follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #15
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had a Challenger, wouldn't get another one unless it was meant to be a highway cruiser. For big, open road cruising it truly excels but around town it's bulky and for NYC traffic it's too wide to fit through a lot of spaces so patience will be a virtue. If it was me I'd be thinking Focus RS or a couple of year old WRX hatch. Be aware though that there's a fair chance the WRX will get stolen while, depending on color, the Focus totally blends into a crowd.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #16
Antonovich

Drives: '13 BRZ, 04 rust bucket Suburban
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost of Akina View Post
It sounds like you are bored with this car and looking for that next thrill, save some $ buy a motorcycle for your fun and sedan/suv for practical needs.
I actually just got my motorcycle permit and was looking to get a Ninja 650 as a starter bike. Though a Hayabusa is very tempting. But I don't know if I actually want to get a bike. I mean I already have a pretty dangerous job - truck driver, frequently pulling doubles; so I don't want to kill myself too fast. Maybe you're right, maybe I am just bored with the car. Maybe getting some UEL headers, a catback, and a tune will spice things up.

And for others, the reason I'm looking at a Challenger VS a Mustang GT is that it seems to have more room inside than a Mustang. The latest Mustangs are gorgeous though, one of the best looking cars out there. I'd say looks way better than the twins. Though I do also like the old school look of the Challenger.
Antonovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #17
Antonovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I had a Challenger, wouldn't get another one unless it was meant to be a highway cruiser. For big, open road cruising it truly excels but around town it's bulky and for NYC traffic it's too wide to fit through a lot of spaces so patience will be a virtue. If it was me I'd be thinking Focus RS or a couple of year old WRX hatch. Be aware though that there's a fair chance the WRX will get stolen while, depending on color, the Focus totally blends into a crowd.
I really don't mind driving a big car around NYC. I drive a semi-truck for living around NY, NJ, CT. That won't be an issue. I really hate the look of those older WRX hatches. The Focus RS is a bit above my budget. I mean I could get it financed sure, but still. Would prefer something around 25k. Which is what these modern used muscle cars usually go for.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #18
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonovich View Post
And for others, the reason I'm looking at a Challenger VS a Mustang GT is that it seems to have more room inside than a Mustang.
do you wear running shoes loosely?
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:54 PM   #19
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Phantobe (04-28-2017), soulreapersteve (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 07:06 PM   #20
etherdude

Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition, 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
My son has a Challenger with 6 speed manual. He loves it and like me with my FR-S, drives it year round. One BIG difference between the Challenger and the other two (Camaro/Mustang) is that the Challenger is quite a bit bigger from the B-pillar back. The rear seating (once you get there) is actually somewhat useful and the trunk is a LOT bigger than the Camaro and Mustang. So if you are trying to maintain a minimum of practicality, the Challenger has some advantages.

Of course I would never want any of them over my FR-S!
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to etherdude For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #21
airjonny

Drives: Nissan Murano
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'd look at the Mustang. I'm still leaning hard for the BRZ/86, but the GT has been on my mind lately. Idk if I could handle 400+ hp tho.
airjonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 PM   #22
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I don't know how bad is the road surface on NYC, my car ride smooth with stock and my tein z coilover. I personally won't go for challenger because of the look, the space, and the weight. I would rather get a sti or wrx instead if you are looking for faster car and spacious.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #23
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post
when people say our twins ride harshly what are they comparing it to? i have never understood that complaint, sure the twins with the stock suspension aren't plush but they are far from being really stiff compared to most coupes..
Drive a GT3 and report back on harsh rides. Get a Mercedes if you want comfort.....
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
HKz (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:22 PM   #24
Antonovich

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
One BIG difference between the Challenger and the other two (Camaro/Mustang) is that the Challenger is quite a bit bigger from the B-pillar back. The rear seating (once you get there) is actually somewhat useful and the trunk is a LOT bigger than the Camaro and Mustang. So if you are trying to maintain a minimum of practicality, the Challenger has some advantages.
And that's exactly why I'm looking at the Challenger VS others. Thank you for confirming that!
Old 04-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #25
Jegan_V

Drives: 2023 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not really bashing your choice more so providing the reality. I used a Challenger in a mail run recently and if you were going with one for practicality...despite how gigantic it is...it kind of sucks there. Trunk is not as big as I was hoping for and its even more finicky to get stuff in the rear seats. Awful car to park too due to crappy sight lines. If you thought the 86 had blindspots this car has that with even less sight and a far bigger body.

To drive, if you were hoping for some sports car feel...you just won't get that from a Challenger. Closest things to it(other than the Charger) are stuff like the previous Impala, big Buicks, the old people's Cadillac like DTS or XTS. That said it looks way better than those...but you'll find a sportier ride from a Camry because the Challenger hates corners. Its great weight is felt far more than the Mustang or even the Camaro. In a straight line though, its very sturdy, comfortable and smooth. If you wanted a highway cruiser coupe, this is a very good one. I actually think a manual transmission is pointless for it...the areas its really good at...you probably won't need to shift at all, but you will want cruise control.

It very much sticks to a more traditional muscle car mentality. Lots of straight line power, awful at corners. Now, this one is also a highway cruiser. The thing about highway cruisers...I like riding in them...I don't like driving them. My dad has a Toyota Avalon, a Camry set up for that sort of driving and I don't like driving it at all, but to be a passenger in, that's the best place to be in that car. The 86s on the other hand, definitely way better to drive, probably wouldn't want to be a passenger...although I've had no complaints from people I've given rides.
Jegan_V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jegan_V For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-29-2017), Tcoat (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #26
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Oh, I suggest you go for it ........ it's not like you have to keep it forever .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #27
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The brz is fun to drive and the challenger will be hectic to drive!
Surely a larger car needs a larger parking space!
Both Sydney and NYC are parking space challenged!
I am so frustrated driving in circles looking for parking , that my next car could be a suzuki jimny , so i can rock crawl into unwanted parking spaces around building sites.
They are reinstalling light rail trams and building vertically around Sydney causing an absolute mess.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alan.chalkley For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 PM   #28
Votlon

Drives: Scion FRS || Ducati 899
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Don't do it, I gave up my srt8 charger to come to the 86 platform. Lighter is always better.

You may beat someone on the freeway with an r/t but you will realize your driving a boat. Cuz the challanger 2 door weighs just as much as a 4 door charger, but the charger has much better aero
Votlon is offline   Reply With Quote