follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2017, 09:58 AM   #533
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,392 Times in 800 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Well this weekend was a pain. Engine came out and back in a few times. The transmission mounts were terrible to work with. Either the part that bolts to the transmission is too narrow, or my trans tunnel is wider than their test car/jig.

Also noted that the mounts hit the speed sensor, I don't think we need it, but still unfortunate. (Terrible picture) edit: Being told it would be best to wire it into the GM ECU... REALLY don't want to pull the engine/trans again, so Going to try and figure something out to get a plug on it.

Sway Bar removed

Ran into some fitment issues with my headers on the heads. I found out the TSP Engines come with 6 bolt heads. So had to shave down the tabs to clear header.

Testing forward facing orientation on the headers.

Looked to be great until I tried fitting the alternator and A/C Compressor. That is where I learned the A/C compressor bracket hits the dip stick and the header outlet. Alternator hit header outlet. So headers need fit in correct orientation and driver side modified. Also need the Holley spark plug wires to fit.

At this point, Transmission is still hitting trans tunnel in two places - Reverse lockout and reverse light switch. I ground the reverse light switch guards a few times, but apparently not enough. I also tried hammering enough space for the reverse lockout, but I couldn't get it to move. Leaving it as is and moving on. Plan today is to get headers on, measure for driveshaft, get engine wired. Had to order Water pump bolts because I forgot I needed them.

I got the QuikLatch Hood pins installed as well. I Love them so far.

Edit: Driveshaft ordered. Should be ready Friday.

Last edited by DustinS; 04-25-2017 at 02:34 PM.
DustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #534
DustinS

Got a little bit of work done last night. I rechecked the driveshaft length and found it was 43 3/4" from end of tailshaft to diff flange, or at least this time it was haha.

Got the headers flipped around and the driver side cut. Made a slight mistake as it slipped a tiny bit in the saw and started cutting crooked, so that will need a little more attention with the welder.

It is still a very tight fit between the merge and steering shaft, 2.5" tubing is all that is going to fit, and that is still going to be a bit of work. (couldn't get a good shot last night as it was a bit too dark)

Passenger side has more than enough room for anything you could need.

I also got surprised with a present while working on my brother car...

Super excited to get this fit up when the car is back together.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #535
DustinS

Storming so I only got a little bit done last night. Wrapped the passenger side manifold. That was a nightmare. Assembled the fuel rails, and the pressure regulator.

[/url]

[/url]

[/url]
Old 04-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #536
DustinS

Worked on the car more last night.

Got the tunnel cut. I took a video instead just pictures, but I will toss some pictures I stole from the video until video is finished.

Used Grinder with cut off wheel to make the side cuts, and dremel to make the top cut. Bent it down and used dremel to cut the opposite side top from back side.

[/url]

Cleaned it up, hammered everything down and painted it (not cleaned or painted here)

Stainless Waterpump bolts.

Wired up!

Only issue is that the engine side of the harness is the one that passes through the firewall, so I have to under the harness -_- . Luckily it is really easy. Everything fits the transmission except the Speed Sensor plug, because the Trans uses a ford VSS. I have ordered the pigtail to fix that.

Not sure what the plug on the right goes to. Need to figure that out.

Now the difficult part of the body side of the harness.

Came with it's own Fuel Pump relay

I got the invoice for the rest of the payment for the MRS Canbus device. Excited to get that. I also bought a swivel thermostat housing, hoping it doesn't leak haha.

Looking at the harness and noticed the Back up lights and neutral position wires I left by the trans tunnel need moved. So I have to tear apart the wiring harness and pull those through the firewall. Joy.

Driveshaft is in. I really like it, and they were really interested in the project.

Went to slide under the car (which may have been a mistake, the storms have covered the parking pad/driveway in a nice thin coat of mud. Didn't seem to get any on me this time) and found I couldn't get the driveshaft into the transmission. Had a mini-freak out session. I was trying to figure what I did wrong, or if I forgot something. It was hitting the body, but didn't think it was enough. Well it was...

