follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #1
Maxim

Drives: 2010 GTI 2dr Tornado Red
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FR-S/Subie Coupe fantasy

Right, so all the really great performance cars have race models that directly, or indirectly, feed new technologies and ideas down to the production versions.

With Toyota and Subaru's history with rally racing....and their absence from it now, I was thinking:

How insanely cool would it be if WRC created a new rally class: Front engine, rear wheel drive, 2.0L naturally aspirated.

The displacement and lack of forced induction would help avoid the sillyness and danger of Group B, and it would allow both Toyota and Subie to get re-involved with rally racing.

Subaru is talking about splitting off the WRX from the Impreza line and making it it's own thing. There's rumors that it might go 2-door.

If WRC created that new class, the Subie Coupe could BE the WRX, and maintain it's rally heritage while switching to rear wheel drive. And Toyota's Celica could return as well.....throw in a roll-caged Miata effort from Mazda and you've got the beginnings of a good playing field.

0% chance of this happening, because it makes too much sense. Also, to avoid an imbalance in the level of awesome, the universe would probably have to get rid of something else awesome, like breasts, to make up for it.
Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
bofa

Drives: Ms. Daisy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxim View Post
0% chance of this happening, because it makes too much sense. Also, to avoid an imbalance in the level of awesome, the universe would probably have to get rid of something else awesome, like breasts, to make up for it.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
There is already a class for 2.0L NA cars.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #4
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
There is already a class for 2.0L NA cars.
Yes but they're all 4x4.

That might be FASTER for a rally car, but I bet a 2.0L NA RWD set-up would be more fun to watch.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
I don't think there's any regulations saying that all rally cars have to be 4WD to be able to race. it's that the evolution of the 4WD drivetrain has totally outcompeted the 2wd cars, so for the WRC all the manufacturers had to switch to 4WD to stay competitive. There are plenty of privateers running FWD and RWD cars in various rally events, just not at the top tier class.

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random_Art View Post
I don't think there's any regulations saying that all rally cars have to be 4WD to be able to race. it's that the evolution of the 4WD drivetrain has totally outcompeted the 2wd cars, so for the WRC all the manufacturers had to switch to 4WD to stay competitive. There are plenty of privateers running FWD and RWD cars in various rally events, just not at the top tier class.
Right. Which is why I think it would be cool to introduce a RWD only class. It would lead to some truly sick RWD developments.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I think it's a good idea....which is why it'll never happen
Old 05-29-2011, 07:32 PM   #8
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Quote:
I dig flat chests, so this would be too much awesome for me to handle.
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
Maxim

Well....Rally is my fave type of racing by far.....

But really, I'd enjoy ANY kind of racing series that involved the FR-S/Subie Coupe.

Trouble is....I don't think there's anything out there right now that it could compete in. The RX-8 competed against M3s and Mustang Boss race cars over the last couple years and I suppose that the FR-S, which will likely have very similar performance, could do the same, but it would require some SERIOUS development of the engine and/or forced induction.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #10
Random_Art
professional smartass

Drives: 16 speed mountain bike...
Quote:
Well....Rally is my fave type of racing by far.....

But really, I'd enjoy ANY kind of racing series that involved the FR-S/Subie Coupe.

Trouble is....I don't think there's anything out there right now that it could compete in. The RX-8 competed against M3s and Mustang Boss race cars over the last couple years and I suppose that the FR-S, which will likely have very similar performance, could do the same, but it would require some SERIOUS development of the engine and/or forced induction.
so you don't think it would be competitive at all on the pro drift circuit? if it can't compete in the one application Toyota seems to be gearing this car for, what the hell is the point of it?

Goodbye Celica, you served me well.

http://artsofrandomness.blogspot.com/
Random_Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #11
enc0re

Drives: BMW 325i (E46)
Drifting isn't exactly a racing series. From the looks of it, the FR-S will meet the FIA Super 2000 spec so it may be viable for touring car racing. Here's the list from Wikipedia:
  • Derived from production model, of which at least 2500 have been produced in the past year
  • Maximum of 2 liter (2000 cc) displacement
  • Normal Aspiration, Rally: 8500 rpm maximum, Circuit: 8500 rpm maximum for 4 cylinders, 8750 rpm maximum for 5 cylinders, 9000 rpm maximum for 6 cylinders.
  • All wheel drive is permitted in rally cars, but not in touring cars.
  • 6-speed sequential gearbox (Control specification), or 5-speed MT gearbox retaining original gear ratios.
  • Front and rear McPherson suspension
  • No electronic driver aids
  • Must be for sale at a maximum price of €168,000.
Looks like they'd have to take out the 6th gear (likely to be an extra long highway gear anyway) and that's it.
enc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #12
Fly Guy

Drives: '91 MR2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
Drifting isn't exactly a racing series. From the looks of it, the FR-S will meet the FIA Super 2000 spec so it may be viable for touring car racing. Here's the list from Wikipedia:
  • Derived from production model, of which at least 2500 have been produced in the past year
  • Maximum of 2 liter (2000 cc) displacement
  • Normal Aspiration, Rally: 8500 rpm maximum, Circuit: 8500 rpm maximum for 4 cylinders, 8750 rpm maximum for 5 cylinders, 9000 rpm maximum for 6 cylinders.
  • All wheel drive is permitted in rally cars, but not in touring cars.
  • 6-speed sequential gearbox (Control specification), or 5-speed MT gearbox retaining original gear ratios.
  • Front and rear McPherson suspension
  • No electronic driver aids
  • Must be for sale at a maximum price of €168,000.
Looks like they'd have to take out the 6th gear (likely to be an extra long highway gear anyway) and that's it.
It's my understanding that the rear suspension is independent, though.
Fly Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Guy View Post
It's my understanding that the rear suspension is independent, though.
McPherson struts are independent. I believe what you are searching for is that the FT-86 will have a double wishbone rear? No problem because

A) we don't know that for sure

b) BMW have multi-link rears in the 3 series and they seem to get by pretty well in touring cars. I have never bothered to check what if any modifications are made to comply.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Matador
hashiryu

Quote:
Originally Posted by enc0re View Post
Drifting isn't racing.

Or they could just use a sequential box like most every other racing team out there at that level.