follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 07-05-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
Wayno

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS
Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
We already knew it is a hardware issue, so doing all this didn't give you any more information, just wasted 2 flashes.

Your assumption that the problem won't arise again is based on fluke.

Don't know why people come on here asking for advice, which they then ignore outright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frs30 View Post
Hey everyone. I wanted to wait a few days before posting this, just in case it was a fluke. On Friday morning I went out to my car and started it up and it ran horrible and was misfiring and throwing the code again after I had cleared it. I figured it couldn't hurt to test my theory and reflash a stage 1 tune on it again and then flash back to stock and see if it still misfired and threw the code. I flashed it to a stage 1 93 octane tune, started it up and it still ran like crap and threw a code. I then re flashed it back to stock again but this time after the tune, I turned the key to the on position and waited a minute, then started the car. It misfired for 10 seconds while it idled and then immediately stopped and started running how it used to. I let it idle for two minutes, then drove it for 5 miles under 4000rpm, then drove it normally for Friday and Saturday and so far I've put 50 miles on it and it hasn't acted up since. Could it have just been a bad flash? I went so far as to make an appointment with the dealer on Monday since it was under warranty and didn't want start swapping coils so the dealer could yell at me, but now it looks to be operating correctly. I'll keep you posted but I wanted to share. I'm hoping with it being driven 50 miles since it happened that I can assume it won't arise again.
Wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 10:31 PM   #16
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Op take it to the dealership with the CEL light on. You're probably doing more harm than good by driving it.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:40 PM   #17
Sexyeve
86 Fanatic

Drives: 2013 firestorm 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayno View Post
We already knew it is a hardware issue, so doing all this didn't give you any more information, just wasted 2 flashes.

Your assumption that the problem won't arise again is based on fluke.

Don't know why people come on here asking for advice, which they then ignore outright.
Give the guy a break and don't be so harsh FGS.
Waste flashes ??
Sexyeve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sexyeve For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 AM   #18
Frs30

Drives: 2013 Fr-s Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ok well first of all, if it were a hardware issue then it would be misfiring no matter what flash is on it because in order for the engine to run any tune it needs all 4 coil packs to work as designed. Just because I flash another tune on there which basically just advances timing etc, wouldn't magically make the coil pack repair itself. #2 There isn't any such thing as "wasting a flash" unless I were to unmarry it from my car (which I didn't) and then remarry it to my car, I simply flashed a stage 1 map, and then re flashed the original tune that was already on the OFT from the beginning. I've put almost 70 miles on it and it drives exactly how it did the day I bought the car, no engine light, no rough idling, no misfiring. So unless you can explain to me how flashing the stock tune back on it again is magically making the "Broken" coil pack or any sensor make my car not misfire without it had being replaced, id appreciate it if you'd leave out the insult. thanks
Frs30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:06 PM   #19
SteveIsBored

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Ok well first of all, if it were a hardware issue then it would be misfiring no matter what flash is on it because in order for the engine to run any tune it needs all 4 coil packs to work as designed. Just because I flash another tune on there which basically just advances timing etc, wouldn't magically make the coil pack repair itself. #2 There isn't any such thing as "wasting a flash" unless I were to unmarry it from my car (which I didn't) and then remarry it to my car, I simply flashed a stage 1 map, and then re flashed the original tune that was already on the OFT from the beginning. I've put almost 70 miles on it and it drives exactly how it did the day I bought the car, no engine light, no rough idling, no misfiring. So unless you can explain to me how flashing the stock tune back on it again is magically making the "Broken" coil pack or any sensor make my car not misfire without it had being replaced, id appreciate it if you'd leave out the insult. thanks
You could have an intermittent coil pack failure, I wouldn't rule it out completely yet. The ecu can only be flashed a certain amount of times but that number is probably in the thousands.
SteveIsBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:58 PM   #20
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
When you flash ecu it also resets ecu and all ccounters and dtc\cel codes are reset as well as heaps of other stuff like missfire ..counts

As above the coil pack may be interrmittent and only fail under high load or high heat.
And it may be not accumulated the missfire count yet.

Once the dtc\cel code is tiggeredit canput car in low power limp home mode, this is also reset when ecu is reset dtc\cels cleared or ecu refashed.

The tuned rom may put more stress on the coil pack, mainly because you probably drive it harder.

its likely it will return
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #21
Frs30

Drives: 2013 Fr-s Hot Lava
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah I've only flashed it 3 times. Thanks
Frs30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:26 AM   #22
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
Yeah I've only flashed it 3 times. Thanks
might also be cam actuator issue, tuned roms ask more of cam acuators than stock tune so it may not return on stock tune

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...82&postcount=8
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oft, open flash tablet, p0304, rough idle, tune