follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

View Poll Results: What name should Toyota use for the production Toyota FT-1?
Supra gets my vote! 367 74.59%
I don't know, but its time for a new name. 125 25.41%
Voters: 492. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 06:27 PM   #2997
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelsew View Post
You can ditch the spare tire and get some extra crammed in the frunk
When I first bought the car the battery terminals were ancient and causing all kinds of problems. I removed the spare to replace the terminals and never put it back in.

I'm hoping to get the car's weight to 2,6XXlbs without any major interior gutting. That would be cool.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #2998
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I probably will not see 10 people at random today but I can ask random (non-car) people around my office. Sounds like an interesting experiment. So what is the question?

"Do you know what a Supra is?"

or

"Do you know what a Toyota Supra is?"

Edit: Just asked a 56 year old female:
"Do you know what a Supra is?"
"Yeah... a Toyota Supra?"
"Yes"
"Why"
"Just asking"
"It is my granson's favourite car"
Eplained
Old 07-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #2999
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrid_Funk View Post
“First of all, the Supra has always had an inline six-cylinder engine, and of course we have that with the new car, too."

He doesn't say only I6, or say anything about I4. So really nothing of substance was said in this interview, except maybe the remark about this being their last real petrol sports car. Which is also just speculation on his part.

I feel like I just need to start ignoring everything until an official spec sheet comes out.
That is actually a good point. So he give no details in the interview published by Toyota but tells a random internet editor some very important news? I presume that the two things occurred at the same event.

"How do you think the new A90 will be received by hardcore Supra fans?
Tada: “I’m really looking forward to hearing from them, actually. Thinking back to the introduction of the GT86, some owners of classic AE86 models were quite hard to please and were very critical of the new car. So it may be similar with this car. I know there are hardcore owners of the previous generations out there and it may be hard to convince them just by introducing a new car."

Would this question not be a great opportunity to say 'we have a couple of options that should please most fans' or something like that?

Maybe I am overthinking the whole thing but it makes zero sense to me that he told one person when they haven't even released any official stats yet.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #3000
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
While we’re having this discussion..are any of you actually planning to buy this new Supra? The TT i6 version is rumored to be around 55k-64k. If I ever get one, it will be in 5-6 years if I don’t do anything silly like get married or have kids I’m still learning things new things about the 86 anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the 4 cyl comes in under 3k lbs and is offered with a stick? Yes... AFTER paying off my BRZ

But yeah seeing how cars like this are disappearing, I doubt I’d have many options. Besides, even though it took 6 years, I did buy a twin in the end
Old 07-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #3001
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
If it comes with BMW drivetrain, it's going to be a nightmare to modify. Don't expect more than Intake and exhaust and maybe a piggy back tune Spliced into the harness. Untill someone cracks the ECU, it's going to intervene at every modification.

Also, when (not if) the twins die, I'd be willing to bet money on a hybrid replacement. (Think CR-Z but better sorted)

Toyota has been pushing hard to correlate their WEC hybrid to their road cars, and if the Toyota GR HV Concept is any indication, that'll be the first to get the hybrid powertrain. (Ok maybe second after their GR Super sports car).
The Following User Says Thank You to RayRay88 For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #3002
Mr. Kurtz

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rumors about the Supra are what led me to buy my 86. My plan was always to get the new Supra when it came out, and transition the 86 to my winter/trackday car.

That plan relied on the new Supra having two things: ~400hp, and a targa top. It looks like it will have neither. I'll reserve judgement until I see true official production details, but at this point, I can't see myself buying one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Kurtz For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-19-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 02:36 AM   #3003
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
I just have a request on the Camaro...please never refer to their handling as "nimble", okay? The new generation may handle extremely well for the rediculous mass they have been burdened with, but 'nimbleness' is not the correct term to associate with their handling. 'Planted', 'precise', 'quick', or 'direct'....sure... 'nimble'... no. I built a '98 Camaro RS hardtop track/autocross car (because lightest 4th Gen made and it had won Nationals in GS), stripped will full tank weighed in just over 3,100lbs and had MASSIVE antirollbar/Koni shocks/stock spring setup to really increase steering speed and rotation, with full spherical bearing and tubular arm rear suspension and 275/40-17 DOT-R Nitto 555R2s and 17x9.5 corvette Z06 replica wheels. WAY better than the stock car...and the brakes were AWESOME, yet it still was not a nimble car - very much a happier at steady state handling vehicle which could pull some nice G's and translate quick. But slolams though... yeah you could feel the mass and slowness of its rotation in the steering wheel - even though much quicker and precise than stock in yaw.

The '90 Integra RS track car I had would run circles around it and accelerate just as quickly... it is what could be considered a nimble car. Weighing right under 2,300lbs full tank, shifting the weight bias more forwards while also dropping the CG, its suspension setup, the 8lb flywheel, and 3M windo-welding the trailing arm bushings all added up to it rotating quicker than my modded FR-S does and with a slightly shorter wheelbase - really had to be on the ball with that car, but EXTREMELY fun on track. Actually ate cones the first few autocross runs shaking it down because it turned in too quickly compared to before the changes... and the accelerator pedal was actually the yaw control pedal...used it to precisely rotate the rear around slolams with more precision than the FR-S.

If you say nimble, I'm expecting it to feel like something along the lines of an extremely low rotational polar inertia vehicle, i.e. a Lotus Elise, Toyota MR2 (1st gen or Spyder), twin on a diet, etc... In other words a LOW mass vehicle with direct resulting unimpeded change of direction with ZERO hesistation. I know the newer Camaros can change direction quickly with that nice optional suspension but nimbleness is a matter of yaw feeling and effortlessness from lack of mass. Camaros fall very short in the 'lack of mass' category and don't have a low polar moment of inertia/high yaw rate - they translate quick, not yaw quick.

Okay, you are now free to resume guessing how much even the skinniest Supra will end up weighing...
HachiRokuX (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 05:55 AM   #3004
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
How about this real interview released by Toyota.

Did he forget there is going to be a 4 version or just didn't bother mentioning it when asked about what the fans should know?

http://blog.toyota.co.uk/new-toyota-...r-tetsuya-tada

This sounds ominous though:

Tada- “Looking at the current automotive industry, the talk is all about autonomous driving, electrification and artificial intelligence. What that’s doing is giving rise to a lot of strict regulations, and that limits our capacity to make emotional sports cars; it’s getting much more difficult to do that. So for the fifth point, I think the new Supra will be the last present from Toyota to those who enjoy hearing the pleasing sound of a pure petrol engine at high revs."
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
If it comes with BMW drivetrain, it's going to be a nightmare to modify. Don't expect more than Intake and exhaust and maybe a piggy back tune Spliced into the harness. Untill someone cracks the ECU, it's going to intervene at every modification.

Also, when (not if) the twins die, I'd be willing to bet money on a hybrid replacement. (Think CR-Z but better sorted)

Toyota has been pushing hard to correlate their WEC hybrid to their road cars, and if the Toyota GR HV Concept is any indication, that'll be the first to get the hybrid powertrain. (Ok maybe second after their GR Super sports car).
Yep. Tada pretty much says that outright in the real interview.
RayRay88 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:50 AM   #3005
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HachiRokuX View Post
While we’re having this discussion..are any of you actually planning to buy this new Supra?
No because:
  • It's a Supra in name only
  • It is a 2 seater and not a 2+2
  • It's more BMW than Toyota
  • There are other two seaters I'd rather own than a BMW

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (07-20-2018), Tcoat (07-20-2018), WolfpackS2k (07-25-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #3006
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
No because:
Yep to all.
I still think that the $50 to $65K prices being knocked around are going to be low. For just a little more I could get the V6 Jag Type F which is tough to beat for quality.
Dadhawk (07-20-2018), HachiRokuX (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 09:57 AM   #3007
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxis View Post
Only if it's 1000kg or less. You could always dump your fat girlfriend and use the passenger area.
How many grocery bags can I fit in my lap?
Man, a real frunk (the MRS did not have one like the SW20) would've been great!
Old 07-20-2018, 10:23 AM   #3008
HachiRokuX

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
No because:

I can’t help but think the new Supra will be criticized the same way the 86 is right now. I already see people saying

-“lol I could get a used XYZ for the price of a Supra” (valid though)
-“Auto only lol”
-“looks like a little BRZ/Miata”
-“60k for 350hp? Lol” (86 is critiqued for being a bad value against eco boost mustang etc.)

Etc.

I actually forgot about the RCF in this discussion. It’s a weird time when a car like that seems like more of a Supra successor than the new Supra. That said, I drove one and it handles like a boat. Definitely feels like a modded GSF.

The Supra seems more like an upscale 86, with two less seats..still want it, might be a fun track car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HachiRokuX For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (07-20-2018), funwheeldrive (07-20-2018), Tcoat (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #3009
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Don't forget the 86 isnt even a Toyota, it's a rebadged Subaru.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
daiheadjai (07-20-2018), HachiRokuX (07-20-2018), Overdrive (07-20-2018), Tcoat (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #3010
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
Don't forget the 86 isnt even a Toyota, it's a rebadged Subaru.
The same as the "Supra" is a rebadged BMW.
HachiRokuX (07-20-2018), strat61caster (07-20-2018)

Closed Thread

Tags
bmwforsuckers, boring-zzzzzzzzzzzzz, brz, celica supra confirmed, frs, ft-1, hatch-y +1, morethanucanaffordpal, nomanualnogo, supra, toyota, twins, watstheretailon1ofthose