follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-27-2023, 11:26 PM   #561
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
More on the gigacastings

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...ds-2023-09-27/

Quote:
At its Shanghai plant, Tesla's biggest worldwide, the company has been die casting the rear of the Model Y since 2020, which allowed it to cut related costs by 40%.
Seems like this is a smart way to go if they can manage to keep the process going and quality control where it needs to be. While the machine is huge, the single machine might be able to replace dozens to hundreds of machines, and it would produce a product in minutes that would take hours. A 40% reduction in cost on anything that is so much of the car is a big deal.
Old 09-28-2023, 11:41 AM   #562
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
its good for tesla to pad their profit margins by cutting labor and material costs but i still have doubts about these large superstructures when it comes to repairs.
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 09:36 PM   #563
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires View Post
its good for tesla to pad their profit margins by cutting labor and material costs but i still have doubts about these large superstructures when it comes to repairs.
It depends. It doesn't take much to total a car, but the car could be fixed. There are replaceable parts on the front for low speed crashes. What you are really talking about is a goldilocks zone of being significant, but not too significant. I think anything is repairable with replacement parts, but yes, there may be a goldilocks case where a typical car might be repairable and a gigacasting is not.

I really feel we may be needing to adapt for just a short time (decades not centuries) before most driving moves to autonomous driving. Accidents could be greatly minimized in the future with autonomous driving making the issue a moot point.

Also, I would expect these savings will work down to the consumer in the form of lower prices, especially in competitive markets. This is what we are seeing in China.
Old 09-30-2023, 02:06 PM   #564
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
I really feel we may be needing to adapt for just a short time (decades not centuries) before most driving moves to autonomous driving. Accidents could be greatly minimized in the future with autonomous driving making the issue a moot point.
this assumes that autonomous driving will ever be a real thing. fully autonomous cars mean the liability is on the company that programmed it for as long as the car exists. the current auto makers have made their 'baby steps' very apparent that they are trying to avoid increasing their liability for as long as possible-- even possibly indefinitely at this point.
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires (10-02-2023), wbradley (09-30-2023)
Old 09-30-2023, 02:23 PM   #565
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
this assumes that autonomous driving will ever be a real thing. fully autonomous cars mean the liability is on the company that programmed it for as long as the car exists. the current auto makers have made their 'baby steps' very apparent that they are trying to avoid increasing their liability for as long as possible-- even possibly indefinitely at this point.
Which just made me think that if fully autonomous cars do become prevalent in the future, they can charge exorbitant license fees that include their liability fund. Don't pay, vehicle locks up.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 07:39 PM   #566
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Which just made me think that if fully autonomous cars do become prevalent in the future, they can charge exorbitant license fees that include their liability fund. Don't pay, vehicle locks up.
i posted about it before a little, but i would call it more of a 'cascade failure' of the automotive industry.

if autonomy rules, the OEM's essentially become taxi companies. and if the OEM's are taxi companies, there is no reason for individual ownership. and if there's no reason for individual ownership, there's less need for as many vehicles, which will directly effect the profitability of the OEM's in their current leadership plans-- no company has announced intentions to get away from the vehicle sales model to focus on a usage-fee model.

of course, then there's also the trolley problem, the one that mercedes ironically tried getting ahead of, only for it to run them over. when they announced that their flavor of autonomy would prioritize their occupants lives over the outside world, to which the outside world had many things to say...

that blowing up in mercedes face has likely also cautioned other OEM's to be careful on their approach of the pit of snakes.

all i'm saying is that while we definitely have the hardware and technology to get autonomous cars on the road today, there's a whole lot of legal, regulatory, and impressional framework that needs to be in place first, and that is likely going to take decades, if not longer, to work out to the OEM's favor-- and their shareholders advantage--as it must, for them to proceed further with it.

we all know safety is, and always has been, 2nd fiddle to shareholder profits...
Old 10-01-2023, 01:58 AM   #567
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Level 4 autonomy is already a thing. Many companies have been doing self-driving deliveries. There isn't much difference between that and having self-driving taxes, which are also taking off in many major cities. When you say it will never be a thing, this has to be a gross exaggeration you are making. Clearly liability isn't a real problem or all these companies wouldn't be engaged in this business. Over time, it will only get better and better. If everyone was driving autonomous cars in autonomous modes with cameras, the risk to manufactures would be quite small. It may be decades away before we see a significant number of robo taxis and autonomous cars, but it is going to happen. Really, what is the difference between this and having airbags fail, breaks fail, fuel lines fail or anything else on the car fail to do what it needs to do? Clearly these manufactures believe they can make profit. Maybe they are confident they will have video evidence to back them up in court. Who knows?

https://www.makeuseof.com/companies-...-driving-cars/

https://www.axios.com/2023/08/29/cit...robotaxi-waymo
Old 10-01-2023, 02:09 AM   #568
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
This doesn't make any sense. If car companies were gouging people then all it takes is one company to not gouge people, and they get all the business. Your system only works with a monopoly/oligopoly.

