follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Wil

Drives: Drives like a crab.
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[DIY] Fixing the LED turn signal initial delay

Hi everyone,

As you may have read, I've remplaced all the turn signals bulbs with LED and swapped the flasher on my GT86 (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...16#post2429616). Thing is, the new flasher does not hyperblink but it does have a "initial delay" meaning the first blink is much longer that the one following. This can be pretty annoying and I've decided I couldn't live with it because I'm really anal with details on my car.

LED drawing much less current than bulbs, I've come up with a really simple mod on the stock flasher of my GT86 (I believe it is the same flasher on the BRZ and FR-S). It is super simple and does exactly what you expect it to do: acting like your regular, stock bulbs used to.

All you need is :
-A soldering Iron
-A solder sucker
-A 0.12ohm min. 1W resistor
-Some solder

Here is the mod step by step :

1. Remove the flasher. See DiodeDynamics really well-explained video.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAEz3YC8SCA"]FR-S / BRZ Fix Turn LED Hyperblink with Flasher - YouTube[/ame]

2. Take it down.

3. Remove the stock "metal bar" which is actually a *approx.* 3ohm resistor.

4. Replace it with a 0.12ohm minimum 1W resistor. My local electronic shop only had 5W which are bigger. I recommend, if you can find some, to go with 1 or 2W so you can put back the grey plastic cover.

5. Put it back, smile, offer flowers to your wife and take your kids to disneyland.

Pro :
-Cheap ! Cheaper than replacing the stock flasher or adding resistors to every LED
-Safe ! Safer than adding resistors that can get SUPER hot and eventually set fire to you car and burn your entire neighbourhood.
-You feel like Einstein. Because DIY.

Since LED have a muuuuch longer lifespan than bulbs, you eventually don't need this feature indicating that one of your LED is dead. Just check it by yourself once in a while and it will by alright.

If you have any question, feel free to ask!
Have a nice day.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wil For This Useful Post:
kch (02-18-2016), Kodename47 (10-31-2015), ragequitfail (12-04-2015), stevesnj (11-21-2015), turbos86 (09-15-2016), Vin (03-29-2017)
Old 11-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #2
tCsonfrs

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #207
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Or you could just buy a tap a turn and be done in less than 5 minutes
tCsonfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Hi everyone,

As you may have read, I've remplaced all the turn signals bulbs with LED and swapped the flasher on my GT86 (http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...16#post2429616). Thing is, the new flasher does not hyperblink but it does have a "initial delay" meaning the first blink is much longer that the one following. This can be pretty annoying and I've decided I couldn't live with it because I'm really anal with details on my car.

LED drawing much less current than bulbs, I've come up with a really simple mod on the stock flasher of my GT86 (I believe it is the same flasher on the BRZ and FR-S). It is super simple and does exactly what you expect it to do: acting like your regular, stock bulbs used to.

All you need is :
-A soldering Iron
-A solder sucker
-Some solder

Here is the mod step by step :

1. Remove the flasher. See DiodeDynamics really well-explained video.

2. Take it down.

3. Remove the stock "metal bar" which is actually a *approx.* 3ohm resistor.

4. Replace it with a 0.12ohm minimum 1W resistor. My local electronic shop only had 5W which are bigger. I recommend, if you can find some, to go with 1 or 2W so you can put back the grey plastic cover.

5. Put it back, smile, offer flowers to your wife and take your kids to disneyland.

Pro :
-Cheap ! Cheaper than replacing the stock flasher or adding resistors to every LED
-Safe ! Safer than adding resistors that can get SUPER hot and eventually set fire to you car and burn your entire neighbourhood.
-You feel like Einstein. Because DIY.

Since LED have a muuuuch longer lifespan than bulbs, you eventually don't need this feature indicating that one of your LED is dead. Just check it by yourself once in a while and it will by alright.

If you have any question, feel free to ask!
Have a nice day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tCsonfrs View Post
Or you could just buy a tap a turn and be done in less than 5 minutes
Or save yourself a ton of money by doing what Mr. will is doing here. Tap a turn cost atleast $80 from most retailers.
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackJesus For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (11-20-2015)
Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 PM   #4
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
Or save yourself a ton of money by doing what Mr. will is doing here. Tap a turn cost atleast $80 from most retailers.
Right? I can't justify spending that much money on a relay just so the initial blink is proper. Prefer to save that money and put it towards other mods.
YamahaR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YamahaR86 For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (11-21-2015)
Old 11-21-2015, 12:09 AM   #5
tCsonfrs

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #207
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
Right? I can't justify spending that much money on a relay just so the initial blink is proper. Prefer to save that money and put it towards other mods.
It has other functions too lol
tCsonfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 08:21 AM   #6
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tCsonfrs View Post
It has other functions too lol
It does. It just seem kinda rude by the way you commented it lol. He actually put time to post a diy. DIY is for those who don't have money to spend haha
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:23 AM   #7
Stang70Fastback
A.K.A. Starlord

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Thanked 2,099 Times in 834 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
That is a neat mod for people who don't want all the Tap-Turn features. I like Tap-Turn, though

http://www.seriesblueadventures.com/...-relay-upgrade
Stang70Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #8
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Hi everyone,

All you need is :
-A soldering Iron
-A solder sucker
-Some solder.

Awesome! I been living with the delay and just signaling earlier but this is the most inexpensive solution. No way i'd buy an $80 relay and have the useless features i'd never use. Who would? But great idea. Thanks!

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
YamahaR86 (11-21-2015)
Old 12-04-2015, 12:59 PM   #9
ragequitfail

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Damn wish I found this thread before I put in the one that came with my toms. My relay was a pita to get out. At least the stock one is out so I can work on it.

Can you post a link to the resistor you recommend using? I might buy one at the store or online but I just want to make sure I know what it looks like so I buy the right one.
ragequitfail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #10
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
It's been a while since I've bought components, I assume that this will do:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/throug...stors/2942798/

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
ragequitfail (12-04-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #11
dawguy

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wanted to say this was very helpful. The delay was annoying me as well. One thing I ran into was I put in switchback led turn signal lights. When the turn signals lights are just the amber, the .12ohm was sufficient. But when the white light on the switchback is on, when the turn signal is engaged I get the hyper flash. I bought a bunch of the .12ohm resistors so I connected 2 in series to make up a total of .24ohm and that worked for the switchbacks. Wanted to share that in case anyone else runs into the same problem.
dawguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #12
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Finally got round to doing this as I'd lost my soldering iron. Thanks again!!

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #13
n0thing

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
having some trouble sourcing this particular resistor locally. just curious, why 0.12ohm and 1W? if the stock is 3ohm, don't we need more to counter hyperblink? does wattage matter? note that I currently have DD bulbs and flasher installed, but like to fix the initial delay as well.
n0thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #14
catsspat

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can measure the power consumption of the LED bulbs you're using and calculate a much more exact resistor value, as well as understand how much power the resistor needs to dissipate:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114284
catsspat is offline   Reply With Quote