follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #15
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Drives: 2014 Hachiroku of the year
Thanked 1,770 Times in 761 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
i have 6/7 on my AST 4150's. in love with that suspension, your 9/10 must be pretty stiff on the street!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #16
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,339 Times in 4,125 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
i have 6/7 on my AST 4150's. in love with that suspension, your 9/10 must be pretty stiff on the street!
I have 6k/6k atm with the Eibach sways. The Eibachs are towards the stiffest sway options available. I am hoping that the removal of the sways plus the higher spring rates won't be that big a jump in over all stiffness. Remains to be seen/felt.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:01 PM   #17
Vinnito1

Drives: 2014 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I run 8/8 on my MCS coilivers and think it's a good compromise for everyday driving. I can definitely feel the increased spring rates on bumpier roads. Driving impression with them on the track was awesome. The increase of control and confidence felt like I had upgraded tires. I really don't feel the need to increase roll resistance (sway bars) when on RS3s tires. I feel there would be no benefit due to their sidewall stiffness, but PSSs are a different story. An adjustable sway bar to would help me out to better tune oversteer/ understeer
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinnito1 For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-09-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 08:02 PM   #18
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Did you have these shock dyno'ed @Captain Snooze? and/or can find one? I've looked for one but I cant seem to find it.

I feel like we need atleast one rep from each of the big names on here that would help so much
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 01-09-2015, 11:15 PM   #19
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
Did you have these shock dyno'ed @Captain Snooze? and/or can find one? I've looked for one but I cant seem to find it.

I feel like we need atleast one rep from each of the big names on here that would help so much
I didn't ask for a dyno for a couple of reasons that come to mind as I write this.
1/ I don't think a dyno sheet will tell me what they would be like to drive on. That is, the numbers don't convey the experience.
2/ I wouldn't know how to relate the information given on a dyno sheet to real world application.
3/ Given that each damper is made to order any dyno posted is only applicable for that car on those spring rates.
4/ I didn't think of it :|

I have just emailed the distributor asking for dyno sheets and will post his reply.

Last edited by Captain Snooze; 01-10-2015 at 05:58 AM. Reason: emailed distributor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Cole (12-03-2015), CSG Mike (01-10-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 06:25 AM   #20
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Hey atleast we can kinda cyber buttdyno it ourselves with your "custom setup" that you got goin on if we get a dyno sheet
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
Old 01-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #21
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
I have 6k/6k atm with the Eibach sways. The Eibachs are towards the stiffest sway options available. I am hoping that the removal of the sways plus the higher spring rates won't be that big a jump in over all stiffness. Remains to be seen/felt.
i have a lot of bushings done but no sway bars...can't decide if i want them though, you're swaying me not to haha.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:58 AM   #22
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Quote:
i have a lot of bushings done but no sway bars...can't decide if i want them though, you're swaying me not to haha.
As my avatar says everything's a compromise.
On the plus side ways are a relatively inexpensive for noticeable gains.
On the minus side not only do I feel cross talk at the front but I get this weird slow speed waggle at the rear on quick medium radius bends. I am hypothesing (I can't stress that enough) that it is the rear sway loading and unloading side to side. Maybe it is a positive feed back of the rear spring rate and the sway bar rate. I do not know. I haven't read of this else where. These negative points are not significant on public roads. I do not get this waggle at the track.

Given the range of sway rates available and the possible spring combinations available I am thinking choosing the "right" sway bar is a bit of a gamble. (I have seen some math that is just plain scary http://www.optimumg.com/docs/Springs...Tech_Tip_2.pdf )

Useless statement coming up.
If you track your car sways might be advantageous and if you didn't like them you could always sell them only taking a small loss.

The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Jive Turkey (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 03:30 AM   #23
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Best coils under a grand threads go for pages and this might be lucky to get to page two. Says a little bit about the community I think.
Calum (01-13-2015), CSG Mike (01-11-2015), DustinS (02-06-2015), Hyper4mance2k (02-25-2015), JDKane527 (01-13-2015), Jive Turkey (02-02-2015), Ultramaroon (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #24
Jive Turkey
the tuna, no crust.

the thing is though, at track my car feels excellent, at auto x is where i really really feel that a front bar would help me out a lot.

but then i drive it on the street and i don't care anymore

something in me just wants to keep interring though, but i should really leave it alone, its hell of a car already.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jive Turkey For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-11-2015), CSG Mike (01-11-2015), Teseo (01-11-2015), Ultramaroon (02-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #25
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
the thing is though, at track my car feels excellent, at auto x is where i really really feel that a front bar would help me out a lot.
Quick, rough, heavy steering inputs, vs slower, controlled inputs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Jive Turkey (01-12-2015), Ultramaroon (02-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #26
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I suspect those spring rates won't get you what you want without a swaybar - however, I like your approach. Very interested in how this works out for you since I'll probably start at 9k/10k but will keep the stock sways (not AST's, mind.)

I'll be tuning for AutoX though, so will still likely end up in a different place. I was originally going to start at 10k all around but have been convinced to try a little less forward bias to start (assuming my math was right in the first place.)

I assume the rear end waggle is with the nannies off? The first few times I ran into the influence of the nannies it was more than a little waggle, very disconcerting. I was coming from a (lightly tuned, all strut no spring so horrible ride) FWD (ACR) though. Maybe somewhere between the thorsen and traction control? I can imagine a way no rear sway has potential to help that if you've got the droop travel, but not sure if it actually works that way. Don't remember if you've a clutch-type diff or the stock unit.

The math is a lot less scary once you plug in the known values. Even better if you can find a spreadsheet or similar that hides it all from you... enter the variables and see how it works out. I haven't found anything like that, am almost tempted to see about putting something together - I suspect others would have done so already if it were that easy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-11-2015), CSG Mike (01-12-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #27
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
As my avatar says everything's a compromise.
On the plus side ways are a relatively inexpensive for noticeable gains.
On the minus side not only do I feel cross talk at the front but I get this weird slow speed waggle at the rear on quick medium radius bends. I am hypothesing (I can't stress that enough) that it is the rear sway loading and unloading side to side. Maybe it is a positive feed back of the rear spring rate and the sway bar rate. I do not know. I haven't read of this else where. These negative points are not significant on public roads. I do not get this waggle at the track.

Given the range of sway rates available and the possible spring combinations available I am thinking choosing the "right" sway bar is a bit of a gamble. (I have seen some math that is just plain scary http://www.optimumg.com/docs/Springs...Tech_Tip_2.pdf )

Useless statement coming up.
If you track your car sways might be advantageous and if you didn't like them you could always sell them only taking a small loss.
I had a lot of rear end "waggle" in certain situations on and off the [short] track with stock suspension. You may not get the "waggle" on track because the bushings could be loading and unloading (probably crushed) slowly. The stock bushing setup seems prone to a certain frequency of loading/unloading. In my case, the problem was almost entirely fixed with a set of these:

Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushing Inserts

That is until recently, as now my rear shocks are completely gone. (This is the reason I am reading lots of posts about my suspension options – the fronts are almost as bad too.) Whiteline also has a newer kit that may also work well:

Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings

Same idea, just a more comprehensive solution. Both of these should be readily available in Australia .

Also, I have found that the car GREATLY benefits from this front brace:

Carbing Front Crossmember Brace

If this is too difficult to source locally, there are a few other companies that make somewhat similar products if you cannot find someone that sells this one. I had to go with this vendor's site to show the product on this one as I could not find a Carbing company site that showed the product.

The Following User Says Thank You to Black Tire For This Useful Post:
Captain Snooze (01-11-2015)
Old 01-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #28
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Mmmm... I can't quote you Black Tire

I had the rear sub-frame bushes replaced a while back (full bushes,not the inserts). I have thought about the front subframe brace but I hadn't read of any benefit so I hadn't pursued it. I had alloy steering rack mounts installed but I couldn't tell any difference.

I have considered these as well but once again have not read of any reviews.
http://www.gtspec.com/product/gtspec...r-s-gt86-ft-86

I might have to put that front brace on the shopping list but the law of diminishing returns and diminishing wallet have prevented me so far.

Closed Thread