follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2017, 05:02 PM   #785
Rybot

Drives: Subaru BRZ Series.Blue
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teseo View Post
Was plug-n-play? No hack job to get done?
Pretty much, yeah.

I had never installed a turbo before so it was all new to me.

I had some trouble with vacuum line sizes coming from the PCV, but that was mostly my fault for not thinking that far ahead.

The fan shroud fit on fine with a slight bit of coaxing (had to hit it softly with a deadblow to get it in place fully).

One of the bigger problems I had was the recirculation tube from the manifold to the downpipe. Again, just took a pry bar and a few spare hands to adjust the piping enough to fit, no hammering or anything. It just took like 20 minutes to figure out how to maneuver it properly.

The actual biggest issue was the charge pipe to the IC (only a problem with the no-trimming version since it connects behind the IC, not on top). I go into some detail in my thread. Mainly it was how it didn't really line up well causing the straight coupler to fit at a weird angle. It did prove to be a nuisance until I got a 45 degree coupler instead. I haven't had an issue with it since.

Other than my own ineptitude and having 3 other friends with less experience than myself help on the install, I'd say it's probably one of the easiest installs out there.

I did do a massive amount of research though, and I wrote up an install guide for myself where I pulled small snippets of info from TONS of sources to remind myself of certain procedures.

If you want a copy of it, I can send people a link, but it's nothing REMOTELY pretty. Just a bunch of pictures and snippets of text from various sources organized into a large file.

I did dyno the car, but I was unfamiliar with the "dead cams" problem our cars have if you tap the throttle within a few seconds of startup. So my car got dynoed without variable cams on (220ish whp at 8psi, 250ish whp at 12). I haven't taken it back yet, since I know it's more than that, and I don't care about the numbers that much. It's all about the experience.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:35 PM   #786
ATL BRZ
Driving Coach

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 4,137 Times in 1,707 Posts
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheGinge View Post
turbos on the smaller side, no plan of going e85? should sp0ol up quick though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybot View Post
I've had zero spool up issues with the 2867r in mine. Any reason why the 60r instead? Just want the latest and greatest? Did Jesse recommend that based on track metrics?
The Gen2 GTX2860R can support up to 475 hp, which nearly as much as a Gen 1 GTX2867R. Improved aero through CFD allows the Gen2 60R easily support my 400whp goal with E85. My car has been flexfuel for 3 years and I have no plans to change that. Jesse recommended and I agreed that I should choose the smallest turbo that can support my goal.

Gen2 GTX turbos are game changers.

Check it out: https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...tx2860r-gen-ii

ATL BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ATL BRZ For This Useful Post:
CxG (05-03-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:50 PM   #787
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL BRZ View Post

Gen2 GTX turbos are game changers.

Check it out: https://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbo...tx2860r-gen-ii
So I feel like a bit of an idiot, but how would I know if I got a GenII 2867R or not? I received the turbo itself back in May of last year. Were GenIIs out by then?

Last edited by Rybot; 03-31-2017 at 10:52 PM.
Rybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 AM   #788
Chumblebee
yabai

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Pretty much, yeah.

I had never installed a turbo before so it was all new to me.

I had some trouble with vacuum line sizes coming from the PCV, but that was mostly my fault for not thinking that far ahead.

The fan shroud fit on fine with a slight bit of coaxing (had to hit it softly with a deadblow to get it in place fully).

One of the bigger problems I had was the recirculation tube from the manifold to the downpipe. Again, just took a pry bar and a few spare hands to adjust the piping enough to fit, no hammering or anything. It just took like 20 minutes to figure out how to maneuver it properly.

The actual biggest issue was the charge pipe to the IC (only a problem with the no-trimming version since it connects behind the IC, not on top). I go into some detail in my thread. Mainly it was how it didn't really line up well causing the straight coupler to fit at a weird angle. It did prove to be a nuisance until I got a 45 degree coupler instead. I haven't had an issue with it since.

Other than my own ineptitude and having 3 other friends with less experience than myself help on the install, I'd say it's probably one of the easiest installs out there.

I did do a massive amount of research though, and I wrote up an install guide for myself where I pulled small snippets of info from TONS of sources to remind myself of certain procedures.

If you want a copy of it, I can send people a link, but it's nothing REMOTELY pretty. Just a bunch of pictures and snippets of text from various sources organized into a large file.

I did dyno the car, but I was unfamiliar with the "dead cams" problem our cars have if you tap the throttle within a few seconds of startup. So my car got dynoed without variable cams on (220ish whp at 8psi, 250ish whp at 12). I haven't taken it back yet, since I know it's more than that, and I don't care about the numbers that much. It's all about the experience.
I would actually like the install guide that you made, anything could help with my install since it is my first as well
Chumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 03:18 AM   #789
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumblebee View Post
I would actually like the install guide that you made, anything could help with my install since it is my first as well
Here's a link to the PDF. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...zNEWGVDTDdkRzA
Old 04-25-2017, 10:01 PM   #790
Chumblebee
yabai

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Where does the oil feed line connect to the block? Does it connect to the oil galley plug by the throttle body?

Thanks!
Chumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 PM   #791
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumblebee View Post
Where does the oil feed line connect to the block? Does it connect to the oil galley plug by the throttle body?

Thanks!
The oil feed is taken from the stock oil pressure dummy sensor below the oil filter location. I had to put a bunch of brass fittings in there on mine since I added a sensor for a gauge.

You can see it in the top right with the stock sensor (red). The after market one is JUST below it (blue).
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #792
chaoscentral

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Is that the new V2 kit? I was under the assumption from 86speeds videos they moved it to the galley plug next to the TB instead of using the sensor location.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #793
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoscentral View Post
Is that the new V2 kit? I was under the assumption from 86speeds videos they moved it to the galley plug next to the TB instead of using the sensor location.
I received the kit around April 2016, so not the absolute newest of new, but not really old either. This kit is the style that didn't require trimming the crash bar, but that shouldn't affect oil line routing.

Also, I'm currently using that oil galley plug for my oil temp sensor anyway, but it's not a bad location for the feed line in terms of placement.

So I don't know if I've got the V2 or not. I just know where it was intended to be installed.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:07 AM   #794
James The Giant

Drives: 2013 10 Series Scion Frs
I've been planning to install some form of forced induction this summer, and after countless hours of research I think I'm set on this kit... I'm hoping a few of you can chime in and answer a few questions. Also open to suggestions on my projected setup:

JDL single scroll turbo kit with GTX turbo, recirculating dump, ceramic coating, and the no cutting option
JDL oil cooler
Radium engineering dual catch cans
Kyoto Radiator
Moto-East Flex Fuel kit w/ upgraded injectors and fuel pump

Now, for the questions:
JDL does offer an option to retain the factory crash bar, without cutting or modifying it, correct? I have seen the bumper bar they sell, but would like to retain the OEM equipment for insurance purposes if possible. How much does it cost for this option?

Is ordering directly through JDL the only way to get the recirculating dump option? I have seen people talk about it here, but can't find it in any of the online stores...

Final question. Can I get the above mentioned options through other vendors besides JDL directly? I plan to have installation and tune done through MotoEast, so it would be convenient to buy everything through them, but it seems cheaper to piece everything together from separate vendors...

Advice?

(PS, thanks for all the info in this thread!)
James The Giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:39 AM   #795
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James The Giant View Post
I've been planning to install some form of forced induction this summer, and after countless hours of research I think I'm set on this kit... I'm hoping a few of you can chime in and answer a few questions. Also open to suggestions on my projected setup:

JDL single scroll turbo kit with GTX turbo, recirculating dump, ceramic coating, and the no cutting option
JDL oil cooler
Radium engineering dual catch cans
Kyoto Radiator
Moto-East Flex Fuel kit w/ upgraded injectors and fuel pump

Now, for the questions:
JDL does offer an option to retain the factory crash bar, without cutting or modifying it, correct? I have seen the bumper bar they sell, but would like to retain the OEM equipment for insurance purposes if possible. How much does it cost for this option?

Is ordering directly through JDL the only way to get the recirculating dump option? I have seen people talk about it here, but can't find it in any of the online stores...

Final question. Can I get the above mentioned options through other vendors besides JDL directly? I plan to have installation and tune done through MotoEast, so it would be convenient to buy everything through them, but it seems cheaper to piece everything together from separate vendors...

Advice?

(PS, thanks for all the info in this thread!)
I'll try to answer your questions in order and as best as I know.

JDL does in fact offer an option that doesn't require trimming the front crash bar. I myself have this option. As for cost, I'm honestly not sure how much more/less it was since I had a somewhat custom optioned kit.

As for the recirculating dump option, I just asked JDL if it was possible when I called up to get recommendations on turbo size and such. Your best bet is to speak directly to them, as you'll get the most current info as to options and what's in stock.

I'm not sure about your last question. My gut says that it'd be dumb for other companies to NOT offer common options, like a recirc, because that'll just push away business. That being said, I really have no idea. You should just call the various manufacturers to get that kind of info.

I was under the impression that MotoEast only did tuning, but I've never really looked into it. If they are "selling" someone else's kit and giving you a package deal with install included or something then it might be worth it, but, in my experience, it's always best to contact each individual business and see what they offer. Make an informed decision before buying things and consider how everything will be handled (shipping, getting parts to installer, car downtime, time frame, etc).

Sorry if my info doesn't help that much, but I hope I've assisted at least somewhat.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #796
James The Giant

Quote:
I'll try to answer your questions in order and as best as I know.

JDL does in fact offer an option that doesn't require trimming the front crash bar. I myself have this option. As for cost, I'm honestly not sure how much more/less it was since I had a somewhat custom optioned kit.

As for the recirculating dump option, I just asked JDL if it was possible when I called up to get recommendations on turbo size and such. Your best bet is to speak directly to them, as you'll get the most current info as to options and what's in stock.

I'm not sure about your last question. My gut says that it'd be dumb for other companies to NOT offer common options, like a recirc, because that'll just push away business. That being said, I really have no idea. You should just call the various manufacturers to get that kind of info.

I was under the impression that MotoEast only did tuning, but I've never really looked into it. If they are "selling" someone else's kit and giving you a package deal with install included or something then it might be worth it, but, in my experience, it's always best to contact each individual business and see what they offer. Make an informed decision before buying things and consider how everything will be handled (shipping, getting parts to installer, car downtime, time frame, etc).

Sorry if my info doesn't help that much, but I hope I've assisted at least somewhat.
Yeah I have called a few places, but I hate taking up so much of shops time with a million questions when I'm not sure I'll be spending money with them. I know they have a lot of actual work to do for paying customers, so I try to find what I can around here and on my own first.

I'm just torn, because on the one hand, buying everything through the shop doing the install/tune will make follow up, future mods, and warranty stuff much easier... But it seems I can save a lot (over $1000) buying the kit elsewhere, and getting the accessories from various websites.

Regardless, I'm super excited about this kit and can't wait until my savings account reaches the magic number shortly!

Will having a 2017 BRZ front bumper affect the intercooler routing at all? I had it installed by a shop, so I'm not exactly sure how the backside/inside differs. All I know is I had to buy way more parts than just the bumper to make it work, soooo not sure how much has changed up there as far as extra room.

I'd also love to hear how the recirc kit sounds if anyone knows of any videos, I haven't been able to find any.

Last edited by James The Giant; 05-04-2017 at 06:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:33 PM   #797
Rybot

Quote:
Originally Posted by James The Giant View Post
Yeah I have called a few places, but I hate taking up so much of shops time with a million questions when I'm not sure I'll be spending money with them. I know they have a lot of actual work to do for paying customers, so I try to find what I can around here and on my own first.

I'm just torn, because on the one hand, buying everything through the shop doing the install/tune will make follow up, future mods, and warranty stuff much easier... But it seems I can save a lot (over $1000) buying the kit elsewhere, and getting the accessories from various websites.

Regardless, I'm super excited about this kit and can't wait until my savings account reaches the magic number shortly!

Will having a 2017 BRZ front bumper affect the intercooler routing at all? I had it installed by a shop, so I'm not exactly sure how the backside/inside differs. All I know is I had to buy way more parts than just the bumper to make it work, soooo not sure how much has changed up there as far as extra room.

I'd also love to hear how the recirc kit sounds if anyone knows of any videos, I haven't been able to find any.
To your first point, you NEED to ask questions. I asked far too many questions because I had no idea what I was getting myself into. A good business will be willing to spend the extra time answering questions, otherwise how else can you convince yourself that the shop is genuine? I find talking directly with them to be the best indicator as to how they will conduct their business with me, especially when it comes to install questions and issues along with way, if any.

When it came to buying stuff, I bit the bullet HARD. I bought everything I needed, along with some extra hardware and stuff, and did the install myself to save on shop install costs. It was my first time doing anything NEAR this extensive to my car, but I had help (though the help was about as experienced as myself, if not less), and a garage that I could keep the car parked for a weekend. There's a reason I spend too too many hours assembling that document. I needed to know all the potential issues and all the tips/tricks.

I highly doubt the 2017 front bumper will give you problems. In fact, that lower grill piece pops out, as I recall, so it might even make things easier (though the bumper should still be taken off during install, regardless)

The reason you don't see recirc videos is because its meant to NOT be loud and obnoxious. It'll just sound like a not-quite-factory turbo system with all the whoosh (low boost blow off), psssHHH (high boost blow off), and sssSSSHHHHH (turbo spool) noises.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:51 PM   #798
James The Giant

Quote:
To your first point, you NEED to ask questions. I asked far too many questions because I had no idea what I was getting myself into. A good business will be willing to spend the extra time answering questions, otherwise how else can you convince yourself that the shop is genuine? I find talking directly with them to be the best indicator as to how they will conduct their business with me, especially when it comes to install questions and issues along with way, if any.

When it came to buying stuff, I bit the bullet HARD. I bought everything I needed, along with some extra hardware and stuff, and did the install myself to save on shop install costs. It was my first time doing anything NEAR this extensive to my car, but I had help (though the help was about as experienced as myself, if not less), and a garage that I could keep the car parked for a weekend. There's a reason I spend too too many hours assembling that document. I needed to know all the potential issues and all the tips/tricks.

I highly doubt the 2017 front bumper will give you problems. In fact, that lower grill piece pops out, as I recall, so it might even make things easier (though the bumper should still be taken off during install, regardless)

The reason you don't see recirc videos is because its meant to NOT be loud and obnoxious. It'll just sound like a not-quite-factory turbo system with all the whoosh (low boost blow off), psssHHH (high boost blow off), and sssSSSHHHHH (turbo spool) noises.
I have a pretty good idea of what I'm getting myself into, been in the car world for quite some time. Only all the cars I used to play with were used and cheap, so I didn't mind experimenting and swapping parts weekly. I need to do this one right the first time (famous last words) lol. You make a good point about getting to know the companies customer service and communication practices prior to giving them a boat load of money.

I'd love to do the install myself, but I live in a city row home, and a turbo install is slightly beyond a "jack stands in the street" project haha. I worked in a VW shop for extra cash in high school/college and now I rarely change my own oil... What have I become?!

Not being loud and obnoxious is exactly why I want the recirc kit. But I would still like to hear the noises before I purchase it. Not required, but just curious. I want the whistling and hissing, but not the screaming open exhaust every time I step on it.