Slight Persuasion upward on this body panel (part the old carrier bearing bolted to) with a small sledge and the driveshaft slid right in.

Checking clearance around the driveshaft and it is pretty tight. Nothing should be an issue except maybe the two center bolts. May remove and cut shorter, or source slightly shorter bolts:

and she is in:

Old 05-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #537
DustinS

Got more done tonight. Plan was to do the relays and wiring, but I got distracted with fuel system stuff. Rest of the fuel line should be here tomorrow. Hopefully should be enough for the full feed and return.

Was fitting the fuel rails and ran into an issue (seems to be a common thing with my build)

Found the intake cover was interfering with the allen head bolts mounting the rails to the mounting tab.

I ground down the lip so the allen head bolts could push the plastic down and allow the rail to sit correctly.

Got it all installed and got the cross over line done. On this platform, I think it best to use a 45 on the driver side, and 90 passenger. Keep it as close to the engine as possible. There isn't any room above the intake cover as the hood is RIGHT there. Better picture when it isn't super dark out.

Here is the decision making time. I am trying to incorporate the Flex-Fuel Sensor in the loop. Which is quite difficult with how large it is, and how long the fittings are. I think I can come off the back of the passenger fuel rail, along the firewall -> Behind Brake Booster -> Flex Fuel Sensor -> Fuel Pressure Regulator -> Return to tank:

90 into FFS

90 out of FFS into regulator

Out of regulator to tank

I want to eventually change this up, I hate how this looks. Don't see anywhere else for it to go at this point.

I also got the clutch line run. It's 3' long and that is too long. Have to push it over the transmission.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:30 PM   #538
Travisty75

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I love seeing the updates and the frequent posts! Super geeked to see were this project takes you as this is likely the direction I'll be going with my car once I move to a more mod-friendly state.
Travisty75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travisty75 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #539
DustinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisty75 View Post
I love seeing the updates and the frequent posts! Super geeked to see were this project takes you as this is likely the direction I'll be going with my car once I move to a more mod-friendly state.
Thank You! I am excited to see the difference between a stock FRS and even the way the car was turbo.

Update: Got my Vibrant fuel hose last night. I like it because it's black with a Blue tracer, and E85 compatible. It seems no one stocks it though. Took forever for it come in. Hopefully get the fuel system complete today.

Yesterday was pouring rain and cold, but I still wanted to get something done. Anything. So I Tossed the radiator in real quick and got a quick measurement for custom mounts. Hopefully they work well.

Come straight out from the body

Weld this tab at the correct angle and drill a hole for the factory bushing to fit into it.

Edit: @all4spl had a great idea to use one of the "Drift Bar" crash beam replacements as a mount for the radiator that will be more out of the way and look better. So I have ordered one of those. 1-3 week wait haha. Car should be running by then. So I will still probably make my mounts as a temp solution.

Last edited by DustinS; 05-04-2017 at 10:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DustinS For This Useful Post:
Sportsguy83 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #540
Cockatoo
TALLY FT86

Drives: 2014 FR-S Monogram -- SBD Turbo --
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
LOVING THIS!
Cockatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cockatoo For This Useful Post:
DustinS (05-04-2017)
Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 AM   #541
DustinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRS-Colin View Post
Battery charge and oil pressure are still analog signals to the dash! I cant control them through CAN!
Awesome thanks!! Kind of what I assumed. Not worried about oil pressure light. Only told you once it's too late. That is what aftermarket oil pressure gauge is for.

Looks like the "L" signal wires from alternator will tie directly into the "L" Signal wire headed into FRS Gauge cluster. Sounds easy enough. Hopefully find out tomorrow.

Got a little bit of work done today: Return Style system finished up. I was going to "vlog" the day, but couldn't find my go pro mount and forgot about it after the fuel pump modifications. So I have pictures to grab out of that video.

Here is the start of when I was taking pictures. Bulkhead Fitting

Got both feed and return lines made up. Pretty happy with them. Feed line could be a tiny bit longer. I may switch to -8an down the road, so I will remember that.