Also, autonomous cars won't necessarily need the internet, no more than your brain needs the internet. A Tesla will drive just fine if you disable the cellular service. ICE and non-autonomous cars could have exorbitant license fees that include their liability fund too, and they could make the car lock up if you don't pay, so I don't know what you are talking about.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:32 AM   #569
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
i posted about it before a little, but i would call it more of a 'cascade failure' of the automotive industry.

if autonomy rules, the OEM's essentially become taxi companies. and if the OEM's are taxi companies, there is no reason for individual ownership. and if there's no reason for individual ownership, there's less need for as many vehicles, which will directly effect the profitability of the OEM's in their current leadership plans-- no company has announced intentions to get away from the vehicle sales model to focus on a usage-fee model.

of course, then there's also the trolley problem, the one that mercedes ironically tried getting ahead of, only for it to run them over. when they announced that their flavor of autonomy would prioritize their occupants lives over the outside world, to which the outside world had many things to say...

that blowing up in mercedes face has likely also cautioned other OEM's to be careful on their approach of the pit of snakes.

all i'm saying is that while we definitely have the hardware and technology to get autonomous cars on the road today, there's a whole lot of legal, regulatory, and impressional framework that needs to be in place first, and that is likely going to take decades, if not longer, to work out to the OEM's favor-- and their shareholders advantage--as it must, for them to proceed further with it.

we all know safety is, and always has been, 2nd fiddle to shareholder profits...
Seems like manufactures will go to where the technology and demand takes them. Anyone resisting change will just be left behind. Car companies have other ways of making money. If you have an hour commute, and you are in a car not driving, then that could mean you are watching TV, movie, internet, shopping, playing video games, whatever. Want to buy something from the mini fridge? There are more ways to make money than with volume.

Frankly, it would be nice to clean up the streets by having less cars just sitting around all the time. It's ugly. Ride sharing in pods would be better too, so people don't have to ride share, but there is less vehicles on the road. Ever look around and just think about where the hell did all these people come from. People everywhere. Ehhh.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:05 AM   #570
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Which is one reason homosexuality is being pushed on us. Less procreation, more resources for the living. Don't be fooled by the woke shills. Less personal freedoms, more dependence on leadership and more control over individuals behaviors. Again , don't be fooled by the godless, baby killing lizards who are subtly undermining and trying to alter our very reasons for living.

Last edited by Lantanafrs2; 10-01-2023 at 06:21 AM.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 08:38 AM   #571
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Which is one reason homosexuality is being pushed on us. Less procreation, more resources for the living. Don't be fooled by the woke shills. Less personal freedoms, more dependence on leadership and more control over individuals behaviors. Again , don't be fooled by the godless, baby killing lizards who are subtly undermining and trying to alter our very reasons for living.
Russian propagandists say that there are 99 different genders in western countries. Sounds like you would love Russian propaganda.

If homosexuality was pushed on you, was it painful? Did you report it to the authorities?

I read few threads here, but most of yours make you sound like an angry old conservative. Why don't you go petition against supplying weapons for Ukraine? LOL
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (10-01-2023), soundman98 (10-01-2023), villainous_frx (10-08-2023), ZDan (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 09:31 AM   #572
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Someone has gone off the deep end here…. WTF @Lantanafrs2
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
alex87f (10-01-2023), Lantanafrs2 (10-01-2023), wbradley (10-01-2023)
Old 10-01-2023, 10:03 AM   #573
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm doing just fine lol. Not an angry conservative either. How did this thread go from the original topic to fully autonomous pods, less people, arguments for and against faith etc. I'm enjoying the show just as I enjoyed watching the blubbering candyassed window lickers push their uneducated, fear based opinions on these threads during covid.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:27 AM   #574
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I'm doing just fine lol. Not an angry conservative either. How did this thread go from the original topic to fully autonomous pods, less people, arguments for and against faith etc. I'm enjoying the show just as I enjoyed watching the blubbering candyassed window lickers push their uneducated, fear based opinions on these threads during covid.
It depends what you consider uneducated. My major, for example was microbiology/biochemistry. But I quit university and didn't complete the degree, so technically I'm uneducated, my career was in sales. But I was still able to comfortably hold a conversation with a dean of physics from University of Toronto at my sister's retirement dinner. My brother, for example has a Dr. title in front of his name. But his interests other than his profession are far more limited than mine. He talks sports with his patients, and always keeps up on that. Thats his only real interest aside from work. My family always told me I'm way smarter than him. Maybe in Jeopardy. lol

If you gauge a person's education purely on degrees and designations, often what you will find is goal oriented individuals, and also some professional students. There are some people who are knowledgeable without a formal education or diploma. Everyone is different, but intelligence and education aren't always hand in hand. If a person had an interest and some background knowledge in virology to begin with, they might form a somewhat informed opinion on the pandemic as compared to someone with no previous interest in this topic.

Last edited by wbradley; 10-01-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers