follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2015, 01:59 AM   #71
zman

Drives: scion frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Hey OP..any updates on this...TODAY I NOTICED MY BRZ MAKING THE SAME NOISE FOR THE FIRST TIME.

22K miles. Baby the car. Car was warm and I was waiting at the bank drive through. Pulled up after the car was off for 3 min and heard it clearly..same as your first video. Then noticed it at idle when I got home for 30 seconds.

What happened in your case???

Hey sorry just seen this, although the noise does come back once in a while most of the time it's good. So far i noticed when I'm driving the car on higher rpms and stopping is when it mostly comes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zman For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-25-2015)
Old 12-25-2015, 03:53 AM   #72
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey OP..any updates on this...TODAY I NOTICED MY BRZ MAKING THE SAME NOISE FOR THE FIRST TIME. 22K miles. Baby the car. Car was warm and I was waiting at the bank. Pulled up and heard it clearly..same as your first video.

What happened in your case???
Sometimes this knock is found to be fuel pump. I noticed this when i started putting Arco gas. Premium of course.

I swapped to Shell and Chevron and its gone. Imo dont worry unless you find problems when accelerating. My 90 pickup does this too on super cheap gas.

This one isnt normal. Theres 2 knocks going on.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81496

^^^cause for concern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
That's normal if it's the tensioner pulley.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30540

imo your first video sounds weird but I wouldn't freak out, especially if it's intermittent, in the second video the noise doesn't last long enough but again doesn't worry me.
This is normal.

Also, @BRZnut

Op said dealer said it was normal because of fuel pump. Op believes it may be bad gas.

Last edited by Packofcrows; 12-25-2015 at 04:05 AM.
Packofcrows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Packofcrows For This Useful Post:
zman (12-25-2015)
Old 12-25-2015, 04:11 AM   #73
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritch View Post
So Ive had similar noises on my 2014 and been to the dealership and heard all these similar things on this forum and at the dealership. Folks on the forum say "that noise is not right", Dealership techs say "Its normal". I would agree with the forum members since the sound is no where near what I would say sounds like a modern new low mileage engine of any level. However I also know that sometimes owners hear things that the average knowledgeable tech rightfully doesnt bat an eyelash at. I have an especially critical ear and think that might play into it. But on another opposing point I also took the car in for both the fuel pump crickets and the window seal/squeak issue. Both which now sound like are back just weeks after being in the shop. I also know that the brand new cars dont sound like this on the lot.

IM COMFOOSED!!!!

Im almost at the point where Im going to take the advice of a wise old machinist I used to work with and get a louder stereo each time I hear a new noise until I don't hear noises anymore. I mean once I put on the exhaust I plan to put on I kind of doubt Ill be able to hear the engine compartment noise anyway and the car still performs well.

I realize this is a brand new engine but do the WRX and other boxer subbies have a similar loud topend sound as well? I heard someone say that ths subbie boxers were just loud mechanically. Could we all just be a bit too critical?
Lol our FA20 is quiet vs say...ej boxer engines. What makes our twins loud is the fuel pump/D4S. The FA20DIT on the WRX doesnt make these sounds. It has a Subaru di system.
Old 12-25-2015, 02:16 PM   #74
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packofcrows View Post
Sometimes this knock is found to be fuel pump. I noticed this when i started putting Arco gas. Premium of course.

I swapped to Shell and Chevron and its gone. Imo dont worry unless you find problems when accelerating. My 90 pickup does this too on super cheap gas.

This one isnt normal. Theres 2 knocks going on.

^^^cause for concern.

This is normal.

Also, @BRZnut

Op said dealer said it was normal because of fuel pump. Op believes it may be bad gas.

No , mine when it happened sounded like this one:

So, I suspect rocker arms are going, on a babied BRZ with 22K miles! DD, no track, never been above 5K RPM. Ridiculous. Since very intermittent and only after I stop and then restart a fully warmed engine, I am just going to watch and see if it gets worse. If it does, no time or patience to deal with an engine repair. Will just trade it in for a non-Subaru.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
zman (12-25-2015)
Old 12-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #75
zman

Quote:

So, I suspect rocker arms are going, on a babied BRZ with 22K miles! DD, no track, never been above 5K RPM. Ridiculous. Since very intermittent and only after I stop and then restart a fully warmed engine, I am just going to watch and see if it gets worse. If it does, no time or patience to deal with an engine repair. Will just trade it in for a non-Subaru.

Yes like mentioned above it could very well be bad gas. Try switching to shell v power premium. Idk if it really helps but that's what I'm using now. Also I think the dealer was right about the fuel pump thing. Overall most likely not a big deal.

Old 12-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #76
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Quote:

Yeah try switching gas and driving like 500miles. Good luck.

If all fails go to dealer.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:28 PM   #77
zman

Engine knock

Update: Knock still comes on randomly when the car is idle. Especially when I recently filled up from a different gas station.

I found this video online of the same noise but louder. The owner said they replaced the vacuum pump and it solved the problem. What is the vacuum pumps purpose?
Here is the video I found
[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qIlHnd39iHU[/ame]