I hit a snag when I went to put one of the old flex fuel fittings onto the new Vibrant hose... It didn't fit... I found the Vibrant Hose/hose ends are larger than Russels fittings that Moto-East uses with their kits. Being that I only had straight fittings, and no "EFI" fittings for the flex fuel sensor itself. I decided not to run it. GM specific fee fuel sensors are cheap and a lot smaller than the one Motoeast uses, so I might just get one of those. Time will tell. Because of that mess up, I need to redo the fuel rail to fuel pressure regulator line tomorrow.

As it got dark out, I put everything away and pulled the intake. Brought it inside for thermal sheet on the bottom. Two tests of this - one on LS engine, one on a ford engine - have been done, both made more than 15whp more on the dyno. Take that with a grain of salt, but I had the stuff on hand, so why not. Couldn't hurt.

Going to remove and paint the throttle body and hopefully water pump/thermostat housing tomorrow as well as finish up the wiring portion.

Pictures of the fuel lines under the car:

Last edited by DustinS; 05-05-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #542
DustinS

Edit: This post is all over the place. I apologize. I am also going to point out the Fan Relay wiring better later.

Decent update for today. Unfortunately I had a birthday party on Saturday, and Graduation party on Sunday, both of which interfered with progress.

Got all but my Ignition wire ran and installed. I ran the Battery, Ignition, Fan Relay, and reverse light wires back through the factory firewall grommet. Used one of the battery points in the fuse box for batter power. Used the factory Fan relays to control the fans.

Using the factory Relays is kind of a pain. The factory uses Three Relays to run the two fans. Fan relay one runs Primary Fan, Fan Relay Two Grounds the second Fan, and fan relay three controls positive side of second fan. So I removed Fan relay two and attached the main wires together to allow ground to second fan at all times. This allows GM ECU to control Fan Relay 1 as Primary Fan, and Fan relay 3 as secondary fan.

Was pulling the Alternator off to paint the bracket and somehow the alternator took a tumble. It felt like someone shoved it out of my hand once I got the last bolt undone.

Got the Throttle body, Waterpump, and Alternator bracket painted.

Got the positive wire to starter hooked up, which factory wire works perfect.

Fuel Pump Power wire. I just cut the pump off the controller. Grounded the ground wire, and attached the power wire. I did notice the area behind the interior panels in the back get FILTHY. I also ran into the issue of wrapping the wire around the seat belt somehow, so I had to remove that.

Alternator wire. The lugs I got were too large to fit in the factory fuse box, so I attached the new wire at the end of the factory one and may have over taped it... I plan to route it through frame at the bottom front of the car, so I wanted to make sure it wouldn't rub through. I am adding edge trim to the edges as well, so Should be perfectly fine.

I also removed the stock alternator plug. I moved the two unused wires into the fuse box, and routed the "L" wire back into the cabin and attached it to the GM ECU "L" wire for the factory gauge cluster.

Got the Vacuum hose on the FPR, I need to get a better set-up, but this will work for now.

Got the Clutch Master fixed up. There is almost no room for the lid, but it works. Drilled out the factory clevis, welded a nut the correct thread pitch on it, and used another as a jam nut. It is adjusted all the way out until I find out where I need to set it. Will get a picture today.

Engine is starting to look complete (and good).

On to exhaust work... A GIANT Pain. I Figured I could get a bend that was tight enough to clear the steering shaft, I thought wrong. Ended up tacking a bend on the end, and working to get a piece to fit in it.

This is what I came out with:

and a sort of plug/patch. I was still working on it at this point.

That was until I checked to make sure that it was good before welding it up...

It was SUPER close to steering shaft. So I bent it to where it needed to be, and where it would clear the steering shaft and gave enough room for brake lines...

That is pretty much where I stopped. I was able to take a half day today. So at noon I am headed home to get back to work haha.

Still not sure how to go about the ignition wire for the GM ECU. I need/want to find a good source in the fuse box, and most likely use a relay to get a bigger power wire hooked up. That is the only thing stopping me from starting it at this point. Well that and no radiator hooked up, but still working on mounting. Waiting on Drift Bar, hoping it gets shipped this week. Really wanting to get the car Driving by next week. Can Bus device was said to be shipped out end of last week, but I have a feeling it may go out this week as I got no tracking info, not a big deal.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:13 AM   #543
DustinS

Got more work done yesterday, though It really doesn't look like it. The exhaust took a long time. I though I had it perfect, and it turned out it hit the steering shaft -_- So I had to modify it and needed a flange. No One in town had a good priced flange, so I had to order some. Anyway on to the few pictures I took. Worked on the car from 12 until almost 8:30

Made a new exhaust plug, Fit pretty well with very little mods:

Clearance at the steering shaft and Brake Lines. 3" would be crazy close. Not sure how much the engine is going to move (I assume very little) but that may be an issue.

Got the belt on. So to delete power steering you need the extra ribbed pulley and it needs a spacer and bushing. Spacer moves it away from engine to align with the belt, and the bushing centers the pulley on the bolt. I wasn't looking forward to making that up. Turns out the CTS-V Drive kit I bought puts a Smooth Pulley in the place I needed my ribbed one. Had the bushing in it from the factory. Tapped it out with a hammer and a 1/2 extension and tapped it into the ribbed pulley. For the spacer I used two washers. Super simple and very solid. No A/C for now as I need to find out what to do with the Dip Stick. The A/C Compressor bracket hits the dip stick and I can only imagine the compressor does as well.

Can see the Chipped pulley on the alternator, I smoothed the metal where it broke off to stop any wear on the belt. It is only temporary until the new pulley comes in.

Radiator mounting... Ended up being a lot more simple for the time being. I wasn't expecting the bash bar anytime soon as they are made to order. So I just made a simple mount till it comes in. I got notified of a package coming in from Kentucky tomorrow, not sure if it is the drift armor bar or not. No info on who it's from.

I used my Spencer Fabrications relocation brackets as the top mount, much easier than making my own.

Poor Dark Photo. Passenger side a/c condenser seems to stick out further than driver side, but I am not worried. I may raise the top a bit anyway.

Car is super close. Waiting on the rest of the exhaust parts so I finish that up. Need to get the coolant hoses routed. Depending on what local auto parts store has, I may get that done today. My Plan is to get the car back to DD Status by Monday.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #544
DustinS

It rained a bit, but I stuck it out and got some work done.

Washed the car for the first time in a Month. I feel terrible for not washing it sooner.

I pulled the Driver side header to get it ready for welding the flange on. Don't mind the terrible weld. I checked what the 3" V Band would look like. Gives me No extra room on the flange side. Trying to get a 3" exhaust on with these headers would be next to impossible. I think I will investigate new headers/custom headers here soon.

Cut the hood latch to clear the intake. Still need to clean it up and paint it.

Not happy with radiator hose routing, so that will change when I figure out where I want it to go, and when I start planning out the hood vent.

Intake seen above the radiator bumper off.

Intake with bumper on. Need to get a scoop made up to help guide fresh air into the filter.

Wiring Passenger side on:

Wiring Driver side:

Things not seen. Mostly because I didn't have my phone, and it was starting to rain harder. New VSS Plug was cut down the side to allow it to slip over the VSS Sensor so close to the trans mount. Got the driver side fender installed. The Hood latch cable was removed. I removed the TRD Rep wing I had, wanted to get the trunk underneath washed, and I need to reattach the wing. It has been on the verge of falling off for months now. No better time to get it installed correctly.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #545
jubella2

Drives: DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Things are really coming together now. Love the frequent updates!
jubella2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jubella2 For This Useful Post:
DustinS (05-11-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #546
DustinS

Despite Tornado warnings and a quick torrential downpour, still got some stuff done.

Flanges came in. They are definitely cheap and thin. Didn't warp too bad.

You can see how close it gets to the brake lines. I will notch the flange a tiny bit to get some room.

Wrapped the lines in some reflective heat wrap just to try and help.

*Car is a mess - Warning* Got the Dash Back in. Cannot wait to get the interior cleaned up and back together.

Wingless.

What took most of my night... Driver Side header welded up and wrapped.