking me about something

"oh im sorry, i dont get paid for that anymore"
Old 10-03-2019, 06:02 PM   #61390
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I would... except there a tiny problem. I’m doing 3 full time & 2 part time staff’s plus few boss & supervisor’s work by myself, so it’s kinda hard to have a designated a second in command staff, cuz no one in my department can do it all my work. Hell, they can’t even do 10% of my work. So if I die or left, they’re screwed... LITERALLY
Well, first off, that sounds like their is a staffing problem in your part of the organization.

Secondly, any group manager should have a second in command. Just think what would happen in a military unit if there weren't a chain of command.

Maybe the designated second in command wouldn't be as effective, but it still they would be better than having no one in charge.

I'd suggest you be careful with the thought that you are indispensable -

I sure hope your work situation stabilizes, before you wind up burnt out -

humfrz
Closed Thread

Tags
aching balls, ass or gtfo, germanystrikesback, guff approved, human resources, i don't wanna go to prom, i lurk, i participated, i read this thread, i'm so gay, ichi has crabs, ichi is in denial, imanage can't manage, in god we thrust, me worry?, member berries, never forget, no politics, nothing for you!!!, nsfp, omg i can't catch up! :(, poo on my chest, post #696 review on ichi, sapphireho sucks!, specialk watches you post, special_k is a lurker, tcoat is as tcoat does, tcoat is dead, tcoat is jesus, tcoat is risen, tcoat returns, tcoat rules, tig ol bitties, tits or gtfo, trackmyfarts, tylerlieberman is a cuck, wubba lubba dub dubs!!!, y u do dis