follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2019, 12:45 AM   #29
Stomachbuzz

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
the lower control arm is essentially a two force arm and only needs a radial rating, really. The axial load is handled by the toe arm.
A two-force member is a tension/compression link only, which would be purely axial loading.
Not sure what you're saying here.

Quote:
Nope. That is a rod end. Possibly made by Heim, or one of a bunch of other manufacturers. Aurora doesn't sell Heim joints, they sell spherical rod ends.

....?

Funniest part is I had no idea what a heim joint was until I searched it. Upon which the results were pretty much 100% what was supplied earlier as a heim joint.
Stomachbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:26 AM   #30
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Rod end bearing.....

Or

It's a "pillow ball rose joint".

Or, because it's a big world...

A rod end bearing, also known as a heim joint (N. America) or rose joint (U.K. and elsewhere), is a mechanical articulating joint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_end_bearing

Or, squeaky noisy joints that wear out pretty quick if you dont look after them.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
venturaII (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:04 AM   #31
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,474 Times in 4,995 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_bearing

Sticking a thread on it doesn't make it not a spherical bearing.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
venturaII (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #32
steverife

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This argument is confusing.

A rod end is a spherical bearing, but a spherical bearing isn't necessarily a rod end. And if you refer to a rod end as a spherical bearing, you will likely confuse people and/or not get what you want.

It is kind of like asphalt concrete. Asphalt is concrete, but if you say concrete, you aren't going to end up with asphalt.
steverife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steverife For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #33
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomachbuzz View Post
A two-force member is a tension/compression link only, which would be purely axial loading.
Not sure what you're saying here.

Funniest part is I had no idea what a heim joint was until I searched it. Upon which the results were pretty much 100% what was supplied earlier as a heim joint.
Yeah, that's not correct. Rod ends and other 'Heim' style spherical joints are radially rated, not axially.

"Dynamic Load Rating for Spherical Plain Bearings
Dynamic load rating is used for calculations when the spherical plain bearing is subjected to dynamic stress. It represents the load, constant in magnitude and direction, under which a basic rating service life, expressed as a sliding distance, will be attained for continuous oscillating movement at a defined sliding velocity and at room temperature. It presupposes that the load acting on radial and angular spherical plain bearings and on rod ends is purely radial and that the load acting on spherical plain thrust bearings is purely axial and acts centrically. "

Last edited by venturaII; 12-24-2019 at 08:15 AM.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 10:00 AM   #34
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverife View Post
This argument is confusing.

A rod end is a spherical bearing, but a spherical bearing isn't necessarily a rod end. And if you refer to a rod end as a spherical bearing, you will likely confuse people and/or not get what you want.

It is kind of like asphalt concrete. Asphalt is concrete, but if you say concrete, you aren't going to end up with asphalt.

There's a lot of people still confused about terminology, apparently. You're correct that a rod end is a spherical bearing; it simply has a male or female threaded end attached to it for ease of use.

"Rod ends consist of an eye-shaped head with integral shank forming a housing and a standard spherical plain bearing, or a spherical plain bearing inner ring, or a spherical plain bearing inner ring and a sliding layer between the bore of the head and the inner ring."

Pointing to a rod end and calling it a spherical bearing doesn't confuse anyone who works with them, other than "rod end" rolls off the tongue a bit easier.

Heim is a company who make rod ends and other types of spherical bearings. Aurora is another company who make them AST is another. They are brands, not functional descriptions. If you say "Heim", I'm going to assume you specifically mean that brand.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #35
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
Or, squeaky noisy joints that wear out pretty quick if you dont look after them.

Precisely why I didn't want them if I could avoid it. Thankfully, these appear to be weatherproofed pretty well. And now that I said that, they're gonna start clunking...
Ultramaroon (12-20-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 11:21 AM   #36
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
What's yer rear camber now? With camber bolts you won't have a bunch of front camber anyway, IMO just leave rear stock and balance should be fine.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #37
JBezugs
Good Job Subaru!

Drives: Green '17 BRZ Sport-Tech MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
They seem to be holding up as well as any other stamped steel arm would. I was able to get the alignment numbers I wanted, they installed super easy, they haven't fallen off the car...not sure what else to say?It's not a bling part, but considering i DD my car in the rust/snow belt, chassis bling is kind of pointless. It does what I wanted for short money. I'd buy 'em again.
Noted, thanks for your feedback! Just wanted to see if you had any issues with alignment slip or the bushings considering the price - but these seem to be a steal. Theres a few people in my group locally who have been tracking with these as well for a while and no weird issues. I just ordered a set. Can't beat it for 1/3'd of the cost of the SPC/Moog product.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #38
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
What's yer rear camber now? With camber bolts you won't have a bunch of front camber anyway, IMO just leave rear stock and balance should be fine.
Mine? I'd have to look it up again, but I'm in the ballpark of 2.6-2.7 FT, 2.2-2.4 RR, and pretty much zero toe at both ends. I'm using bolts up front, plus slotted the OEM strut body a bit to get those numbers. The aftermarket rear arms were duck soup, and the rear is much more planted now with the additional camber, without losing any of the dynamic feel I like. My tire wear is damn near perfect too.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #39
Danny318

Drives: 2019 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do you know if the rear LCA are the same in all years or did they change at some point. Rock auto doesnt list anything for 2019 but does for 2013
Danny318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #40
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
#Calum On the rear??????

#JBezugs I had issues with designs typical to the blox seizing and chewing out the thread. Maybe their materials have improved.
Yup. Just replace the inner bolt on the lower control arm.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote